Bergen Point Lighthouse
Part of the Lost Lighthouses of New Jersey Series
For almost a century the Bergen Point Light guided ships into Newark Bay through the Kill van Kull waterway. Exposed to destructive ice floes, it was protected by a heavy stone pier. Atop the pier stood a square, 41-foot stone tower and attached dwelling. Completed in 1859, this sturdy structure replaced an earlier wood-frame lighthouse that had rotted away in just seven years. The new stone building lasted for nearly a century. It's flashing white, fourth-order light was displayed for the last time in 1948, and the building was demolished two years later.