This page will attempt to showcase the histories of New York City AM Radio stations,
past and present.
Please feel free to e-mail me with any information you would like to contribute to this page and
you will be credited.
Some information provided by:
"The Airwaves Of New York:
Illustrated Histories Of 156 AM Stations In The Metropolitan Area, 1921-1996"
WWRV - 1330 AM, New York
This station dates back to October 20, 1927, when it signed on as WEVD on 1220 AM.
WEVD was named for Eugene Victor Debs, a leader of the Socialist Party, who died a year earlier.
WEVD built studios at 3 W. 16th St. in space contributed by the International Ladies Garment Workers Union.
Its offices were around the corner at 31 Union Square.
WEVD's inauguaral broadcast opened with James Phillips performing a musical setting of one of Deb's favorite poems, W.E. Henley's "Invictus" ("I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul").
One of the speakers, civil rights lawyer Arthur Garfield Hays, cautioned the station against becoming "rigid and doctrinaire."
Norman Thomas, who took over as leader of the Socialist Party after Debs passed away, called WEVD "a genuine educational force" and asked for "a multitude of small monthly gifts" to support it.
The station's board of directors included Roger Baldwin, ACLU founder; Abraham Cahan, publisher of the Jewish Daily Forward and Harriot Stanton Blatch, a feminist leader and ex-mother-in-law of Dr. Lee DeForest.
In 1928, the station moved to 1300 AM, and shared time with other stations, including WBBR.
However, that same year, WEVD found itself on a list of 162 small stations that were ordered to shut down by the FRC (Federal Radio Commission).
Congressman Emanuel Celler of Brooklyn defended WEVD, calling it "the only broadcasting station that can be truly termed, in the truest sense, a liberal station."
Socialists and free-speech advocates around the country organized on its behalf.
In July 1928, the FRC held hearings in Washington to consider challenges to the order.
The station won and the license was renewed, but it was repeatedly challenged by rivals.
Supposedly a noncommercial station, WEVD did carry some sponsored programs, but that income plus the moral support of labor and religious groups could not prevent technical deterioration.
In 1928, the transmitter was moved from Woodhaven to a residential plot at 100-17 Pilgrim St. in Forest Hills.
A federal radio inspector visited the site in 1931 and found the transmitter in a corner of a basement, a transmission line snaking through a cracked window and the antenna supported by two 50-foot wooden poles.
Eighteen of WEVD's 50 hours of airtime each week were programmed by a time broker who maintained his own studio on Jamaica Ave. in Queens.
In October 1931, the Jewish Daily Forward, the respected mass-circulation Yiddish language paper, contributed $250,000 to underwrite the station.
In the spring of 1932, a new transmitter was put into service along Newtown Creek in Brooklyn.
Morris Novik became program director, and in 1935 Henry Greenfield began his three-decade tenure as station manager.
In 1937, Der Farverts (the renamed Jewish Daily Forward) tossed in another $100,000.
The Debs Memorial Radio Fund was later merged with the Forward Association and ran WEVD as a commercial operation.
On January 26, 1933, WEVD established its "University Of The Air" with a lecture by historian Henrik Van Loon.
Philosopher John Dewey was also a frequent speaker, and guests included Albert Einstein.
On the announcing staff in the early 1930's was House Jamieson, who attained national fame playing "Renfrew Of The Mounted" and Henry's father on "The Aldrich Family."
Other announcers included Ev Suffens, who later joined the NBC staff under the name "Ray Nelson" and Gene King who went on to WOR/Mutual.
Hosting in Yiddish were Nuchem Stutzkoff, Ben Basenko and Zvee Scooler, who also had a distinguished acting career.
Scooler started on WEVD in 1932, commenting on the news in rhyme and was still with the station 40 years later on "The Forward Hour," which WEVD proudly called "New York's oldest continuous live program."
In 1932, the station moved from Union Square to studios atop the Hotel Claridge in Times Square.
On November 11, 1938, it occupied spacious and well-equipped facilities at 117 W. 46th St.
There were 4 studios in the WEVD building, one of which could seat an audience of 100.
The dedicatory program featured a dramatization of WEVD's history.
Also in 1938, WEVD bought station WFAB, one of four stations with which it shared 1300, boosting its airtime to 86 hours a week.
The station attracted a wide audience with such unpolitical programs as the "Midnight Jamboree" on which Gene King filled requests for "any song, any language" from WEVD's multi-ethnic record library.
