Humble Pie was formed early 1969 and the band was an example of the trend of calling new bands with well-known musicians a "supergroup". Guitarist and singer Steve Marriott had a long career behind him as the front figure in Small Faces and Peter Frampton had been a member of the short-lived Herd. With ex-Spooky Tooth bassist Grag Ridley and young drummer Jerry Shirley the line-up was complete.
Their first single "Natural Born Bugie" was an immediate success and they recorded and released two fine albums on the Immediate label during 1969-70. The music was a fine mixture of hard-rock with several acoustic songs.
They did not succeed in maintaining the succes of their first single, so they changed direction towards a much harder rock-approach. Frampton left after the first AM album in 1971 to be replaced by formed Colluseum guitarist Clem Clempson.
Eventually the band ran out of inspiration and they broke up in 1975. Artistically their first two album were by far their most succesful. Commercially the biggest success was the 1972 album "Smokin´"Band Members:
The band was reformed in 1980 by Marriott and Shirley for two more albums.
Steve Marriott: Born 1947. Composer, vocals, guitar. Marriott was a fine songwriter and a originally a great singer. Unfortunately his voice was grudually ruined, and his performances un the later albums are often poor. He reunted with Small Faces period to record two new albums; but the magic never reappeared. Marriott tragically died in 1991 following a fire at his home.
Peter Frampton: Born 1950. Lead guitar and vocals. Frampton is a fine guitarist, and he had great success as a solo artist after his Humble Pie days.
Greg Ridley: Born 1943. Bass
Jerry Shirley: Born 1952. Drums.
Clem Clempson: Born 1949. Lead guitar.
1. As Safe as Yesterday Is - Immediate 1969
1. Desperation / 2. Stick Shift / 3. Buttermilk Boy / 4. Growing Closer / 5. As Safe As Yesterday Is / 6. Bang! / 7. Alabama '69 / 8. I'll Go Alone / 9. Nifty Little Number Like You / 10. What You Will / 11. Natural Born Bugie* / 12. Wrist Job* [*] = Bonus-track
Rating : 7
2. Town and Country - Immediate 1970
1. Take Me Back / 2. Sad Bag of Shaky Jake / 3. Light of Love / 4. Cold Lady / 5. Down Home Again / 6. Ollie Ollie / 7. Every Mother's Son / 8. Heartbeat / 9. Only You Can See / 10. Silver Tongue / 11. Home and Away / 12. 79th Street Blues* / 13. Greg's Song* [*] = Bonus-track
Rating : 8
3. Humble Pie - AM Records 1970
1. Live With Me / 2. Only a Roach / 3. One-Eyed Trouser-Snake Rumba / 4. Earth and Water Song / 5. I'm Ready / 6. Theme from Skint / 7. Red Light Mama, Red Hot! / 8. Sucking on the Sweet Vine
4. Rock On - AM Records 1971
1. Shine On / 2. Sour Grain / 3. 79th And Sunset / 4. Stone Cold Fever / 5. Rollin' Stone / 6. A Song For Jenny / 7. The Light / 8. Big George / 9. Strange Days / 10. Red Neck Jump.
5. Smokin´- AM Records 1972
1. Hot 'N' Nasty / 2. The Fixer / 3. You're So Good For Me / 4. C'Mon Everybody / 5. Old Time Feeling / 6. 30 Days In The Hole / 7. A) Road Runner B) Road Runner's 'G' Jam / 8. I Wonder / 9. Sweet Peace And Time
Rating : 4
6. Eat It - AM Records 1973
1. Get Down to It / 2. Good Booze and Bad Women / 3. Is It for Love? / 4. Drugstore Cowboy / 5. Black Coffee / 6. I Believe to My Soul / 7. Shut up and Don't Interrupt Me / 8. That's How Strong My Love Is / 9. Say No More / 10. Oh, Bella / 11. Summer Song / 12. Beckton Dumps / 13. Up Your Sleeves / 14. Honky Tonk Women / 15. (I'm A) Road Runner
7. Thunderbox - AM Records 1974
1. Thunderbox / 2. Groovin´ With Jesus / 3. I Can´t Stand the Rain / 4. Anna / 5. No Way / 6. Rally With Ali / 7. Don´t Worry, Be Happy / 8. Ninety Nine Pounds / 9. Every Single Day / 10. No Money Down / 11. Drift Away / 12. Oh-La-De-Da
8. Street Rats - AM Records 1975
1. Street Rat / 2. Rock And Roll Music / 3. We Can Work It Out / 4. Scored Out / 5. Road Hog / 6. Rain / 7. There 'Tis / 8. Let Me Be Your Lovemaker / 9. Countryman Stomp / 10. Brive My Car / 11. Queens And Nuns
9. On to Victory - Atco 1980
1. Fool For Pretty Face / 2. You Soppy Pratt / 3. Infatuation / 4. Take It From Here / 5. Savin' It / 6. Baby Don't You Do It / 7. Get It In The End / 8. My Lover's Prayer / 9. Further Down The Road / 10. Over You
10. Go For the Throat - Atco 1981
1. All Shook Up / 2. Teenage Anxiety / 3. Tin Soldier / 4. Keep It On The Island / 5. Driver / 6. Restless Blood / 7. Go For The Throat / 8. Lottie And The Charcoal Queen / 9. Chip Away
Original albums as listed and rated on “Rate Your Music” - March 28 - 2006
125 Smokin´ - 1972
186 As Safe As Yesterday Is - 1969
192 Rock On - 1971
199 Town and Country - 1969
323 Humble Pie - 1970
376 Thunderbox - 1974
392 Eat It - 1973
505 Street Rats - 1975
597 On to Victory - 1980
Check and Rate Here!
December 25 - "rateyourmusic.com"
My Suggestion For a 80 minutes (app.) Best Of Compilation:
1. Natural Born Bugie ( Marriott ) As Safe As Yesterday Is
2. Heartbeat ( Holly ) Town and Country
3. Every Mother´s Son ( Marriott ) Town and Country
4. Light of Love ( Ridley ) Town and Country
5. Desperation ( Kay ) As Safe As Yesterday Is
6. Wrist Job ( Marriott ) As Safe As Yesterday Is
7. Sad Bag of Shaky Jake ( Marriott ) Town and Country
8. Only You Can See ( Frampton ) Town and Country
9. Home and Away ( Frampton/Ridley ) Town and Country
10. Alabama 69 ( Marriott ) As Safe As Yesterday Is
11. What Will You Be ( Marriott ) As Safe As Yesterday Is
12. 79th Street Blues ( Marriott ) Immediate Anthology
13. Every Mother´s Son - alt. ( Marriott ) Immediate Anthology
14. You´re So Good for Me ( Marriott/Ridley ) Smokin´
Back To GREAT BANDS