About the Pink Palace
• Built in 1929 and designed by architect GC McAllister.
• Style of architecture: Spanish, Southern Mediterranean
• Location: 10010 Sunset Blvd, Beverly Hills CA (on 3.5 acres)
• The Pink Palace contained 7 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms along with a dining room,
bar, library, and wine cellar. The estate also included a 3 bedroom staff suite and a
separate guest house. 40 rooms total @ 10,000 square feet.
• Rudy Vallee purchased the home in 1932 for $125,000. Newlyweds Jayne Mansfield
and Mickey Hargitay bought it in 1958 for $76,000 (what a bargain!). After 1967,
other owners included: Rita Greenland, Ringo Starr, Mamma Cass Elliot, and
• The Pink Palace took its name from Jayne Mansfields trademark color. Upon moving
in, the star completely covered the place -- from its surrounding brick and
stucco walls to the actual mansion they guarded -- in a gentle pink paint, sprinkled
with the powder of crushed sandstone.
• Jayne decorated the Pink Palace by writing to over 1,500 furniture and building
suppliers and asking for free samples. She told the donors they could
then brag that their goods were in her outlandish mansion. This pitch worked
and Jayne received over $150,000 worth of free merchandise.
• Other unique features of the home included an iron door, a massive crystal
chandelier that hung from a beamed wooden ceiling, a heart-shaped
fireplace, the world-famous heart-shaped swimming pool with matching
heart-shaped jacuzzi.As a finishing touch at the bottom of the pool read
"I love you Jaynie" in gold leaf mosaic.
• Demolished: November 9th, 2002