Noted primarily for its Yiddish broadcasts, "the station that speaks your language" was heard in literally dozens of tongues, from Japanese to Macedonian.
The International Ladies Garment Workers Union had an Italian show, "The Voice Of Local 89" on the station, as well as actor Robert Alda, with an Italian talk and variety program.
"Hello Germany" featured Jeanette vanDelden and Erwin Holl, which was heard for 2 hours each afternoon.
Also heard was "Raisins And Almonds", a mid-morning show hosted by Art Raymond, which was a longtime favorite in Jewish households.
WEVD also featured general-audience programs, including jazz by "Symphony Sid" Torin and Latino music by Dick "Ricardo" Sugar.
In 1941, WEVD moved to 1330 AM, sharing time with WBBR and WHAZ from Troy NY.
WEVD continued with the same basic format during the 50's, 60's and 70's.
In March 1981, WEVD was sold for $1.1 million to Salem Media, a Christian religious broadcaster, and changed the call letters to WNYM "New York Ministry" on March 2.
Soon afterwards, WNYM began sharing facilities with share-time station WPOW.
Studios were established in a renovated recreation building at 7 Smyrna Ave. in Staten Island.
Station manager Jimmy DeYoung conducted a daily interview program, and most of the day was filled with paid religious broadcasts, including the controversial Rev. Jerry Falwell and programs from his organization, the Moral Majority.
In 1983, Radio Vision Christiana, a non-profit Hispanic
Pentecostal society, began to lease time on WNYM.
The next year, Salem Media and WPOW reached an agreement that would allow WNYM to become a full-time station.
The studio/transmitter site at 1111 Woodrow Rd. in the Rossville section of Staten Island was sold for $4 million and early in 1985, WNYM moved from the recreation center to renovated facilities in Rossville.
The Spanish Pentecostal programming was expanded and there were several hours of Jewish-oriented programs in the evening.
An aircheck of WNYM from 1986 can be heard here.
In June 1989, Salem Media purchased WMCA and sold off WNYM to Radio Vision, and calls became WWRV on June 30.
The sale price was $12 million, which was also the purchase price of WMCA.
WWRV became the first Spanish-language religious broadcaster in the city, with inspirational talk and counseling, religious music and revival meetings.
WWRV then closed down it's Rossville facilities and new studios were established at 240 Broadway in Paterson NJ, along with a new transmitter at a site in Hackensack NJ, shared with fellow religious broadcaster, WWDJ.
In 1994, Radio Vision Christiana International started up a station on 530 AM on the Turks & Caicos Islands in the British West Indies, which relays WWRV's programming around the clock.
(Thanks to J.M. Rubin for some of this information)
WEBL/WEBM - 1330 AM, New York
WEBL & WEBM both started broadcasting around 1924.
WEBM went off the air around 1926, while WEBL continued on until early 1927.
WMSG - 1350 AM, New York
This station orginally started off as WWGL, owned by the Radio Engineering Corp. of Richmond Hill, in August 1925 on 1410 AM.
In 1926, boxing promoter Tex Rickard purchased the station and changed calls to WMSG.
The studio was moved to Madison Square Garden with transmitter and antenna on the copper roof, initially considered an excellent siting for the ground radiation system.
WMSG planned to air all events taking place at Madison Sqaure Garden, concerts as well as sports.
As it turned out, sports coverage was never the biggest part of the WMSG schedule.
For one thing, the station had to share time on its frequency and therefore might not be on the air when a prizefight or basketball game was scheduled, nor could it extend its hours to cover an entire event.
Also, major events usually attracted the interest of larger stations and networks, which could easily outbid the Garden's own station.
In the late 1920's, Madison Square Garden was the home of the annual "Radio World's Fair" exhbits, showing off the latest in radio (and even television!).
Several New York stations set up remotes and broadcasted from the Garden, but WMSG never bothered to join the show taking place under its own roof.
There is evidence that after the NBC network was launched in the fall of 1926 and a national audience was created, Tex Rickard's interest in his own broadcasting station began to wane.
In 1927, WMSG moved to 990 AM and then later to 1070 AM and 1270 AM.
In August 1927, WMSG applied to change its call letters to WPUB and its corporate name to Public Broadcasting Corp.
Although the FRC appproved the request, the Garden management had second thoughts, and even though the letters WPUB were never spoken on the air, the commission went through the formality of changing them back to WMSG.
