© Bataan Corregidor Memorial Foundation of New Mexico, Inc.

A 501-(c)-3 corporation.

Best viewed with IE 6.0+. Enable Java Script and allow Pop-ups.

Bataan-Corregidor Memorial Foundation of New Mexico, Inc. GUEST BOOK


NOTE - If you would like to place a message in our Guest Book, contact our Web Site Administrator. Please state in your E-mail that you are posting to the Guest Book, otherwise, we will assume your correspondence is private.

Robert Sandoval 3/6/2011 4:07 PM MST

I was christened, Roberto Carlos Sandoval. Carlos Armijo, was my baptismal godfather. He and my father, Joseph Sandoval, were the best of friends in Las Vegas.


1948, I was preparing to make my first communion. Of course the question comes up as to who were my godparents? That's when I found out about Carlos, and the infamous death march that eventually claimed his life. Death being a foreign concept to me, I'm not sure of my reaction at the time. I do know that Mrs. Armijo, Carlos' mother, did attend the small reception at we had at my grandmother's home. Her gift to me was Carlos' first communion prayer book and a $5 bill he gave her. I hope I still have the prayer book.


I didn't know it, but for years, my father, who was also a vet, wanted to know how Carlos perished. Many years later, he asked a POW from Las Vegas, who was also in the same POW camp, and he told my father the story. I don't want to relay the story as it would only be hearsay on my part.


If any family member sees this posting, I would like to hear from you regarding my godfather Carlos.


Robert Sandoval

Fullerton, CA


Carlos Arturo Armijo from Las Vegas, New Mexico, was attached to D Battery, a Gallup, New Mexico battery. When the Regiment was split the night of December 8, 1941, Carlos was reassigned to D Battery in the newly formed 515th Coast Artillery. Ready to give up on the Bataan Death March, he was saved by the 200th's Miguel Gallegos who pulled him from a ditch and aided him on to Camp O'Donnell. On July 7, 1942, Carlos succumbed to disease at Cabanatuan prison camp. His remains were reinterred post-war at Manila American Cemetery. Carlos' sister Carmen was married to the brother of the father of the 200th's Robert Blattman who was liberated at war's end.

Tom 1/15/2011 8:52 PM MST

This note is to let you know your service and the suffering you survived shall never be forgotten. I lived in Manila for two months with all the modern conveniences and I can’t imagine what it must have been like or you fellas. I spoke with the young Filipinos I lived with and unfortunately they seem to have little knowledge of the WWII prisoners of war, which dismayed me. I tried to explain why they should remember what happened to all of you including captured Filipino prisoners but they seemed strangely removed from my concerns. Apparently, time has erased the events no American or Filipino should forget.


I am an Air Force veteran. I have spent the last 30 plus years in a wheelchair since being paralyzed during my duty. I served state-side during the Vietnam era.


I have a special appreciation for all my brother veterans and a particular spot in my heart is held for POWs. I try to tell my family and friends what I know about Bataan. I’ll never forget your sacrifice. Frankly, it's hard for me to understand why our government has not recognized Bataan like they do for Pearl Harbor and 9/11.


I shall attend one of your monthly meetings before I die. Thanks for keeping our country free.


Sincerely yours,

Tom Watson

Redding, California

Ronald Terrazas 11/23/2010 11:38 PM MST

Your website honors us all, but especially those who served there. Thank you. My father, S/Sgt Nick Terrazas, from Gallup, served in the 200th/515th. He never got over the shock of it. In his late years I took care of him as he was declining. He would often scream in his sleep, and when I would rouse him he would raise his arms to protect his face as if thinking I were a Japanese soldier about to beat him. He never really recovered from the illnesses of the prison camps in the Philippines, Formosa, Manchuria or Japan, and was awarded full veteran's pension for most of his last 20 years. He was awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star, but never really spoke of the details of the war to us in the family. So much of it is a mystery to us. He died in Albuquerque 1996, had a huge military funeral in Santa Fe where he is buried.

Ruben Medina 11/15/2010 5:39 PM MST

Mr. Rodriguez,


I came across your post on the Bataan Memorial website (read post) and I wanted you to know that I was moved by your consideration of Mr. Chavez's family in New Mexico. My grandfather, Reynaldo "Buffalo" Gallegos was a member of the 200th Coast Artillery out of Santa Fe and if not for his strength and determination, I simply would not be here today. We are all blessed to live in this beautiful country and it is men like you, my father (served in Viet Nam with the 25th Infantry) and my grandfather who make it possible.


Thank you sir.


Ruben Medina | President / CEO

Cumbre Insurance Services | Lic. 0708981

3333 Concours, Suite 5100. | Ontario, CA 91764

909.484.2456 ext 121 | 909.484.2491 Fax

Office | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tonya Robitaille 8/27/2010 8:16 AM MST

I would like to find out if there is anyone with any information on my great Uncle Homer Ray Dawes, who did not survive the death march and died Jan. 2, 1943.


If you could post this to your guest book that would be wonderful! Thanks!

Richard Garcia 6/26/2010 9:51 AM MST

I was wondering if those that posted knew or met my uncle Alejandro Montes during the Death March, or if you might be able to post a message to the list and anyone that did know him reply to me personally?


Thank you,

Richard Garcia

Jim Thomas 6/10/2010 9:23 PM MST

I just found this wonderful website. I grew up across from Bataan park and raised the flag there for 15 years until my commissioning as an ensign in the Navy in 1983. My Father, Bob Thomas, carried on the tradition until his death in 2003. I had an Uncle, Orlando De Venzeio, who was a death march survivor and a member of the 200th Coast Artillery.


