Formed around 1961 by Billy Kinsley and Tony Crane as a duo naming themselves The Mavericks, for a short while they called themselves The Pacifics, before being re-named The Mersey Beats in April 1962. Later in 62’, now as a four-piece with Aaron Williams and John Banks, the groups name was re-titled THE MERSEYBEATS. They were signed to the Brian Epstein organization, but Epstein failed to supply The Merseybeats with the same classy suits that he had given The Beatles, there was a dispute between artist and management. The bands displeasure brought an end to their relationship, the spilt with Epstein is something the group regret to this day.
The Merseybeats signed a record deal with Fontana and received their first big hit in 1963 with ‘It’s Love That Really Counts’ followed in 1964’ by their million selling recording ‘I Think of You’ which raced up the top ten and presented them with their first gold disc. The Merseybeats adopted their own distinctive style of fashion, the sartorial elegance they would have liked under Epstein. New tailoring saw them credited as the ‘Best Looking Group’ dressed in tight fitting suits with bolero jackets and frilly shirts, their outfits complete with high heeled zip boots provoked hysteria from their female fans. They received success with two more major hits, ‘Don’t Turn Around’ and ‘Wishin & Hopin’, Other successful recordings include ‘Last Night’ ‘Don’t Let It Happen To Us’ ‘I Love You Yes I Do’ ‘I Stand Accused’. ‘Mister Moonlight‘ ‘Really Mystified‘ ‘The Fortune Teller‘ ‘Lovely Loretta’ and ‘It’s Love That Really Counts’.
By 1965 Billy Kinsley left to be replaced by legenday bassist John Gustafson. The Merseybeats appeared regularly at Liverpool’s world famous Cavern Club and they hold the distinction of appearing with The Beatles on more occasions than any other band from that era. Their success brought them international recognition, 1964 saw The Merseybeats appearing in Germany, the U.S.A. and even having their own Merseybeats Show on Italian television.
In 1966 Tony Crane and a returning Billy Kinsley went out as a vocal duo shortening their name to The Merseys fronting a band known as The Fruit Eating Bears, they had an enormous hit with ‘Sorrow’ which has become a sixties classic and mentioned as a favourite by many stars. David Bowie even recorded a version ‘as a tribute to his favourite band!.
Tony Crane: Lead guitar & lead vocals. Original member who is still running the band today
Billy Kinsley: Rhythm guitar, bass and lead vocals. Kinsley was the other founder member. He has been in and out of the group. In 2002 he was in playing here in Denmark led by Tony Crane and his son.
Aaron Williams: Rhythm guitar. Was with the band from 1962-65
John Banks: Drums. Was with the band from 1962-65.
John Gustafson: Bass. Replaced Kinsley around 1964. Gustafson has achieved himself a legendary status as a terrific bass-played and was playing with Roxy Music on several of their records
1. The Merseybeats - Fontana TL 5210 - 1964
1. Milkman / 2. Hello Young Lovers / 3. He Will Break Your Heart / 4. Funny Face / 5. Really Mysified / 6. The Girl That I Marry / 7. Fools Like Me / 8. My Heart And I / 9. Bring It On Home To Me / 10. Lavender Blue / 11. Jumping Jonah / 12. Don't Turn Around
Rating : 6
2. Merseybeats - German version - Fontana 1964
1. Wishin and Hoping /2. Milkman / 3. Hello Young Lovers / 4. Fortune Teller / 5. He Will Break Your Heart / 6. Funny Face / 7. Really Mysified / 8. Nur Unsere Liebe Zählt/ 9. Mr Moonlight / 10. Fools Like Me / 11. My Heart And I / 12. Bring It On Home To Me / 13. Jumping Jonah / 14. Don't Turn Around / Nur Du Allein
Rating : 7
3. Greatest Hits ( re-recordings ) - London 1977
1. I Think of You / 2. Wishin and Hoping / 3. Fortune Teller / 4. Mr Moonlight / 5. It´s Love That Really Counts/ 6. I´ll Be Home / 7. Sorrow / 8. Don´t Turn Around / 9. I Love You, Yes I Do / 10. You Can´t Judge a Book by the Cover / 11. American Dream