WMSG's programming featured French lessons and a children's series called "Tots From Tottysville."
Composer and conductor Morton Gould made some of his earliest radio appearances playing the piano on WMSG.
The station even escaped the confines of the Garden to cover golf matches and other events.
Unfortunately, poor operating conditions caused WMSG to lose some of its best fans.
On May 4, 1929, the New York Times reported that the Radio Association of Reliable Merchants was campaigning, along with sports fans and athletic societies, to get WMSG a better frequency.
Its 500 watts was cut to 250 in 1928 when it moved to 1350 AM, and many listeners complained that the signal couldn't break through interference from adjacent stations.
The Garden reorganized its radio operation as the New York Metropolitan Broadcasting Corp., but the station was always minor compared to where it was located.
In a series of steps between December 1931 and November 1933, the Madison Sqaure Garden studio was shut down, the transmitter moved to the Bronx, and operations transferred over to WBNX (see WKDM's profile below).
WKDM - 1380 AM, New York
This station started off as WKBQ when it signed on the air on September 25, 1926 on 1040 AM from the Starlight Amusement Park, during a period of regulatory limbo before the creation of the Federal Radio Commission, when broadcast licenses were easy to obtain.
WKBQ plugged the day's leading attractions alogn with a daily broadcast called "Starlight Parking", an advisory on the best way into the park, and it became one of the city's first traffic bulletins.
Starting in 1927, WKBQ regularly relayed programming from WPCH.
However, the station also drew on its own "stable" of speakers and musicians for a nice mix of popular and classical music.
The park's major attraction was a series of full-length operas staged each summer as a showcase for young American singers, and was broadcast over WKBQ.
The station also covered local happenings on the "North Side News Hour."
In June 1927, WKBQ moved over to 1370 AM, sharing time with 2 other stations.
Then, on November 11, 1928 - a day where hundreds of stations around the country were re-assigned - WKBQ moved to 1350 AM, and began a time-share agreement with 3 other stations, including WMSG (see above).
Among the structures at the Starlight Amusement Park was the New York Coliseum.
Not to be confused with the Columbus Circle venue of the same name that opened a quarter-century later, this was a large wooden exhibit hall that was transported by station owner Allen Cahill intact from Philadelphia.
WKBQ moved into the structure in 1929 and erected twin towers there to support the antenna.
This would be the station's home when it was sold at the end of 1930 to Amory Lawrence Haskell.
On New Year's Day 1931, WKBQ became WBNX.
WBNX was the New York affiliate of comedian Ed Wynn's ill-fated Amalgamated Broadcasting System network.
The network debuted on September 25, 1933 with a gala 4 hour broadcast and then folded a month later.
On November 1, 1933, share-time station WCDA took over the operation of WBNX and WMSG (see above), but retained the WBNX calls.
Just before Christmas 1933, studios and offices were moved from 101 Park Ave. in Manhattan to the Melrose Central building, above the New York Central tracks at 260 E. 161st St.
An early show on the station featured "The Four Dreamers" (Al Gallagher, Greg Schenkewitz and two female vocalists).
However, for most of its broadcast day, WBNX specialized in foriegn-language programming.
It boasted a "full staff of foreign language production men."
The station even won a Peabody Award in 1942 for outstanding service to foreign-language groups.
In 1937, Amory Haskell changed the corporate name to the WBNX Broadcasting Corp.
In 1941, WBNX moved to 1380 AM and increased its power to 5000 watts full-time.
In the mid-1940's, WBNX presented a late-night series of recorded arias entitled "Opera In Bed."
During the 1940's, Willy Reske and The Reske Harmonettes were featured on WBNX; pics can be seen here.
In the 1950's, the station's broadcast day started at 9am with "Pinebrook Praises," whose preaching was accompanied by canaries chirping in the background.
The station maintained its own orchestra long after the network stations had given up live music.
Herb Mendolsohn conducted light classics at 5:30 and 7:30 each evening.
"Music For The Slumber Hour" from 11pm to midnight featured more soothing music.
Among its foreign-language broadcasts was one of New York's few programs in French.
"The French Hour" at 10pm attracted both native frankophones and students andlovers of the French culture.
One distinctive service provided by WBNX was the daily summary from the racetracks sponsored by the Armstrong Racing Form.
