One of the most frequently visited light stations during its active days
was the lighthouse at Absecon in Atlantic City. Although first
authorized in 1837, the Absecon light was not completed and lighted until
January 15, 1857. Built under the supervision of Lt. George G. Meade, the
brick tower, which was erected on a stone foundation resting on a wood
platform, rose 150 feet into the air. In keeping with role as a primary
seacoast light, the board installed a first order frensel lens on the tower.
Its purpose was to guide ships past Absecon and Brigantine Shoals. The wrecks
along that section of the coast had been "frequent and appalling", but in the
in the first ten months of the light's service not a single wreck was
reported. To increase its effectiveness as a daymark, the board in 1972 had
the tower painted with a wide red band about its middle. The board changed
this marking in 1898 to an orange tower with a black middle band.
In 1997 plans were made to have the lighthouse refirbushed and to open it to
the public. In 1998, fire was set to the nearly completed kepers cottage
and the fire was deemed as suspicious. The new completed keepers house
nows houses a museum and orientation center. The lighthouse itself is
restored and open to the public.
Location: The corners of Vermont and Pacific Avenues, Atlantic City
Visiting Status: Open to public.
Information: (609)-441-9272 / Web Site
Architects: Maj. Hartman Bache and Lt. George G. Meade
Light Operational: Yes
Date Deactivated: 1933-1997
Tower Height: 169 feet
Original Optic: First Order Fresnel
Present Optic: First Order Fresnel
Abseon's Keepers' Dwelling