Bataan park was a great place to grow up as the other neighborhood kids and I played in the park daily. I fondly remember the memorial day ceremonies and I attended each one of them. I was quite taken by the pomp and pageantry and is probably one reason why I joined the Navy. While I was stationed in Guam Eva Jane Matson published her book "It Tolled for New Mexico." There is a chapter in the book entitled "Six boys and the Flag" devoted to all of us who raised the flag.


Thank you for honoring the survivors. I will spend many hours going over this website.


Best Regards

Jim Thomas

Chesapeake, VA

Samuel P. Sears 12/5/2009 11:53 PM MST



After my grandma passed away, my mom discovered a box in the cedar chest that contained several pieces of information regarding my Great Uncle Paul Palumbo.


The military correspondence indicates that Uncle Paul died September 7, 1944 when the Hell ship transporting him was sunk. We are fortunate to have his flag, a large picture of the 200th, three of his medals and the correspondence surrounding his ordeal, but we don’t have any other information about him or the circumstance during that time period. My grandmother told us stories of train rides from Trinidad to New Mexico to try to learn anything about Uncle Paul and what might have happened to him and the frustration of not having any tangible news.


My research to learn more about Uncle Paul and his unit, the 200th, led me to this website. Thank you very much to all those that bravely served and thank you very much to all of you that have worked tirelessly to preserve the memory, sacrifice and triumph of all those who answered the call.


Please post this on your Guest Book. If anyone has any information about Paul Palumbo, we would be grateful to learn more about him.


Thank you so much,


Richard Lafleur 8/29/2009 6:33 AM MST

I just found your web site this morning. We are looking for information on Lt. Father Joseph Verbis Lafleur, he was a Chaplain at Clark Field during the initial attack. He was with the 19th Bombardment Group.


He was in Albuquerque, New Mexico for his training.


We would appreciate any information.


Thank you so very much,

Carrol and Richard Lafleur


BCMFofNM Note: From [then] Kirtland Air Field in Albuquerque, New Mexico, under command of Lt. Colonel Eugene Eubank, the 19th Bomb Group, made aviation history when it was deployed to the Philippines. For the first time ever, a mass flight of heavy bombers (B-17s) flew the 2,400 miles from the west coast of the United States to Hawaii. Prior to December 8, 1941, 16 of these bombers were located at Del Monte Air Field on Mindanao. After the devastating loss of aircraft in the December 8, 1941 bombing of Clark Field, men from Clark Field were ordered to Del Monte, and when those planes were eventually ordered to Australia, many of these men were left behind and would become prisoners of war in May 1942, while those left on Luzon would be absorbed into other units and would make the withdrawal into the Bataan Peninsula.


Father Lafleur was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions in comforting the dying and wounded on the first day of the war, December 8, 1941, in the Philippines, just hours after the attack at Pearl Habor. When the Hell Ship Shinyo Maru was sunk on September 7, 1944, Father Lafleur was last seen at the bottom of a ladder in the hold of the ship, assisting his fellow prisoners of war up the ladder. Only 83 of the 750 prisoners made it to shore.


A Memorial Mass at St. Landry Catholic Church in Opelousas, Louisiana will be held on September 7, 2009 to celebrate the life and works of Father Lafleur.

Bob Durham 7/22/2009 10:40 AM MST

My name is Bob Durham and as a teenager I lived on Clark Air Base. In those days (late 60’s) it was still possible to explore the jungles around the base and come across old gun concrete emplacements some that still bore signs scratched in the wet cement that they were erected by the 200th CA.


And in my collection of memorabilia I still have a stripper clip from a 1903 Springfield and a 30/06 cartridge case no doubt fired at Japanese aircraft.


I've also spent considerable time on Bataan, and have been to Cabanatuan and I want all the veterans to know that at least one member of my generation has not forgotten their sacrifices.


Thank you,


Bob Durham

Tallahassee, FL

William B. Brunt 7/20/2009 7:29 PM MST

I am trying to find out more information concerning my father, Loyal B. Brunt, who was part of [F Battery, 200th Coast Artillery]. I believe he was captured during the fall of Bataan. I have a PMPC note from Camp 4 and that is all I know. Dad never discussed his war or capture. If anyone could supply information about the camp he was in, and the person, Bob Byard, whom I am named after and who died in a prison camp, I would greatly appreciate any information.


Thank you,

William B. Brunt


BCMFofNM Note: Tried to respond via E-mail to Mr. Brunt, but mail was returned as undeliverable.


PFC Loyal Brunt was a prisoner at Fukuoka Camp #3 at Yawata, later Kokura, Japan. PFC Robert Alvin Byard, also in F Battery, died in July 1942 at Cabanatuan prison camp — possibly by execution. Both men were from Carlsbad, New Mexico, and both men were National Guardsmen, federalized with the Regiment on January 6, 1941.

valkyire@cox.net 6/28/2009 8:48 PM MST

I am trying to find additional information about my Great Uncle — Garrett Arledge - who was part of the 515th CA, killed at Bataan on December 26, 1941. Military records show “a finding of Death” of which I assume means some form of corroboration was found to support that he did not survive. The story related to me from my Grandmother was that a member of her Brother Garrett's company came to visit after the war and informed the family that he was killed in an air raid while loading a supply truck. Is there any way to find information that supports the story or to find out exactly how a “finding of death” is determined? Garrett was stationed at Fort Bliss prior to being shipped out to Bataan. The last letter home was postmarked August 28, 1941. There is a family photo of Garrett on a Coast Artillery gun, but the date is unknown. My Great Grandmother passed away always believing the her son was still alive and would be coming home. I suppose I am mostly hopeful that there is still someone out there that knew my Great Uncle and knows what happened the day he died.


BCMFofNM Note: Garrett Arledge was attached to G Battery 200th Coast Artillery, and after December 8, 1941, was reassigned to Half-tracks with one of the Tank units.