Each weekday afternoon at 5:45 (with a summary and late scratches at 7:55), the horn-like monotone of Charlie Vackner announced win, place and show at Belmont, Aqueduct, Jamaica, and even Pimlico and Hialeah.
In 1960, WBNX was sold to the United Broadcasting Company (UBC) and a year later, the new owners moved studios to 560 5th Ave. in Manhattan.
Overnight hours of rhythm-and-blues and gospel music were directed at the African American audience, but more time was devoted to Spanish-language broadcasting until it was fully Latino.
In 1964, a telethon on WBNX raised funds to support the Puerto Rican Day parade.
WBNX provided good news coverage and became the center of a story on July 13, 1968, when 6 Cuban men invaded the studios - then at 801 2nd Ave. - and held employees at gunpoint while they delivered a 5 minute tirade against Cuban dictator Fidel Castro.
The intruders left without hurting anyone.
Station owner at the time, Richard Eaton, was shocked by the incident, especially since the station had always maintained an anti-Castro editorial position.
WBNX managed to get the tirade on tape, and newscaster Antonio Capiro had his lead story right in time for the eleven o'clock news.
In the mid-1970's, the station started to mix in some Italian and Jewish programming.
In 1975, studios and offices were moved to the Carlstadt NJ transmitter site.
On September 1, 1984, UBC changed the call letters to WKDM.
Also at this time, WKDM became a full-time station when WAWZ, a share-time station for over 50 years, was dissolved.
An aircheck of WAWZ/WBNX can be heard here.
WKDM continued their "Spanish contemporary hits" format, left over from the WBNX days.
Longtime WBNX afternoon host Polito Vega took over the morning show, with newscaster Coco Cabrera.
Among WKDM's other air personalities were Manolo Iglesias, Nelson Rodriguez and Pedro Juan.
In 1988, studios were moved to 570 5th Ave.
In 1993, WKDM was purchased by Arthur Liu's MultiCultural Broadcasting, owner of WNWK (now WCAA) in Newark NJ.
The new owner cut back on the Spanish/Latino programming to the morning and early afternoon hours and instituted Chinese programming in the evening.
On July 21, 2000, calls were changed to WNNY and 1380 started up a Spanish news/talk format.
On July 24, 2002, WNNY dropped their Spanish news/talk format and went to Regional Mexican music as "La X 1380", under new owners Mega Communications.
Call letters changed to WLXE on August 8, 2002.
In June 2003, Mega sold 1380 back to MultiCultural.
On June 30, 2003, the call letters changed back to WKDM and the station once again embraced a brokered ethnic format.
(Thanks to Ron Gallagher for some of this information)
(Thanks to Bryan Vargo for sending in a WNNY and WLXE logo)
WSDA - 1400 AM, New York
The Seventh Day Adventist Church instituted its broadcast operations on March 23, 1923 with a station called WSAP on 833 AM, located in The City Temple at 120th St. and Lenox Ave. in Harlem.
Minister Louis K. Dickson served as station manager.
In March 1924, the station moved to 1140 AM.
On June 3, 1925, the call letters were changed to WSDA.
Later that year, the church building was sold, and the Adventists moved both the congregation and the station to 122 W. 76th St.
Twice in its short history, the Adventists' station left the air, but it was back in the spring of 1926 with a regular schedule.
However, by the end of the year, WSDA described its program schedule as "irregular operation"; it had fallen victim to the general chaos on the then-unregulated airwaves.
On June 15, 1927, the new Federal Radio Commisison (FRC) assigned WSDA to share 1320 AM with two Brooklyn stations: WBBC and WARS (see both below).
A plan to move the WSDA transmitter to a site on City Island was scrapped when the station was bought by the Ameteur Radio Specialty Co., onwer of WARS.
In September 1927, WARS took over operation of the station, which continued to broadcast as WSDA.
WSDA followed WARS over to the St. George Hotel, where the latter became WSGH in February 1928.
WSDA remained in irregular operation as one of 5 broadcasters on 1400 AM until 1930, when the Ameteur Radio Specialty Co. sold its stations to the Paramount Broadcasting Corp.
For its final months on the air, WSDA operated in tandem with WSGH as "WSGH-WSDA", until both stations were dissolved into a new station: WFOX (see below).
WIBT - 1420 AM, New York
WIBT, which was operated from Carnegie Hall, broadcasted briefly in 1924 and 1925.
