Here are some different exercises that I found to help improve writing or give you a start on a poem.
Found Poems - find some good language and improve upon it.
- find 50-100 words you like that are not already artistically arranged
- copy the words the way you found them
- play with the words...cut out the dull parts, change punctuation if necessary, try to cut the number of words in half (DO NOT ADD WORDS)
- read the cut down to yourself...find a title and arrange the words so they express how they work should be read
- give credit to your source at the bottom
- on a sheet of paper jot down some names of famous and interesting deceased people and/or some interesting things or forces...then choose one from the list
- draft a letter to the person or thing you chose...include everything...use "I"...when done sign your real name
- draft another letter as if written by a famous person and decide who will receive it
- draft another letter to someone known to you but not many others and sign this draft with another name or anonymous
- choose the best letter and work on it
- cut out unnecessary things
- expand parts you like
- find the best order for things