LouAnn Rodriguez 5/21/2009 11:35 AM MST

My uncle José E.T. Mascareñas died in the Palawan Masacre. Thank you for your sacrifices to our Country and the Soldiers currently serving in the US Military.

Robert Salas 5/18/2009 10:47 AM MST

I'm Robert Salas, and my uncle, Pvt. Frank Arriola, died on the Arisan Maru. I am still hoping someone may have known him in the Bataan Death March.


Thanks, Robert Salas


BCMFofNM Note: PFC Robert Salas was attached to Hq Co., 31st Infantry Regiment

Lou Georgieff 4/22/2009 2:01 PM MST

My uncle, Alfonso B Sanchez, 515th Coast Artillery Regiment, from Raton, NM, died or was killed as a POW at Cabanatuan on 10/20/1942. The American Battle Monuments Commission website lists him as Missing in Action or Buried at Sea. I was born and raised in Raton, have relatives there including my father, who served in WW II in Saipan. With assistance from then US Representative Udall, I was able to obtain the awards and decorations he deserved and get them posted on the ABMC site. Another uncle, died in Bastogne and is buried at Luxembourg American Cemetery. My maternal grandfather was asked if he wanted the body brought back to the US, but he said, “not until they find my other son.” I was fortunate to visit Luxembourg while stationed in England. I took pictures of his grave for my grandmother and parents. Unfortunately, my grandfather had already passed away so he never knew. I couldn't go to the Philippines to see the Bataan memorial there. I'm pleased with your Bataan Memorial knowing how much respect is being paid to these brave military men. Thank you!


CMSgt Lou Georgieff

USAF, Retired

San Antonio, TX

Debra Marquez 4/2/2009, 11:36 AM MST

My great-uncle Jesse Woolworth died at Camp O'Donnell. Thanks to this website, I found out more information than my late father Lavern Woolworth provided me. I was also wondering why American POWs weren't returned to the US upon their death… Another question, I remember my grandfather Charles Woolworth received Jesse's Purple Heart and another medal. Jesse never married nor had children, but he does have several great-nieces and great-great nephews now and I was wondering if they replaced these items. They were lost in a house fire back in the 1970s. If anyone can answer my questions, I would appreciate it.


Thank you,

Debra Woolworth Marquez

SFC Ivan L. Baros, Sr. (ret.) 11/17/2008, 8:50 AM MST

I am (Retired) SFC Ivan L. Baros Sr., descendant of Juan Ramos (515th Coastal Artillery)! He was my grandfather's brother and am seeking any information anyone might have! Any photos, letters or even references to him in any correspondence! He was from Tularosa, NM and eventually died there after his very long battle with many illnesses on his return to NM! He never talked about the trauma he endured and could only be heard crying for his fallen comrades from time to time! He was never the same! Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank You in advance! I can be reached at ibaros@starband.net!


(Retired) SFC Ivan L. Baros, Sr.

Mark W. Ireton 6/8/2008, 4:11 PM MST

Hi, I recently received a package containing a few possessions and a notebook that belonged to Carl V. Ireton, who was my great-uncle. The notebook contains the names of several other POWs that were held at Mukden. I will be publishing the names on my website at www.iretonfamily.com/carl.htm. Among the possessions is a tag with the number “958”, which was Carl’s POW number. There are also a few buttons from Australian and/or British uniforms, can openers, a sewing kit, and two Japanese stamps. I believe these meager items are all that Carl had when he was evacuated. Amazingly, a good man named Ray Snow found these items in an antique shop in Oklahoma, about 40 years after Carl passed away, and returned them to the Ireton family.


I would like to hear from anyone that knew Carl.


Best regards,

Mark W. Ireton

Portland, Oregon

Sherry Myers

2/4/2008, 2:25 PM MST

My Uncle, George W. Howard was one of the ‘Battling Bastards of Bataan’, in the Death March and imprisoned (lastly) at Ashio, Japan after passing thru O'Donnell, Clark Field, Cabanatuan, Bilibid, and Osaka Zoren. I have recently come into possession of some of his letters, etc. from that time and am trying to put together a memorial from them. I realize there are few of you left, but does anyone remember him? He was a ranch bred boy from Lindrith, NM. Does anyone know where Beneau Foster, Ray Owen, Red Manace, Charley Ross or Jimmy Lopez wound up. My Uncle speaks of them in his letters. I know Beneau Foster and Ray Owen were on the March with my Uncle and returned home. I wish for the same for the others as my uncle spoke so frequently and fondly of them.


This is a wonderful website and has allowed many to pay tribute to a group of men who gave all to their country.

Wendy Franchell

3/26/2007, 9:10 PM MST

I am the band master of the 44th Army Band of the New Mexico National Guard. We were the 200th Coast Artillery band during WWII. Anyone that has information regarding members of that band is encouraged to contact me at my e-mail address or my office phone number listed below.


Office: 505-271-7142


2/24/2007, 8:45 AM MST

I have a copy of “BATAAN OUR LAST DITCH”, by John W. Whitman. This is an exceptionally excellent description of the individuals and events of that time in our history. I would be happy to pass this book on to any organization or individual who might be interested.

Robert Rodriguez

12/20/2006, 6:53 AM MST

I just got back from Manila where I had the privilege and honor of visiting the American Cemetery. I was deeply moved and speechless just seeing how beautifully well kept it was and all the valiant heroes that are buried there. Being that I’m a Vietnam combat veteran it was especially hard to remain composed. While viewing all the crosses I came across the name “Berto Chavez 200 CA REGIMENT NEW MEXICO”. I was born in Deming so it his name really caught my eye. It left me wondering if any family member was ever able to see his final resting place. I took a picture of his cross and I video taped the cemetery. If there is a family member that would like a copy of it I would be honored to send it to them. You can contact me by email or regular mail.