WBBC - 1430 AM, Brooklyn
On August 24, 1926, 21 year old Peter J. Testan's Brooklyn Broadcasting Corp. began operation of WBBC at 1200 AM, and after a few self-appointed shifts in frequency (among them 1320 AM in June 1927), settled down at 1400 AM in November 1928, sharing time with 3 other stations.
The share-time arrangement caused numerous conflicts for years.
In November 1928, WBBC and WSGH (see below) at the St. George Hotel were in conflict and defying federal regulators as well as arbitration attempts by the Brooklyn Chamber Of Commerce.
On November 23, both stations deliberately broadcast at the same time for about a half-hour.
As the fight continued into the 1930's, WBBC was sharing one-quarter time with WLTH (see below), WVFW (see below) and WARD - and suffering financial difficulties.
In 1937, the FCC voted to allow WBBC to take over the time of WARD and WLTH - a move that would be tied up in court for 4 more years.
WBBC specialized in foreign-langauge broadcasting in Italian, German, Yiddish, Polish, and several Scandinavian tongues, as well as programs aimed at Irish listeners.
The influential musician Dave Tarras, a popularizer of Jewish klezmer music, was WBBC's music director.
Another of the stations popular artists was cantor Moishe Oysher, whose performances combined Hebrew liturgical msuic with his own brand of Yiddish scat singing.
Finally in 1941, WBBC and the other share-time stations came toegether to form the Unified Broadcasting Corp. of Brooklyn.
Peter Testan became one-quarter owner of the new full-time station on 1430 AM, which became WBYN and later WNJR.
WLTH - 1430 AM, Brooklyn
Flatbush Radio Laboratories at 1421 E. 10th St. was operated by Robert Lacey and James A. Bergner.
On September 21, 1925 they put up station WFRL on 1460 AM and brought in Charles Burke to manage the station.
When radio entered a period of suspended regulation in 1926, WFRL reassigend itself to 910 AM and occupied that frequency for 5 months until the new Federal Radio Commission was established and sent them back to 1460 AM.
Unhappy with the commission's actions,WFRL became a leader in organizing the smaller stations in the New York area to formally protest to Washington.
In May 1927, WFRL moved its facilities to the Strand Danceland building at 635 Fulton St.
Direct pickups from the popular dance hall were a regular part of the station's schedule.
In June 1927, WFRL switched frequencies to 1370 AM and In July of that year, the station was sold to Leverich Towers Hotel and became WLTH.
Leverich Towers Hotel was a grand structure constructed by one of Brooklyn's leading real estate developers, A. Lyle Leverich, at 25 Clark St. in Brooklyn Heights.
Construction began in 1926 at a cost of $4 million.
Studios on the mezzanine floor were to be equipped with the latest equipment and modern soundproofing, and there was to be a studio in Manhattan.
A new transmitter on the shores of Jamaica Bay was also planned, however when WLTH took to the air, it was through WFRL's old facility atop the Strand Danceland.
By 1928, the Leveriches were facing bankrupcy and trying to scale back their hotel by such compromises as lowering the height of the ceilings.
For a while, WLTH was operating through the Staten Island transmitter of WBBR.
Station manager Samuel Gellard became head of a new parent company called the Voice Of Brooklyn Inc., which was one of the creditors when the Leverich Towers went into foreclosure in 1929.
The hotel was later renamed simply, The Towers.
In 1930, WLTH moved into new quarters and identified itseld as "WLTH: The Voice Of Brooklyn In The Brooklyn Daily Eagle Building."
The station was not owned by the Eagle - it occupied only 2 rooms on the ground floor in exchange for the airtime it provided to the paper.
Eagle "news flashes" were presented several times each day, delivered by Eagle reporter Maurice McLaughlin or radio editor Joe Ranson.
During the Depression, WLTH was able to survive through a clever (and questionable) scheme.
The station broadcasted daily periods of recorded music interspersed with brief commercial messages.
According to announcer Ken Roberts, who began his career at WLTH in 1930 at a salary of $25 a week, the station would approach butchers, grocers, clothiers, and other small merchants around the borough and offer them participating sponsorship of a musical program.
The plug would be free of charge, but WLTH asked that the business absorb a "music tax" that the station claimed it was obligated to pay - $50 for a 13-week run.
The federal government never took action against the station for making up the "music tax", nor did any sponsor ever renew.
WLTH was so hungry for business that it sold 60 seconds of airtime each day for a week to a "mysterious bearded old man" who used his minute to say, "I love you, I love you, I love you..."
