In a New Country, where population is very sparse and the conditions of life at best are hard and full of privation, where as yet only the scouting party or advance guard of the army of civilization has encamped and is busily engaged in blazing and opening the way for the progress of the main body, every man who has a special craft, particularly one that ministers essentially to the comfort and well-being of his kind, is a most welcome addition to the camp, and to the full measure of the capacity and the usefulness of his special function, he is enthroned among his fellows as a potential benefactor. Something like this has been the fate of Henry Jordan, who was the first practical flour-miller in Wyoming, who superintended the erection and equipment of the flouring mill at Sheridan, one of the earliest ones of the state, and who after its construction, faithfully operated it for a number of years. Mr. Jordan was born in Pennsylvania in May 1843, the son of Alexander and Margaret (Macom) Jordan. His father was also a native of Pennsylvania and of German ancestry, while his mother was born at sea Irish parentage. The Jordanís were early settlers in this country, the great grandfather of Henry having fought in the Revolutionary War, and the family having previously been active in patriotism throughout the colonial period of our history. The grandfather of Henry Jordan was a gallant soldier in the War of 1812, and in all the trials and triumphs of peace the line has had its contributory share wherever it has been found. In his native state Mr. Jordan was reared and educated and there also he learned and worked at his trade as a miller. In 1865 he came west to Iowa and in that state passed three years working at his trade. In 1868 he came to Wyoming but soon returned to Iowa, passing three years at Guthrie Center, occupied with his duties as a miller. At the end of that time he returned to his native state and for eight years was engaged in milling there. But the longing for the West remained with him and its pleading voice although frequently obscured by others would not be entirely silenced and so he came again to Wyoming and settled at Sheridan. There he superintended the building and furnishing of a flour mill and later bought an interest in it, which he conducted with a profit to himself and great satisfaction to the people of that neighborhood until 1895, when he sold his interest and removed to his present location. Here he erected a complete flour mill of the latest model, equipped it with machinery of the latest kind for making flour according to the most approved methods, and has since been operating this. It is the only patent process mill in the Bighorn basin. He was also taken an interest in land where he has lived, locating a preemption upon Wolf Creek when he came to Sheridan county, then Johnson County, and this he sold later. But now owns 180 acres of land near the mill and on it has built an attractive and comfortable residence. He also owns property in Sheridan but his mill is the principal industry, which occupies his time and attention. It has a capacity of eighty barrels and is of great benefit to the community; much of its output being consumed at home, where its quality and excellence are well known and high appreciated. Mr. Jordan is a very enterprising citizen, a liberal contributor to every movement for the advancement or elevation of his community. While not ostentatious in his public spirit he is never backward in his active support of any project that commends itself to his judgement as promising good to the general interest of the neighborhood or county. In regard to such matters his counsel is much sought and cordially esteemed. For many years he has been a member of the Masonic order, zealous and useful in his lodge. He was married in Pennsylvania in 1874, to Miss Elizabeth Simonton, a native of that state, who has ever been a faithful wife and an agreeable and valuable helpmate. This worthy couple stands high in the esteem of the public.