Robert Rodriguez

14110 Ivanpah Rd

Apple Valley, CA 92307


This post has been replied to. Read response.

William “Bill” Harrison

3/31/2006 10:13 PM MST

I am looking for information regarding my uncle Arthur James “Jimmy” Harrison, MSgt, 38012689, CAC, 200th 1 Bn Hq. He was a survivor of the Death March and was rescued from Cabanatuan. I have gotten some information from his brother, my father Lawrence Harrison, now 94, but as with many survivors he understandably didn’t speak much of his experience. Though born and raised in Fresno, California, I know that after his return he took up residence in Texas and died when I was a youth, perhaps around 1960, and was buried at a (veterans?) cemetery in or near Forth Worth. My father, who was quite close to Jimmy before the war, still cries when I ask him questions about his brother and says that although he survived “he was never the same, estranged and reclusive”. My father said that he visited his grave once and was quite upset about its condition and its lack of acknowledgment of what his brother had given to his country. I know he wrote a letter to the Department of Veterans Affairs asking them to remedy the situation and saying that his brother had “died for his country” long before they put in the ground.


I have read “Ghost Soldiers” and numerous Internet postings from survivors and others, but other than seeing his name on the Rescue Roster, I have never seen his name mentioned by anyone. I know that there are very few survivors still living, but I’m wondering if any of them might have some fond recollection of him both for my own sake and to share with my father. Toward this end, I would be interested in any information you might have or resources or references you might be able to recommend.


I know that Uncle Jim somehow survived the unimaginable. The things he witnessed and the things he might have had to do to survive perhaps are better left unknown, but I know that in his heart he was a very good man from a loving family who fate chose to have to endure his time in hell. Your help in coming to terms with this family tragedy is appreciated.




William “Bill” Harrison

316 N. Santa Rosa Avenue

Modesto, CA 95354

(209) 527-1405

Gene M. Smith

2/24/2006 7:07 PM MST

I am Gene Smith. I live in West Virgina with my beautiful Fil-Am wife, Nita. Nita has written two books on the Fil-Am experience in American. I would be glad to send info to anyone who e-mails me.

Very respectfully,

Gene M. Smith

Michael D. Malnati

8/14/2005 10:50 AM MST

Like most of us who have a relative who was on the “Death March” I am pleased to find a web site like this one. My father, Lloyd G Malnati, was in the 200th Btry. A, and I heard many stories about his experience while I was growing up. I wish now that I had written down the names of the men he had talked about, so that a more accurate account of what happened inside the POW camps, Hell Ships, and slave labor camps in Japan could be shared. Thank you for putting together this site.

Marcia Pineda

6/8/2005 07:45 PM MST

I recently found out that my great-grandfather was a POW in the Japanese camps. He served in the 200th and then in the 515th (I believe). His name was Trinidad Otero. He left behind a beautiful wife and two children (including my grandmother) when he was killed in December of 1944. His son (also Trinidad Otero) and grandson later served in Vietnam and they are both wonderful uncles to their nieces and nephews. I suppose I just wanted to acknowledge my great-grandfather Otero and what he and many, many others went through to ensure our freedom remained.


BCMFofNM Note: Pvt Trinidad Fidel Otero, G Btry. 200th CA(AA) and G Btry. 515th CA(AA), died in the Massacre at Palawan on December 14, 1944. He was 28 years old.


4/30/2005 12:19:07 AM MST

My Uncle, Stanley Ozimkiewicz, was a member of the 515th Coast Artillery. How he got there when he grew up in Detroit, Michigan is a mystery to me. The last of his siblings are now deceased and there is no one of whom to ask questions. I grew up knowing only that he was “a tall blond Polack who survived Bataan only to die when his prisoner ship was sunk.” I have since, thanks to the Internet, learned that he was on the ill fated Arisan Maru when she sank. After reading “Ghost Soldiers” and watching “Sleep My Sons” I found your site. Thank you for this wonderful memorial in memory of all those who sacrificed so much. I pray my son in the Naval Academy will not have to suffer as much but will live up to his memory. If anyone has any recollection of my uncle, I would be happy to hear from them.

James Hightower

2/21/2005 01:38:05 AM MST

My uncle, Lewis Lawton “Jack” Lansford was in the 200th Coast Artillery, Headquarters Battery. He was from Waco, Texas. Cecil Uzzel, Jake Light and a Davis were all from the same poor neighborhood (East Waco). All were picked up by the 200th. From the information that I grew up with, he had escaped to Corregidor and was captured there.


My mother still cries to this day about her big brother. Our young years were formed around this pain, she couldn’t even speak about it but for a few sentences. Today it is no different. She also started a relief organization here in Waco.


When I was 12, I met Cecil Uzzel. I will never forget the tears that never stopped falling and the anguish I felt coming from his heart. He told me Jack had saved his life when he was hurt in a coal mine and carried his coal so he could eat. He had never spoke to any of my Mom’s family til then, 1970. I understand why. I cannot bring myself to talk to him again, to ask him questions, for I remember my first knowledge of anguish. I have kept up with him, and I will always Love and Remember him.


If anyone knew my Uncle, or has any information, Please share it with me. He was at Niigata 5-B, and died January 14, 1944, supposedly of pneumonia. Another 200th man died the same night.


2/13/2005 01:17:55 AM MST

I would only like to thank both my father and my uncle for their duty to this country during WWII. My father was in the Army in the ETO operations, very close to Germany, very close. My uncle was in the Pacific theatre during the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He told me on one of his many visits, that he had to swim under water in order to escape the burning fuel, dead sailors, and the ever seemingly endless bombs in order to escape. Both are gone now, but there isn’t a day that doesn't go by that I don’t thank both of them for their valiant fight for freedom that we so enjoy today. God Bless you Daddy & Uncle Al, God Bless. Your fight is now over, enjoy the peace and freedom that God Almighty has bestowed upon you. I miss both of you very much and wait until the time that I can thank you in “person”. Your loving daughter and niece.

