One of the prosperous and rising stockmen of Laramie County, whose address is Glendo, Wyoming, the subject of this sketch, George W. Davis, was born on January 23, 1861, being a native of the city of Elgin, Texas, and the son of Garland and Emily (Pettyjohn) Davis, the former a native of Georgia, and the latter of Illinois. His father was engaged in the occupation of farming in Texas, his farm being situated near Elgin, and he there remained employed in that pursuit up to the time of his death which occurred in 1893. The mother passed away in 1899 and both lie buried at Elgin. George W. Davis grew to manís estate at Elgin and upon the completion of his education, he remained at home with his father, assisting in the work and management of the farm until he had attained to the age of twenty-four years. He then determined to seek his fortune in the country to the west and north, and he came to the territory of Wyoming. Here he remained for a short time at Cheyenne, and subsequently removed to the vicinity of his present home, where he secured employment as a range-rider, for the purpose of acquiring a practical knowledge of the cattle business, in which he intended to engage as soon as circumstances would permit. He was first employed by the T. & B. Cattle Co., one of the large companies which were operating in that section of Wyoming, and remained with them about three years. He then resigned this position and secured employment in other sections of the country in the same business until 1894. In that year he ceased working for others and commenced business for himself. Coming to his present place, situated on the Platte River, about thirty-five miles southeast of Douglas and three miles east of Glendo, Wyoming, he there established himself in ranching and cattleraising. Since then he has been thus continuously employed and has met with success in his undertaking. Starting in a small way, as his limited means would permit, he has gradually added to his property holdings from year to year and in steadily increasing his business. By hard work, perseverance and good business methods he is slowly but surely building up a successful business and is destined to become one of the leading stockmen of his section of the county. On December 17, 1897, Mr. Davis was united in the holy bonds of matrimony at Douglas, Wyoming, to Mrs. Daisy L. (Jackson) Blaisdell, a native of the state of Ohio, and the daughter of Nathan and Sylvia Jackson, both natives of Ohio and also highly respected residents of that state. The parents of Mrs. Davis formerly resided in the state of Wyoming, but removed to the state of Ohio, where they are now residing. Mr. Davis has adopted the three children of his wife by her former husband, Daniel, Eaton and Sylvia, and they constitute a happy family at his home at Glendo, Wyoming. Politically, he is a stanch member of the Democratic Party, although he has never sought or desired public office, preferring to devote his entire time and attention to the management of his private business. He is highly respected in the community where he resides.