PO Box 527
Tel: 082 423 7186
A teacher of English as a second or foreign language with a wide range of experience with ages, class size and cultures. Able to teach a wide range of subjects from beginning English to multiplication to English for Special Purposes. High level of flexibility in classroom situations with varying amounts of resources. Skilled at setting students at ease and creating a relaxed and fun learning atmosphere.
- As a Peace Corps volunteer I have shown approximately 40 primary school educators that learning can be fun and interesting for everybody.
- I have also shown teachers how to create their own resources from recycled materials and the benefit of using songs and chants, which has improved the morale of both teachers and learners.
- As an English instructor in Japan I helped over 400 students gain confidence in their English speaking ability.
2002- present United States Peace Corps
School and Community Resource Volunteer
The U.S. Peace Corps Education and Community Resource project helps schools and communities identify needs and figure out ways to fulfill those needs.
Responsibilities and Achievements:
2000-2002 David English House, Hiroshima, Japan
- Conducted workshops for 18 primary school teachers from two schools on designing school curriculums based on the South African Revised National Curriculum Statement.
- Also conducted various other workshops including creating resources and classroom games at three primary schools.
- Taught and team taught over 50 demonstration lessons in grades 1-7 in various subjects including Sotho literacy, Natural Science, English, Mathematics and Origami
- Provided ideas, materials and labour for starting a library at one primary school.
English Conversation Instructor
David English House offers English as a foreign language instruction to students from 6 years old to senior citizens in a variety of settings and class sizes.
Achievements and Responsibilities:
2000 Angel Fire Resort, Angel Fire, New Mexico, USA
- Taught first year University students at Hiroshima Daigaku, Bunkyo University and Chuo College, 1 or 2 days per week. Included creating and administering exams and grading learners’ performances. Class size ranged from 2 to 40.
- Taught grade 12 students 2 hrs per week at Bunkyo High School, created and administered exams and assigned marks.
- Taught various other small classes for children, housewives, business people, hospital employees, retirees and conducted a once a month book discussion group for a group of women.
1999 Westgate Corporation, Gotemba, Japan
- Taught people from ages 7 to adult how to snowboard safely.
- No one in my classes was ever seriously injured, and 99% of them had fun.
Westgate Corp. is an English Conversation school that offers extra-curricular lessons to University and College Students on various campuses around the Tokyo area.
English Language Instructor
1997-1999 Angel Fire Resort, Angel Fire, New Mexico, USA
- Taught beginning conversation to 60 learners in 40 minute lessons five times per week at Tokyo University of Technology.
- Taught university employees intermediate conversation 1 hour per week.
- Evaluated students and wrote quarterly reports for each student.
1999 Guest Services Assistant Manager
1997-1998 Guest Services Representative
- Supervised 5 guest services representatives
- Assisted manager in her duties, including training representatives
- Resolved customer complaints
- Took reservations and answered questions about services offered by the resort
- Sold tickets and yearly passes and settled the books at the end of each day.
Peace Corps volunteer training, including cross cultural communication, how to conduct workshops, community project design and management, library management, and business plan writing. Teacher training at David English House, one week at the beginning and two one-day inservices. Teacher training at Westgate, 3 days at the beginning.
TEFL/TESL Certificate, July, 1999. Centro de Estudios Interamericanos and Augustana College. Cuenca, Ecuador.
Focused on a communicative approach. Did practice teaching with beginning and intermediate adult students.
B.A., Spanish, June, 1994. University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Date of Birth: 23rd May 1971
Languages: English- native speaker, Spanish- near fluency, Japanese- survival, Northern Sotho- beginning/intermediate
I enjoy travelling, karate, snowboarding, reading, cooking and camping
REFERENCES: Available upon request
My Home Page