Clyde Ely

11/6/2004 03:38:41 PM MST

My name is Clyde Ely and I’m looking for information about my Uncle, Captain Clyde E. Ely who shipped out with G Battery, Silver City and died in 1945.


BCMFofNM Note: CAPT Clyde Earl ‘Jack’ Ely, Jr., from Silver City, Grant County, New Mexico, was the son of Brigadier General Clyde Earl Ely, who immediately preceded Colonel Charles G. Sage as commanding officer of the 200th Coast Artillery (or CO of the 111th Cavalry before reorganization). Captain Ely was transported on board the Hell Ship Oryoku Maru. After the Oryoku was sunk on December 15, 1944, Captain Ely was transferred to the Enoura Maru. When the Enoura was bombed and sunk on January 9, 1945, Captain Ely was injured. He was then transferred to the Brazil Maru which finally made port in Moji, Japan on January 29, 1945. Captain Ely was sent to Fukuoka 3-B Prisoner of War Camp at Yahata (or Yawata), on the Island of Kyushu, where he succumbed to disease on February 20, 1945. In 1949, the remains of Captain Ely were repatriated and interned at Fort Bliss National Cemetery in El Paso, Texas.

Jose Paolo G. Ariola

10/30/2004 12:32:52 MST

Gentlemen: I am a Filipino born two decades after World War II who, among with other millions of Filipinos today, owe the Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor an immeasurable debt of gratitude for the freedom we now enjoy. The reason I wrote the Bataan and Corregidor Memorial Foundation of New Mexico is because I want to inform your goodselves that the Japanese have stealthily, like what they did at Pearl Harbor, erected a memorial to the Kamikaze in its birthplace at Mabalacat, Pampanga, Philippines just recently with no less than a full-size statue of a Kamikaze pilot in full battle regalia. As a freedom-loving and patriotic Filipino, I am gravely disturbed by this development. To me this is a supreme insult to the Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor, many of whom died in that infamous Death March. The Kamikaze was a desperate instrument of death unleashed by the Japanese against the American liberation forces in the Pacific. What disturbs me is that those responsible for this alleged “peace memorial” would like to rewrite history by distorting the role of the Kamikaze in World War II. The atrocities committed by the Japanese in the last war should never be forgotten. I hope that from your end, your group can perhaps mobilize a concerted effort among the “Battling Bastards of Bataan” in America so that this “Memorial of Shame” will be stricken down. To you I am forever grateful. Very truly, ATTY. JOSE PAOLO G. ARIOLA, Bacolod City, Neg. Occ., Philippines

Taipei Times: Philippines marks the birth of the ‘kamikaze’

Hollis O. Blakesley

10/18/2004 10:47:58 MST

In March, 2002, I visited Corregidor Island and from there rented a small boat to reach Bataan. I hiked the route of the Bataan Death March from Mariveles to San Fernando. The railroad used to transport prisoners from San Fernando to Capas no longer exists. I visited the site of the infamous Camp O’Donnell, which is now the location of the impressive Capas National Shrine. America should never forget what happened on the Death March or the suffering experienced in Japanese prison camps. Respectfully, Hollis O. Blakesley

Mike Villarreal

4/25/2004 3:47:19 MST

Thank you for all the dedicated hard work you have done in preserving this important history and helping keep the memory alive of these brave patriots and heroes. I continue to find your web page and highlights very interesting and informative. My father’s half-brother was SSGT Bensis Torres, Battery G, 200th/515th CA. Mike Villarreal, Chesapeake, Virginia

Eileen Rogers Mullins

11/2/2003 3:19:23 MST

Hello, My name is Eileen Rogers Mullins. My father, Joel Lee Rogers, from Bayard, New Mexico was a member of the New Mexico National Guard and was part of the 200th when the bombing of Pearl Harbor took place. The 200th was broken into the 200th and 515th and he went to the Philippines with the 515th. He was in the Bataan Death March and was in several of the prison camps and finally shipped to Japan where he was under forced labor in the carbide plants until the war ended. My father was one of the blessed ones who survived and came back after the war. I am very proud of my father and the many wonderful men and women who proudly served their country...some surviving and some giving their lives for what they truly believed in. I want to thank you for putting this website together to honor those wonderful men and women. My only regret is that we didn’t do these things while more of them were alive to be honored. Thank You Again.

Billy Tubbleville


I would like to thank you for this memorial web site and would like this to be posted. I had two Uncles who where, I think on the “Death March”, and I am trying to get any information I can concerning them. I am pretty sure they died on a prison ship to Japan. Their names were both Tubbleville (brothers), one was H. M. Tubbleville and the other was O. W. (Oscar Wilburn) Tubbleville. I got some info from Dr. Paul Ashton’s books but would really like to know more. They where both in the coast artillery. THANX.


BCMFofNM Note: H. M. and Oscar W. Tubbleville were attached to the 59th Coast Artillery. They lost their lives when the Hell Ship Arisan Maru was sunk on 24 October 1944.



I am a Masters in History student at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, NM currently researching my thesis on 1st Lt. Albert Fall Chase, 81st Division, 73rd Regiment, 1st Battalion. Lt. Chase was a prisoner of war in Camp No. Davao (Dapecol) on Mindanao from July 1942 to August 20, 1944 when he was transported out. During his time at Davao he worked in the rice paddies and was also placed on the Lasang airfield detail. Lt. Chase did not survive the sinking of the Shinyo Maru. I would appreciate anyone who either may have known Lt. Chase and/or would be able to give me more details of Davao or Shinyo Maru contacting me. Thank you. Nancy E. Shockley (P.O. Box 3077, Las Cruces, NM 88003. Phone is 505-647-3150 until August 1).