Rating : 4
4. Beat and Ballads ( comp.) - Edsel 1982
1. The Fortune Teller / 2. It´s Love That Really Counts / 3. Really Mystified / 4. I Think of You / 5. Mister Moonlight / 6. Don´t Turn Around / 7. I´m Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry / 8. Wishin and Hoping / 9. Milkman / 10. See Me Back / 11. Don´t Let it Happen to Us / 12. Last Night / 13. Fools Like Me / 14. He Will Break Your Heart / 15. TI Love You, Yes I Do / 16. I Stand Accused
Rating : 8
5. The Very Best of the Merseybeats - Spectrum 1998
1. I Think Of You / 2. Don't Let It Happen To Us / 3. Wishin' And Hopin' / 4. I Love You Yes I Do / 5. I Stand Accused / 6. Last Night / 7. Long Tall Sally / 8. It Would Take A Long Long Time / 9. Milkman / 10. It's Love That Really Counts / 11. Fortune Teller / 12. Mister Moonlight / 13. Hello Young Lovers / 14. He Will Break Your Heart / 15. Really Mystified / 16. Good Good Lovin' / 17. Don't Turn Around / 18. See Me Back / 19. Jumping Jonah / 20. All My Life
Rating : 8
6. I Think of You [the Complete Recordings] - Bearf 2003
1. It's Love That Really Counts / 2. Fortune Teller / 3. I Think Of You / 4. Mister Moonlight / 5. Don't Turn Around / 6. Really Mystified / 7. Wishin' And Hopin' / 8. Milkman / 9. Last Night / 10. Send Me Back / 11. Don't Let It Happen To Us / 12. It Would Take A Long Long Time / 13. I Love You Yes I Do / 14. Good Good Lovin' / 15. I Stand Accused / 16. All My Life / 17. Hello Young Lovers / 18. He Will Break Your Heart / 19. Funny Face / 20. Girl That I Marry / 21. Fools Like Me / 22. My Heart And I / 23. Bring It On Home To Me / 24. Lavender Blue / 25. Jumpin' Jonah / 26. Long Tall Sally / 27. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry / 28. Shame / 29. You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover / 30. Nur Uns're Liebe Zahlt / 31. Nur Du Allein
Rating : 8
7. Merseys, The A & B Sides, Rarities & More : 1964-1968 - Oxford 2005
1. Sorrow / 2. Some other Day / 3. So Sad About Us / 4. Love will Continue / 5. Rhythm of Love / 6. Is it love / 7. The cat / 8. Change of Heart / 9. Penny in my Pocket / 10. I Hope You´re Happy / 11. Lovely Loretta / 12. Dreaming / 13. Honey Do / 14. It Happens All the Time / 15. It´s a Crime / 16. I´ve Never Been So Much in Love / 17. Just to Be With You / 18. Sweet Day / 19. Take Me For a Little While / 20. Make Me Your Number One / 21. Bumper to Bumper / 22. Scrape to My Boot / 23. Alright Baby / 24. Love You All Over Again / 25. Cool It / 26. Mark of Her Head / 27. Hello Memories / 28. Pretend
Rating : 7
Original album as listed and rated on “Rate Your Music” - December 25 - 2005
154 The Merseybeats - 1964
Check and Rate Here!
December 25 - "rateyourmusic.com"
My Suggestion For a 80 minutes (app.) Best Of Compilation:
1. I Love You, Yes I Do ( Wood/Sailor/Marcus/Nix/Glover ) Single 1965
2. Sorrow ( Feldman/Goldstein/Gottehrer ) Single 1966
3. Milkman ( Crane/Gustafson ) The Merseybeats
4. Really Mystified ( Crane/Gustafson ) The Merseybeats
5. Don´t Turn Around ( Stirling ) The Merseybeats
6. It´s Love That Really Counts ( Bacharach/David ) Single 1963
7. See Me Back ( Crane/Gustafson ) Single 1964
8. Last Night ( Springer/Kaye ) Single 1964
9. I Stand Accused ( Colton/Smith ) Single 1965
10. Wishing and Hopin´ ( Bacharach/David ) The Merseybeats - Germany
11. Don´t Let it Happen to Us ( Edwards/David ) Single 1965
12. So Sad About Us ( Townshend ) Single 1966
13. I Think of You ( Stirling ) Single 1963
14. It Would Take a Long Long Time ( Crane/Williams ) Single 1965
15. American Dream ( Trad. Crane ) Greatest Hits 77
16. He Will Break Your Heart ( Butler/Mayfield) The Merseybeats
17. Fools Like Me ( Clement/Maddox) The Merseybeats
18. The Cat ( Greenaway/Cook) Single 1967
19. Dreaming ( Campbell ) B-side 1968
20. Take Me For a Little While ( Gustafson ) J. G. single 1965
21. Mark of Her Head ( Gustafson ) Quotations single 1968
Official Web-site Discography
Back To GREAT BANDS