In 1896, a square, red-brick tower with a keper's dwelling was established
close to the beach at Sea Girt. This point was chosen both to mark the local
inlet and to light up an area between Navesink and Barnegat lights.
Although Navesink and Barnegat were major seacoast lights, the distance
between them left mariners out of view of both at certain distances from
shore. With its fouth-order lens, Sea Girt Lighthouse maintained the
mariner's continuity of signals.
In 1921, Ambrose Lightship and Fire Island Lighthouse in New York were
the first lightstations in the world to have a radio beacon installed.
These three positions marked approaches from the north, the south,
and the trans-Atlantic. During World War II, Sea Girt's light was darkened,
but the Coast Guard used the lighthouse as a headquarters for patrolling
the beach against invasion and as a lookout for U-boats. The light was
decommissioned in 1945.
In 1956, the Borough of Sea Girt purchased the lighthouse for eleven
thousand dollars. In 1981, the Sea Girt Lighthouse Citizens Committee
was established to restore and preserve the structure. The committee
leases the building from the town and raises funds for preservation.
The interior has been beautifully restored and furnished in keeping
with its historical period.
Location: Beach Boulevard and Ocean Avenue, Sea Girt
Visiting Status: Open to public one Sunday a month.
Information: (732)-974-0514 / Web Site
Light Operational: Yes
Date Deactivated: 1977-1983
Tower Height: 44 feet
Original Optic: Fourth Order Fresnel
Present Optic: Removed