Site hosted by Build your free website today!
Click On A Link

Finn's Point Rear Range Lighthouse - 1877

Finn's Point Rear Range Lighthouse Built at the same time as the Liston rear range light at Port Penn, Delaware, this light also served the same purpose - to guide naval traffic around the islands and shoals of the Delaware River. The light was a 100-foot black pyramidal skeleton tower with a cylinder containing the stairway, and its light, when active, was 99 feet above the river. The light was automated in 1939, and in 1951 the Coast Guard discontinued it. The rear range light is now part of Supawna Meadows National Wildlife Refuge; the front range light has not survived. In 1981, local citizens formed the Save the Lighthouse Committee and successfully persuaded Congress to approiate money to refurbish the tower. Work was completed by the end of the year. The lighthouse is open the third Sunday of each month from April to October from 12 to 4 p.m. Volunteers are available to answer questions.

Location: Supawna Meadows National Refuge. Fort Mott and Lighthouse Roads, Pennsville, NJ.
Visiting Status: Open to public the third Sunday of each month between April and October
Information: (856) 935-1487
Light Operational: No
Date Deactivated: 1950
Automated: 1934
Tower Height: 115 feet
Original Optic: Fourth Order Fresnel
Present Optic: Removed

Picture Courtesy of Ocean Lights Photography.