IF you're like me, you don't just listen to one side of a story, and take it for the truth, the only truth, and nothing but the truth. You need proof. Sources. Well, good. you've come to the right place. That's what we're all about here at Pro-Angelfire. A(nother) DISCLAIMER: the information on this page (and the rest of this site) wont always be accurate; times change, and so do the rules (not to mention URLs)!
- Angelfire did have 1 (one) disaterous disk crash. Ask any Angelfire user who was around when that happened... But note that Angelfire's server crashed only 1 time!!
- Angelfire does censor pages. To say they censor all pages is a bit of a stretch. See Rules & Regulations for complete details. This is to ensure that there is
no sex and other things that could be considered offensive. Who needs that trash anyway? The internet
is considered the information highway. Why do you need all the negative stuff?
- Angelfire reserves the right to delete pages without prior notice. See Rules & Regulations. But, so do other pages!
Geocities does it!
I quote, "You agree that Yahoo, in its sole discretion, may terminate your password, Yahoo GeoCities Site, use of the Service or use of any other Yahoo service, and remove and discard any Content within the Service, for any reason, including, without limitation, for lack of use or if Yahoo believes that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the TOS. Yahoo may also in its sole discretion and at any time discontinue providing the Service, or any part thereof, with or without notice. You agree that any termination of your access to the Service under any provision of this TOS may be effected without prior notice, and acknowledge and agree that Yahoo may immediately deactivate or delete your Yahoo GeoCities Site and all related information and files in your Yahoo GeoCities Site and/or bar any further access to such files or the Service."
Tripod does it!!
Again i quote, "Tripod reserves the right to delete any page at any time for any reason or no reason at all." Thats as no-nonsense as it gets!
Nettaxi does it!!!
Another Quote: "...Nettaxi Online Communities reserves the right to modify or discontinue the Service with or without notice to Citizen." This is the server that the Anti-Angelfire Page is on!!
Fortune City does it!!
Quote: "FortuneCity reserves the right to delete any page it deems unacceptable for any reason without prior notice."
- The pages mentioned above are not the only free page servers which have the right to move you without notice; Xoom, WBS, and Crosswinds (which i hesitate to say because there are more loopholes in their policy than in a 30 year old pair of socks sitting on swiss cheese near a rifle range), are just a few examples of places that will censor your page without notice.
- All of the above mentioned homepage servers have a place that you can go to report pages that are in violation of their terms of service/agreements.
- Angelfire also doesn't just "lose pages" all the time! 99% of the time it is some kind of human error. I've deleted pages on accident. It happens.
Why is it that a lot of people says that only Angelfire censors the pages? Everyone does it! Not being able to have child porn on your site is a censorship! Translation: Every site on the internet censors something either by law or by morals, whether it is a censorship on some kind of obscene language, or a site with a racist overtone. Censorship is EVERYWHERE. Its just in different forms, i.e. "Guidelines", "Terms of Service", "Member Agreements", and so on...
Geocities has Terms of Service! And what is that? A guideline! What is a guideline? An indication or outline of policy or conduct . Gee... that sounds a little like censorship. Go to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary homepage, and look it up if you don't concur.
Tripod is another good example (and this example is just a fraction of what they have to say, the list goes all the way to T!):
"The following is a non-exclusive list of actions and content that are prohibited on the Site. Tripod may cancel any Membership associated with such actions or content or may remove any associated Member Web Page with or without prior notice, in its sole discretion.
a)Any use of copyrighted, trademarked, patented or servicemarked material without the express permission of the author or owner, the commission of any acts of copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or other intellectual property infringement, or contributing to, inducing, or facilitating such infringement. This prohibition shall include, without limitation, the following forms of software piracy:
- Making available copyrighted software which has been "cracked", for example, the copyright protection has been removed from the software;
- Making available serial numbers for software that can be used to illegally validate or register software;
- Making available tools that can be used for no purpose other than for "cracking" software (this does not include tools that have legitimate uses for software developers, system administrators, etc.);
- Making available any software files for which the user does not own the copyright or have the legal right to make available."
How about some other place? FreeYellow, for instance... they also have a terms of service similar to that of Angelfire's and most other free webpage servers.
And if you are really obsessed with the "right to free speech", don't go to Xoom. I quote, "We want to be completely honest about our policy. XOOM provides free home pages, but we do not guarantee the right to free speech. XOOM is the final arbiter of what IS and IS NOT allowed on our site." Source: Xoom's Terms of Service.
Basically, every page has terms of service. The only loop-hole are sites that you pay to be on. Then there are usually no restrictions. Why usually? Because by law (internet specific or not), no site on the internet can have child pornography, or be violence promoting racist. For instance, no site can say "i want to kill [whoever] because [whatever]", or "lets kill them because they're [yada yada yada]." It's against the law, and any way you look at it, it is a censorship. Sure, you can have any beliefs you want, but you can't nescesarily be public with them.
There seems to be a large censorship dispute. People have expressed concern as to the safety of their sites. The propaganda on the anti-angelfire page is full of holes. The page states that pages will be censored without notice and cause, but not tell you the whole story. Or rather, they cannot. As i've said before, this page does not provide sources. What they say is worth nothing, unless they can back it up. I could say that the k with a circle around it on bottles of Snapple is proof that Snapple is owned by some hate group. If i do not have anything to back this statement up, what i say is totally worthless.
Please do not blindly listen to all the anti page says without challenging it. This is why i designed this page. Because i knew the anti page was winning a hate war without ammo. And the worst thing is that no one challenged them and just fell victim to their propaganda, believing everything that was said there. In order to know the truth, you must investigate the matter. There is no sign of any kind of any research to back up what is on the anti page.
In a nutshell, don't blindly listen to propaganda. It could be true, but you won't know unless you know the whole story. I've made it my job to tell you the whole story, whether it credits or discredits Angelfire. But at least you will be able to say, "I feel this way because...", and not discredit yourself because you do not know the whole story.
If you can find a place that does not censorship it's (homepage) services, and is not ignorant of the law, send the page to me. If you can find a page that fits this criteria, i will write and post a sincere letter of apology for having false information on this site.
March 31, 1999:
Davided65@aol.com sent me a letter called "your imminent apology". he pointed me to the site @ www.nettrash.com. He did not research the facts before he sent me the letter. I then pointed him to the policy page, and killed that noise real quick! This is why this site researches it's material.