Eric Piano


Hello, my name is Eric Piano. My great uncle Fredrick Wallace died in Camp O’Donnell. He was part of the 200th Coast Artillery New Mexico National Guard. I was wondering if anyone knew him or remembers him or has any information.

Bill Swartz


Hello, My father, Dr Carl Swartz, was an MD in the field hospital at Guimba where the POWs from Cabanatuan were taken. Dad passed away in February, 2002. He believed that the POWs made sacrifices for our country that can never be repaid. I agree with him completely. Please accept my thanks for all you did and all you put up with. If anyone remembers a stocky, red-haired doctor at Guimba, I would be honored to hear from you. Bill Swartz, Albuquerque, NM (505) 797-7661.

Michael R. Duran


Michael R. Duran, son of David J. Duran; named after brother, Michael who died on Death March.

Nick Werle


Benis Torres listed as died 1949, did any survivors remember him?

Sonja Lee West Burle


Thanks so much for the information on my uncle, Robert Lee West, 200th Coast Artillery, Battery C. Until now, we never knew where he died or exactly when. Thanks again, Sonja Burleson.

LCDR R. Bruce Smith


Just a quick note. I was recalled to active duty in response to the 9/11 attacks. As I left for duty, I spoke with my Uncle Tim Smith. He was with Battery B of the 200th CA, and later the 515th CA. He was among those captured at Cabcaben. He was marshaled into the first groups of the Death March, moving directly towards San Fernando, instead of Mariveles. He said that this saved his life because they didn’t have to retrace their steps back towards Cabcaben. My Uncle George, also of Battery B, escaped by boat to Corregidor. He passed away in the spring of 2001.

Kurt Jordan


I have a letter that mentions a few names from the Mindanao force in the Philippines. If you know any of these men, they are mentioned... For you searchers, Capt Roy Gray, Roy B. Gray, Boder D. Jordan, Sport Jordan, Tex Howell, J. E. McNair, Boland, Pappy Knowles, J. H. Knowles. They were in Cebu, Mindanao, Cagayan, Casisang, Malaybalay, Bilibid, Cabanatuan, Olangopo, Oryoku Maru, Enoura Maru.

Roger Wayne Campbell


With sadness I let you know that my Father Roger Dewey Campbell Passed away July 9, 2002 in Escondido, California at the age of 83. Born December 10, 1917 Albuquerque, New Mexico. Survivor of the Bataan Death March, and three and a half years as a Japanese prisoner of war. While on the death march he stood between a Japanese soldier and two fellow prisoners who were about to be ran through with a bayonet. My Father was given two Bronze Stars one with Oak Leaf Cluster for saving the lives of these two soldiers. Survived By Mary E. Campbell (Wife), Roger W. Campbell (Son), Gerald R. Campbell (Adopted Son), Judith A. Foster (Adopted Daughter). I love you Dad and I will always think of you. Your Son, Roger Wayne Campbell.

Sharon Bailey


It is my privilege to say that John T. ‘Johnny’ Boyles of Portales, NM, survivor of the Bataan Death March and POW camps, is a family friend. Johnny recently married his teenage sweetheart, Marie, and they are doing great! Johnny has agreed to tell me his story for a project about Bataan that I am putting together for my high school students. I’d love to hear from any other heroes of Bataan or Corregidor. It is so important that the stories of the heroes are passed down to the kids of today! God bless Johnny and ALL the men and “angels” of Bataan! You’re my heroes!

Gary McMaster


I first became aware of the death march by reading William Dyess’s article of the death march, while going through Donner’s Pass going to my dad’s new duty station. Though I have since been in Japan on my way to Vietnam. I feel no sympathy for the people who committed these atrocities and then whine about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They started it and we did what we had to do to finish it. I walked the ruins on Grande Island in the mouth of Subic Bay. I went to those areas safe enough to visit on Bataan. I plan on going back to the Philippines to see what is left of Ft. Mills on Corregidor and Ft. Drum and Ft. Frank in the mouth of the Manila Bay. Gary A. McMaster.

Neal Springer


My father was Boyce ‘Doc’ Springer. He was in the 200th Coast Artillery, survived the Death March, and was a prisoner of the Japanese for about 3-1/2 years. After returning from the war he lived in the Texas panhandle near Amarillo, in Oklahoma, and retired to north Mississippi where he was born. He died on April 30, 1996 in Tupelo, MS. I have met both Otis Yates and Banoe Foster who were in the prison camps with him. I went with him in the early 1960’s to visit the mother of Reece Clay in Tucumcari, NM. I would like to hear from anyone else who knew my father; I think all of you are heroes of the first order. This country owes all of you more than can ever be repaid. Neal Springer, 8548 Bell Forrest Dr., Olive Branch, MS 38654, (662) 895-6261, cnpspringer@centruytel.net or nspringer@northwestms.edu.

Chris McClain


We have been told that our uncle, Warren Sullivan, was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. If anyone has information as to his participation or whereabouts, we would appreciate that you contact us. Thank you.

Joey Torres


My grandfather Joe Torres was in the 200th and I am very proud of all of the men that served and gave their lives for us. I will always remember what happened to these men and give my full support in any way possible. I think Japan should pay for what they have done and give to these Vets what they deserve.

Russell E. Harris


I am searching for information about my uncle, Everett Werner. He was a member of an Air Force Unit from Albuquerque, New Mexico that was transferred to the Philippines just after December 7, 1941. We learned that he was subsequently killed by the Japanese either in Bataan, or in Mindanao. I would like to know more about him; where he died, when he died, and how he died. I also would like to know where he is buried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Autry


Anyone remember Oscar Otero and what unit he was in?