In a more conventional marketing effort, the station organized the WLTH Radio Foodstores to serve Jewish grocers and advertisers.
On October 21, 1931, WLTH opened a studio at 105 2nd Ave. in Manhattan, in the heart of the Yiddish theatre district.
The station maintained a 100-seat auditorium and among its programs were shows aimed at the Italian and Scandinavian population.
The variety of WLTH's shows was impressive: "Ben Bolt And His Nuts," a very local Yiddish news and chatter show called "Brunsviller Zeide" (Brownsville Times), "The Brooklyn Foreign Affairs Forum," "Voices Of The Street," Legends Of Palastine," and a comical series called "Happy Tho' Married."
In 1933, in cooperation with the Long Island Historical Society, WLTH produced a series calling "Looking Back In Brooklyn," which dramatized "vital incidents that have gone into the making of this - the world's largest residential center."
In the mid-1930's, WLTH became involved in the "Brooklyn radio fight" with share-time stations WARD, WBBC (see above) and WVFW (see below).
In 1941, all stations merged, with WLTH being dissolved into WBYN.
WVFW - 1430 AM, Brooklyn
This station started out as WARS on a frequency of 1016 AM on November 3, 1926.
Studios were located in the Brighton Beach section of Brooklyn atop the Hotel Shelburne on Ocean Parkway and Sea Breeze Ave., overlooking the beach.
WARS called itself, "The Voice Of The Atlantic."
In 1927, the station moved to 1320 AM.
With the Shelburne slated for demolition, in December 1927 WARS applied to the Federal Radio Commission (FRC) for a "remote control studio" in the St. George Hotel in downtown Brooklyn.
In February 1928, calls were changed to WSGH and the station moved to Brooklyn Heights.
The station was able to attract a good group of caberet and concert artists, who performed at the hotel lounges and ballrooms.
It also took over the programming of the Seventh Day Adventists' station WSDA (see below), which had been operated by WARS since 1927.
On November 11, 1928, WSGH was one of hundreds of stations in the country to change frequency and one of five ordered to share 1400 AM in Brooklyn.
Its broadcast hours were greatly reduced, and in early 1929, the studios were moved out of the St. George to 135 Eastern Pkwy.
By the end of the year, WSGH combined operations with WSDA, as "WSGH-WSDA".
Then in late December 1930, the station was moved to the Fox Theatre at 1 Nevins St., where it became WFOX.
In September 1931, the FRC was trying to put WEVD (see above) off the air and replacing it with WFOX (by moving the station over to 1300 AM, but still sharing with 3 other stations), however no change was made.
In October 1933, WFOX manager Salvatore D'Angelo applied to have the calls changed to WFWV, and then, at the suggestion of the Veterans Of Foreign Wars, to WVFW.
He brought members of the veterans' organization into the operation of the station, and for the next 7½ years WVFW operated for the benefit, and sometimes under the protection, of the veterans' group, which at that time had 5000 members in Brooklyn.
WVFW's studios were at 49 4th St.
In 1934, ownership was formally transferred by Salvatore D'Angelo to his brother Anthony, who had no broadcasting experience.
During a time when federal regulators sought to revoke the license of WVFW and the three stations with which it shared time, the "official Voice of the Veterans of Foreign Wars" drew even closer to its namesake, and in January 1936, complete control of the station was transferrd to the VFW.
Past County Commander Harold Burke became president of the station, with Sal D'Angelo continuing as managing director.
The station was run on a commercial basis, with part of its income dedicated to the support of veterans' relief activities.
A year later, with its license under challenge by WEVD, WVFW was defended in an FCC hearing by a past national commander of the VFW, who stated that the station was part of the organization's Americanism campaigns.
At the same time, however, it was revealed that Anthony D'Angelo was still the sole stockholder in WVFW, that he had taken control during his brother's illness in 1933, and that his role was limited to signing a few papers.
WVFW shared time with three other stations at 1400 AM, and like them, directed its programs to Brooklyn's ethnic audiences, much of it in Yiddish or Italian.
WVFW's license was nearly canceled in January 1936 when the FCC sought to untangle the "Brooklyn radio fight" and grant 1400 to the proposed Brooklyn Daily Eagle station, WLTH (see above), but the FCC reversed itself and WVFW continued on.
In 1941, WVFW joined the other share-time stations in organizing the Unified Broadcasting Co., and was absorbed into WBYN.