Tomorrow (previously known as The In Crowd and before that as Four Plus One) were a 1960s psychedelic rock band. Despite critical acclaim and support from DJ John Peel who featured them on his "Perfumed Garden" radio show, the band was not a great success in commercial terms. They were among the first psychedelic bands in England along with Pink Floyd and Soft Machine. Tomorrow recorded the first ever John Peel show session on BBC Radio 1 on 21 September 1967.
Film director Michelangelo Antonioni intended to feature the band in his 1966 film Blowup, but instead used The Yardbirds. However Tomorrow did appear in the 'Swinging London' film Smashing Time under the name of The Snarks. John "Junior" Wood was ill and was replaced by John Pearce, a clothes dealer. Again their music was not used in the film. The rock group sounds used in the film are by Skip Bifferty.
The band released two singles, one of which, "My White Bicycle" was later covered by heavy rock act Nazareth, and as a novelty record by 'Neil the Hippy' (Nigel Planer) of The Young Ones TV series. According to drummer John 'Twink' Alder, the song was actually inspired by the Dutch Provos, an anarchist group in Amsterdam: they had white bicycles in Amsterdam and they used to leave them around the town. And if you were going somewhere and you needed to use a bike, you'd just take the bike and you'd go somewhere and just leave it. Whoever needed the bikes would take them and leave them when they were done .
Tomorrow's September 1967 single "Revolution" was likely the primary inspiration for the John Lennon song Revolution which was released a year later. Though Tomorrow's song was not a hit the group was well known to insiders of the London music scene. Frank Zappa met the group on his first trip to England in 1967 and praised Steve Howe's guitar solo on Claramount Lake. Zappa even played the record during a radio interview many years later.
Tomorrow singer Keith West is perhaps better known as a participant in Mark Wirtz's Teenage Opera project that gave him a solo hit single "Excerpt from a Teenage Opera (Grocer Jack) and brief commercial success. Guitarist Steve Howe later joined progressive rock band Yes, whilst Twink joined The Pretty Things on their concept album, S.F. Sorrow, before forming The Pink Fairies.
Steve Howe: Born 1947. Guitars. Howe later made a big name for himself as guitarist in progressive band Yes
Keith West ( Hopkins ): Born 1947. Vocals. West had a brief solæo career. In the mid-1970s he was singer for Moonrider.
John Wood: Bass
John Charles Alder (Twink): Born 1944. Drums. After the disbanding of Tomorrow Twink has played with numerous other artist. For a period he was a member of Pretty Things.
1. My White Bicycle / 2. Colonel Brown / 3. Real Life Permanent Dream / 4. Shy Boy / 5. Revolution / 6. The Incredible Journey Of Timothy Chase / 7. Auntie Mary's Dress Shop / 8. Strawberry Fields Forever / 9. Three Jolly Little Dwarfs / 10. Now Your Time Has Come / 11. Hallucinations
Rating : 7
1. Time Is on My Side / 2. Don't Lie to Me / 3. That's How Strong My Love Is / 4. Things She Says / 5. You're on Your Own / 6. I Don't Mind / 7. Am I Glad to See You / 8. Blow Up / 9. Three Jolly Little Dwarfs / 10. Revolution / 11. Excerpt from "A Teenage Opera" / 12. Sam / 13. Shy Boy / 14. Colonel Brown / 15. On a Saturday / 16. Kid Was a Killer / 17. Visit / 18. She / 19. Little Understanding / 20. Power and the Glory / 21. West Country / 22. Riding for a Fall / 23. Having Someone
Rating : 7
1. Am I Glad to See You / 2. Blow Up / 3. Caught in a Web / 4. Revolution [Orig. Vers.] / 5. Why / 6. Real Life Permanent Dream [Alt.] / 7. Three Jolly Little Dwarfs [Top Gear] /( 8. Revolution [Top Gear] / 9. Caught in a Web [Live] / 10. Shotgun and the Duck [Live] / 11. My White Bicycle [Live] / 12. Real Life Permanent Dream [Live / 13. Revolution [Live] / 14. Why [Live] / 15. Mr. Rainbow [Live] / 16. Strawberry Fields Forever [Live]
4. Tomorrow - deluxe + 12 - Caroline - 1999
1. My White Bicycle / 2. Colonel Brown / 3. Real Life Permanent Dream / 4. Shy Boy / 5. Revolution / 6. The Incredible Journey Of Timothy Chase / 7. Auntie Mary's Dress Shop / 8. Strawberry Fields Forever / 9. Three Jolly Little Dwarfs / 10. Now Your Time Has Come / 11. Hallucinations / 12. Claramount Lake / 13. Real Life Permanent Dream (Alt. ) / 14. Why / 15. Revolution (Phased ) / 16. Now Your Time Has Gone (Mono) / 17. 10,000 Words In A Cardboard Box / 18. Good Wizzard Meets Naughty Wizzard / 19. Me / 20. On A Saturday / 21. The Kid Was A Killer / 22. She / 23. The Visit
Rating : 8
4. Live and Unreleased - Clepatra - 2001
1. Am I Glad to See You [Unused Blow Up Film demo] / 2. Blow Up [Unused Blow Up Film demo] / 3. Three Jolly Little Dwarfs [Top Gear Radio Session] / 4. Revolution [Top Gear Radio Session] / 5. Caught in a Web [Live] / 6. Shotgun and the Duck [Live] / 7. My White Bicycle [Live] / 8. Real Life Permanent Dream [Live] / 9. Revolution [Live] / 10. Why [Live] / 11. Mr. Rainbow [Live] / 12. Strawberry Fields Forever [Live]
My Suggestion For a 80 minutes (app.) Best Of Compilation:
1. Real Life Department Dream ( Hopkins ) Tomorrow
2. Revolution ( Hopkins/Howe ) Tomorrow
3. Strawberry Fields Forever ( Lennon/McCartney ) Tomorrow
4. On a Saturday ( West ) Excerpts
5. You're on Your Own ( Hopkins ) Excerpts
6. Blow Up ( West ) Excerpts
7. Excerpt From a Teenage Opera ( Philwit/Hopkins ) Excerpts
8. My White Bicycle ( Hopkins/Burgess ) Tomorrow
9. Now Your Time Has Come - alt. ( Hopkins/Burgess ) Tomorrow + 12
10. Claramount Lake ( Hopkins/Burgess ) Tomorrow + 12
11. Colonel Brown ( Hopkins/Burgess ) Tomorrow
12. Shy Boy ( Hopkins/Burgess ) Tomorrow
13. Why ( McGuinn/Crosby ) Tomorrow + 12
14. That's How Strong My Love is ( Jameson ) Excerpts
15. Am I Glad to See You ( West ) Excerpts
16. The Incredible Journey of Timothy Chase ( Hopkins ) Tomorrow
17. Auntie Mary's Dress Shop ( Hopkins/Burgess ) Tomorrow
18. Three Jolly Little Dwarfs ( Hopkins/Burgess ) Tomorrow
19. The Visit ( West ) Excerpts
20. West Country ( West/Burgess ) Excerpts
21. Riding For a Fall ( West ) Excerpts
22. Me ( Alder/Wood ) Tomorrow + 12