Gary Van Buskirk


Each year motorcyclists from every part of the County gather in Washington, DC on Memorial Day Weekend to participate in Rolling Thunder. The sole purpose is to commemorate the many sacrifices of our Veterans and to memorialize the brave and honored POWs/MIAs from all American wars. This year over 300,000 motorcyclists participated. The largest single motorcycle event in the nation. I rode in honor of my father, Francis Hall Van Buskirk, Bataan Death March Survivor. Click here to see a pictorial tribute of this event. I am also proud to say I saw a couple there, who rode from Farmington, NM (4-5 days one way), and in the parade, flying from the back of their bike, was a large flag, the Zia symbol of the Great State of New Mexico.

Thomas St. Peters


I am searching for information about my uncle, Thomas V. (Louie) Long. He was in the 200th Coastal Artillery and was in the Bataan Death March. He died in a prison camp in June 1942. I am trying to put together a biography together on him for the younger generation of our family so he will not be forgotten since he never married or had children of his own. If anyone has any information, please contact me.

Charles M. Mitchell


My first name is in honor of Sgt. Charles Euphra Mitchell, 200th CA, Battery F. His first sergeant was MSgt. John Nhulik (spelling?) He made the Bataan Death March and died in June at Cabanatuan #2 of malaria of the brain. That’s all I have ever been able to find out about his days on the March and after his imprisonment. On this Memorial Day Weekend, I say God bless all of you that survived. You all made sacrifices the rest of us will never comprehend. God Bless America. Charles M. Mitchell.

Scott Walker


I would like to hear from anyone who knew or has any information on Sgt. Barnes Olmstead of Sierra County, Monticello Township, New Mexico. Sgt. Olmstead (#38011833) was attached to Battery C of the 515 Coast Artillery (The New Mexico Brigade) in the Philippine Islands in September 1941. He surrendered on Corregidor on May 6, 1942 and was taken to Bilibid Prison in Manila. He was then transferred to Cabanatuan Camp No.1. He died of Cerebral Malaria in Cabanatuan. You may email me or call me at 254-752-3000. Thanks, Scott Walker.

S. Davidson


My mother in law’s favorite cousin, James Spilman, aka Jimmy, died on the Bataan Death March. She always spoke of him fondly. She was angry until the day she died about the way the men were treated. She missed him always. I guess he was more like the brother she never had. Among her things, after she passed away, we found a beautiful photo that Jimmy must have sent her from San Diego before he shipped out. We are currently looking for his family, maybe a nephew, niece or someone who would want this lost man’s picture, to whom it would mean something special. He lived in the Yuba City, Marysville, CA area before the war. I believe he had family in the Santa Rosa area also. I will keep trying. He must have been a special person for someone to have kept his memory so alive all of these years.

Tina Jones


I believe this is a very informative web site. Everyone should remember the ones who died in the Bataan Death March and the ones who still live who experienced it. The reason why I was even looking up anything about the Bataan Death March was because I had to do a research paper for my eighth grade American History class. So, I thank my teacher, Mr. Fisher, in letting me write about the Bataan Death March. I am glad I had the chance to experience a small part of what 70,000 or so Americans and Filipino soldiers went through. I thank you.

Thomas Hatch


My grandfather Thomas W. Ratcliffe marched at Bataan and was in several Camps. If you knew him please contact me.

Sonja West Burleson


I am searching for information on my uncle, Robert Lee West. He was in the 200th Coast Artillery and died in January or July of 1943. The only information that I have is that he was captured when Bataan fell and died in a Jap prison camp. Lee was from Somervell County, Texas. Sonja Lee West Burleson, 9913 Dickens Drive, Benbrook, Texas 76126.

Steve B.


I am trying to answer a question for a former POW that was near a 155mm battery in the Philippines. He was awakened to hear the commands that went with the firing of the guns. It has bugged him for the exact commands over the years. He thinks it kind of was like this, “ready, air, fire” or something like it. Can anyone help us out? Thanks, Steve.



Good stuff, enjoyable.

Malcolm Decker


I am writing a book about my father and his time in the jungle after the fall of Bataan. He escaped with Clinton (Red) Wolfe, who was the cook for H Battery of the 200th. Red had a rather checkered past. I would like any information anyone might have about Red before the war and before the surrender of Bataan. Thank you.

Glenn L. Kelley



Marvin Burrows


My uncle, Dave Savoy, died on the Bataan Death March. He was living on a farm with his family on the Pecos River between Artesia and Carlsbad, NM, when he was drafted into the service. The family never received any word of what happened to him. Does anyone remember this serviceman? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, it seems to me that the New Mexico victims of the Death March should be listed on some site on the Internet. It seems that they are not listed on this site (though I think they should be). Does anybody know of such a web site? Thanks, Marvin Burrows, Hobbs, NM.

Harold Hart


Just wanted you to know that I was there with you. I was in the Army Air Corps and then in the Air Corps Provisional Infantry.

Ray Flores


I happened to stumble upon your web site this afternoon. I was an 8 year old, born at Hagerman, NM when the Bataan Death March happened, but have read many stories about it, including the Hell Ships. I am a US Navy Veteran and Vietnam veteran. Maybe your next event I could try to attend or just do it. Keep up the good work. Respectfully, Ray Flores - USN Retired.

Henry Gill


I am very glad to see this website, and to hear about the new Bataan/Corregidor memorial being dedicated in Albuquerque. My cousin, Captain Fred Jordan (Portales, NM) was with the 200th Coastal Artillery and was one of the “Battling Bastards of Bataan.” He survived the battle, the Death March and the imprisonment, but he didn’t survive the “Hell Ships.” Fred was on the “Tennko Maru” when it was torpedoed on the way to Japan in Spring 1944. He was last seen helping his comrades out of the hold of the sinking freighter... I don’t think that he would have wanted it any other way. Years ago, I stood on a battlefield and surveyed what had just happened with tears in my eyes. My radioman said, “We should not weep for our dead, but rather we should celebrate that such men lived among us, and were our friends.” So, rather than weep, I celebrate the lives, the spirit and the devotion to duty of the Battling Bastards of Bataan.

