The Nice was formed in October 1967 by Andrew Loog Oldham to support soul singer P. P. Arnold, who achieved considerable popularity with hits like "The First Cut is the Deepest" and "Angel of the Morning".
They recorded their first album in 1967, an album which tended toward the psychedelic. Classical and jazz influences were also significant. On this album The Nice were a four-pice, but guitarist left before the release of the second album 1968.
The third album from 1969, titled Nice in the UK and "Everything As Nice As Mother Makes It" in the US, featured one side recorded live on their American tour and one side of studio material.
By 1970 the Nice were frustrated with their lack of mainstream success and they soon broke up. They played their last concert on 30 March 1970. Emerson formed a band with Greg Lake (of King Crimson) and Carl Palmer (of Atomic Rooster) — Emerson, Lake & Palmer.
A posthumous Nice release Elegy included different versions of already familiar tracks, two being studio versions and two live from the 1969 U.S. tour.
Keith Emerson: Born 1944, keyboarda and composer.
Lee Jackson: Born 1943, bass and vocals.
Brian Davidson: Born 1942, drums.
David O'List: Born 1948, guitar, trumpet and vocals. Left after the first album
Tracks: 1. Flower King of Flies / 2. The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack / 3. Bonnie K / 4. Rondo / 5. War And Peace / 6. Tantalising Maggie / 7. Dawn / 8. The Cry of Eugene / 9. The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack [Single V.] * / 10. Azrial* / 11. The Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon * / 12. America * / 13. America*. [*] = bonus-tracks
Rating : 6
Tracks: 1. Daddy, Where Did I Come From / 2. Little Arabella / 3. Happy Freuds / 4. Intermezzo from the Karelia Suite / 5. Don Edito el Gruva" / 6. Ars Longa Vita Brevis / 7. Daddy, Where Did I Come From (single) * / 8. Happy Freuds (single)*. [*] = bonus-tracks
Rating : 6
Tracks: 1. Azrael Revisited / 2. Hang On To A Dream / 3. Diary Of An Empty Day / 4. For Example / 5. Rondo 69 / 6. She Belongs To Me / 7. Hang Onto A Dream (single)* / 8. Diary Of An Empty Day (single)* / 9. St Thomas* / 10. Pathetique Symphony 4th* / 11. Lt Kije (The Troika) Rondo*. [*] = bonus-tracks
Rating : 5
4. Five Bridges - Famous Charisma 1970
Tracks: 1. The Five Bridges Suite / 2. Intermezzo 'Karelia Suite / 3. Pathetique / 4. Country Pie/Brandenburg Concerto No. 6 / 5. One Of Those People / 6. The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack* / 7. Flower King of Flies* / 7. Bonnie K* / 8. Diary of an Empty Day* / 9. America*
Rating : 5
5. Elegy - Famous Charisma 1972
Tracks: 1. Hang On To A Dream / 2. My Back Pages / 3. Third Movement, Pathetique / 4. America / 5. Diamond-Hard Blue Apples Of The Moon* / 6. Dawn* / 7. Tantalising Maggie* / 8. Cry Of Eugene* / 9. Daddy Where Did I Come From? / 10. Azrial*
Rating : 5
Original albums as listed and rated on “Rate Your Music” - August 13 - 2012
346 The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack - 1967
450 Ars Longa Vita Brevis - 1968
546 Nice - 1969
924 Five Bridges - 1979 Check and Rate Here!
August 13 - 2012 "rateyourmusic.com"
My Suggestion For a 80 minutes (app.) Best Of Compilation:
1. Hang on to a Dream ( Hardin) - Nice
2. The Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon ( Emerson/Jackson ) The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack*
3. Diary Of An Empty Day ( Emerson/Jackson ) Nice
4. Daddy, Where did I Come From? ( Emerson/Jackson ) Ars Longs Vita Brevis
5. Happy Freuds ( Emerson/Jackson ) Ars Longs Vita Brevis
6. The Cry of Eugene ( Emerson/O'List ) The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack
7. The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack ( Emerson/Jackson/O'List ) The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack
8. America ( Sondheim/Bernstein ) The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack*
9. Little Arabella ( Emerson/Jackson ) Ars Longs Vita Brevis
10. Brandenburger ( Emerson/Jackson/Davidson ) Ars Longs Vita Brevis
11. Flower King of Flies ( Emerson/Jackson/O'List ) The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack
12. Azrial ( Emerson/Jackson/O'List ) The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack
13. Azrial Revisited ( Emerson/Jackson ) Nice
14. Bonnie "K" ( Jackson/O'List ) The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack