A leading and progressive stockman of Converse County, William M. Reynolds, whose residence is at the city of Lusk, Wyoming is a native of Kansas, having been born in that state on October 17, 1861, the son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Massey) Reynolds, natives of Illinois and Missouri. His paternal grandfather, also named Thomas was a native of Scotland and one of the earliest settlers and pioneers of Illinois where he resided at the time of the organization of the territory and he received the appointment as the first territorial governor, a position which he held for a considerable time with distinguished honor. Subsequently he removed to Kansas, continued in his former business of farming and stock raising and remained there until his death. The father of Wm. Reynolds made his home in Kansas during the entire life, except a short time in 1864, when he crossed the plains to California, being extensively engaged in farming and stock raising operations and he also was a successful and representative man of his state and the father of seven children. William M. Reynolds grew to manhood in his native state and received his education in the public schools, When he had attained the age of fifteen years his desire to make his own way in the world induced him to lease school and go to Texas in pursuit of fortune. Here he remained for about one year and then went to Nebraska, where in company with John Sharp, he located near the later site of Fort Niobrara. They remained here during the winter of 1878-79 and in the spring he came to Wyoming, making his headquarters in the southern part of the territory. The following year he passed in the vicinity of Cheyenne employed in riding the range, thus acquiring a practical knowledge of the cattle business. The next year he came to the site of the city of Lusk, and secured employment with the Western Livestock Co., and remained with them for about two years. He then resigned his position to engage in business for himself and located a ranch at the head of Rawhide Creek, about sixteen miles south of Lusk. In the fall of 1885 he sold his interest there and went to Kansas, purchased cattle which he brought back to Wyoming and located on Rawhide Creek, near the present location of Patrick post office and here he remained for about eight years in the cattle business and was successful, then disposing of his ranch about one and one-half miles south of Lusk. He has remained here since that time and is one of the most prosperous and successful ranch and stockmen in that section. His favorite breed of cattle is the Hereford, and he is the owner of a large herd among them being some of the finest animals in the state. He is also interested in horses having a considerable number of the best grades of Clydesdales and Percherons. A view of his fine ranch, with the stock ranging on it is one of the most attractive sights of Converse County. He is the owner of 4,000 acres of land, a great deal of which is under irrigation and he grows many hundreds of tons of hay. On November 24, 1881, Mr. Reynolds was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Goodwin, a daughter of O. P. Goodwin, a highly respected citizen of Lusk, Wyoming. To their union have been born four children, Lewis, George, Nomie and Russell. The home of Mr. Reynolds is well known for its generous hospitality and the family is held in high regard. Fraternally, Mr. Reynolds is affiliated with the Masonic order as a Knight Templar and as a Thirty-second degree Mason of the Scottish Rite. He also belongs to the Woodmen of the World and takes an active interest in the fraternal and social life of the community. He is one of the solid businessmen and property owners of Converse County, and is respected for his many sterling qualities by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. When the historian of the future traces the name of the men of the pioneer period, he will surely number Mr. Reynolds among them.