Steve R. Spensley


I just returned from the dedication of the new Bataan Park here in Albuquerque and I just felt compelled to write a short note. I cannot express in words how much pride and honor I feel for these great veterans who suffered and sacrificed so much for the freedom of others. Sixty years is too long for their story to wait but I am very happy that it is now being told and they are given the glory and respect that they so very much deserve. My uncle (Homer V. Spensley) died in Bataan and my grandfather (Dr. V. H. Spensley) was active in the formation of the Bataan Relief Organization, yet my siblings and myself never knew much about all of this. It seemed that the pain left in my family was such that they could not talk about the horrible things that had taken place at Bataan. My hope is that this story will now be told in its entirety before these great men are lost to us. Let us all do what we can to document this page in history and acknowledge these great people and their story. Steve.

Steve R. Spensley


I am the grandson of Dr. V.H. Spensley and live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. There are several of us (grandchildren) here in Albuquerque and we would be interested in any info. I have been in touch with William Overmier here in Albuquerque. I also have some documents, including a letter from Douglas MacArthur that we would be willing to share. We look forward to the dedication of the new Bataan Park here in Albuquerque.

Dave Spensley


I found this site and was surprised to see a photo of my Grandfather, Dr. V. H. Spensley dedicating “The Spirit of Bataan” in 1943. My uncle Homer died in Cabanatuan. Thank you for this informative site, Dave Spensley.

Freda Flores Hainer


Information of one our greatest, Amado Romero. Amado, passed last night 3-11-02. Amado was from Albuquerque NM, one of the 200th. Our Hero suffered from heart failure.

Freda Flores Hainer


In memory of my father’s friend, Lorenzo Ybarra Banegas... We pray that you are still singing your corrido, so that dad can some-how hear you and give him peace. He so dearly misses you. The Las Cruces Chapter of Ex-Pows.

Freda Flores Hainer


Hi, My father Ruben Flores was a member of the 200th Coast Artillery Regiment that was sent to the Philippine Islands early in WWII to furnish anti-aircraft support to Clark Field and Fort Stotensberg. The Regiment later divided to form the 515th Coast Artillery Regiment. Both of these Regiments were lost to the enemy action on Bataan when the Japanese overran the Philippines in 1942. The 200th consisted of 1,800 men when deployed. After three and one-half years of captivity, less than 900 men were returned to the United States. I am proud to share any information that I can. My father is still alive and will be attending the April 13, 2002 memorial dedication in Las Cruces, New Mexico, “If that is God’s Will.” He has been battling his own war for one year now. To all the Battling Bastards of Bataan, and the families of all those who have left us to be our “Angels” Let Us not forget how hard they fought on this earth, let us fight for their memories.

Tammy Clements


Thank you so much for the website. My great uncle, David H. Franklin was on the Death March but never made it back. He was from Hagerman, New Mexico. The story that was told to my family was, he was sick, could not go on anymore and was killed. If there is anyone out there that knows anything about David and his time on the Death March, I would greatly appreciate any information. Thank you.

George Weaver


Web Page: Mike Weaver Bataan Death March Survivor

I am the son of ‘Mike’ Weaver (Lonnie Milford Weaver) who was captured April 8th, 1942 while gathering intelligence on enemy positions while serving for the 200th H.Q. squadron in the Bataan brigade that moved back to try to hold out until reinforcements would come. Isn’t it interesting how survivors buried their memories deep upon returning home? I hear the same stories here on this board that I have experienced with my dad who passed on February1, 1998. Memories so terrible and vivid and yet not included in our school history lessons. So many Americans don’t have a clue. I feel compelled to make sure his story is told and not forgotten or written off. Dad buried those memories until he was interviewed by a college student for a thesis the 1980’s. That was when I learned some shocking truths about Bataan, the Japanese and Dad’s narrow escapes. He was once lined up and would have been shot with 9 others when it was thought a man escaped, but the man was found dead in latrine.

Brian E. Tafoya


My dad, Herman O. Tafoya, Sr., was a Bataan Death March survivor. He died a few years ago. A day doesn’t pass that I don’t think about him and all the Heroes of Bataan. So many stories. So many memories. I salute all of you and what you did for all of us. May we never forget.

Robyn Lovell


This is wonderful! I was sitting here showing Lieutenant Colonel Marvin ‘Luke’ Hurley Lucas’ great-grandchildren all of the medals he got over his 30 years of service in the Military. I was trying to convey what a brave man their great-grandfather was and I came across your site. We read the brief history and it helped to explain what he went through and how brave he was. I was told when I was very young that for only one day we could ask Granddaddy Luke any question we wanted to about the war and then he didn’t want to talk about it again. I don’t recall all that was said, this is very complete as to what he went through. I am very proud of my Granddaddy Luke and I want to learn so much more. I appreciate your efforts in keeping their memory alive. God bless you!

Mike Chavez


My dad, Bernardino Chavez was a member of the 115th infantry division of the 29th Infantry who landed at Normandy. He lost his brother, Laudente Chavez in the Bataan Death March, and my Mom’s brother, Alfonso Sandoval, at Iwo Jima. My Dad still lives in Cimarron, New Mexico. A lot of the small towns in New Mexico lost good men in this war, and neither they nor the men who returned have ever been given the honor and respect they deserve for the sacrifices they made. I hope to take my dad to the WWII Memorial in Washington, DC when it is completed and if he is still living. Please consider donating to this memorial so it can be built before we lose more veterans of the generation that “saved the world.”