Although one of the younger businessmen of the city of Rawlins and the state of Wyoming. Griffith H. Maghee of the Ferris-Maghee Drug Co., of Rawlins, is clearly in the front rank of the business forces of the state and his enterprise and breadth of view will keep him there, however rapidly those forces may advance or widen the sweep of their operations. He is the son of a Wyoming pioneer of 1873, a native of Evansville, Indiana, born on January 25, 1872, and brought by his parents to reside in this new land when he was about a year old. His parents, Dr. Thomas G. and Mary E. (Williams) Maghee, were natives respectively of Indiana and Kentucky. The father grew to manhood in his native state and was educated in its public and other schools. At the beginning of the war between the sections he enlisted in the Union army and his service lasted to the close of the contest. He then completed his medical studies and joined the U. S. regular army and was appointed a surgeon in the service. In this capacity he was first stationed at Omaha and in 1873 was transferred to Wyoming and stationed at Fort Stanbaugh. Later he was at Fort Brown and then at Fort Washakie. In 1878 he resigned and locating at Green River, he opened a drug store and a year later, he removed his base of operations to Rawlins and engaged in the practice of medicine in which he is still actively occupied. In 1884 his wife died, leaving as her surviving children three sons, Morgan M., Griffith H., Torrey B. and Morgan M. is the efficient manger of the Rawlins electric light plant and was the captain of Troop K. in Colonel Torrey’s Rough Riders in the Spanish American War; Torrey B. is a cadet at West Point; Griffith H. is the immediate subject of these paragraphs. In 1885 the Doctor was married to his second wife, Miss Evelyn Baldwin, daughter of the late Major Noyes M. Baldwin of Lander. Griffith H. Maghee has so far passed his whole life from infancy in this state, except such time as he passed at school, and he is therefore thoroughly identified with the interests of the commonwealth and with the vitality and progress of her commercial industrial and moral forces. He was primarily educated in her public schools and in their more advanced courses of instruction prepared himself for the University training, which later he received at the State University of Nebraska, located at Lincoln. After leaving that institution he attended the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and thereafter the Northwestern University at Chicago from the pharmaceutical department of which he was graduated with honors in 1897. He returned to Wyoming and at Rawlins started a drug business, which in 1902 was merged in the present enterprise, conducted under the firm name of the Ferris-Maghee Drug Co., which is conducting a strictly first class establishment, down to date in every way being well worthy of the great confidence and popularity which it s benefits are spread. The men at the head of the enterprise are pharmacists, in truth and in fact and their chief desire, commercially, is to make their place of business essentially a pharmacy and not subordinate that feature to any side line not even any of those which are by custom allied with it. Their store is one of the finest in equipment and arrangement, and their stock is one of the most complete in the Northwest, where the large number of patrons may always be sure of finding the best of every article of standard and staple drugs, patent medicine toilet requisites, perfumes, rubber sundries and the other commodities belonging to the business. The genial and popular proprietors give their personal attention to the prescription department where they use only the freshest and purest drugs and chemicals and also exercise the most discriminating intelligence and skill in all the operations of their accurate prescription compounding. Their devotion to their business their careful attention to its every detail and their unvarying integrity and courtesy of manner have won for them a well deserved mercantile and professional success. In 1902 Mr. Maghee was appo9nted by the late Governor Richard a member of the state board of pharmacy of which he has been made secretary and in this position it has been his constant effort to have the laws governing the practice of pharmacy strictly enforced and he has won high commendations of his care and conscientiousness in the matter. He is a prominent member of the order of Odd Fellows in all of its branches and also belongs to the Woodmen of the World. On February 6, 1903, he and R. L. Newman of Rock Springs, organized the Wyoming Pharmaceutical Association and he was chosen secretary of the new organization. At Lander, in this state on June 11, 1900, Mr. Maghee wedded Miss Florence C. Baldwin a native of Fremont County, Wyoming and a daughter of the late Major Noyes M. Baldwin of Lander, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. His wife is a sister of his stepmother. Both of these ladies possess high accomplishments combined with the most pleasing manners and presence.