After years of wandering and working in various places, pushing one enterprise after another with characteristic energy and winning success from many hard conditions through clearness of vision and resoluteness of purpose, Fred L. Clark of near Inyankara, Crook county, Wyoming, at length halted his weary feet in one of the most picturesque and desirable sections of his last adopted state and is there engaged in a profitable and extensive business, raising cattle in large numbers and of superior grades, constantly enlarging his herds and improving their quality. Mr. Clark's life began on De-cember 22, 1859, in Lake county, Ohio, where his parents, Nathan and Margaret (Tinny) Clark, passed the years of their maturity, the mother dying in 1866, and the father in 1899, up to which time he carried on a high-grade merchant tailoring establishment, doing business in Cleveland, although residing at Willoughby, a beautiful lake town about twenty-five miles distant. Here their son Fred attended school and after finishing his education he clerked in stores, living with his father until he was twenty-four years of age. In 1882 the love of adventure, a spirit of independence and a thirst for larger opportunities and a freer life attracted him to the far west, and he came to Hailey, Idaho, and collecting there a fine herd of milch cows he opened a dairy business which he conducted through the summer, taking his cattle to Boise City in the fall and disposing of them at that place and turning his attention to the stock business, handling blooded horses and cattle, later entering a general store as a clerk until the summer of 1889, when he came overland to northern Wyoming and located a homestead in Crook county fourteen miles south of Sundance, where he remained engaged in stock-raising until the fall of 1899, when he sold the ranch and bought the one on which he now lives, eighteen miles south of Sundance, at the foot of Mt. Kara. Lying among the hills with a pleasing and advantageous secession of upland and plain, it is well watered, produces large crops of hay and grain and has an unusually fine body of grazing ground. The home place contains 480 acres and Mr. Clark controls about 800 more, all of which are under tribute to his extensive cattle business, which is one of the largest and most renowned in that part of the state. In addition to its natural beauty and interest, the section of country in which Mr. Clarkís ranch is located has historic associations and suggestions of value. What is known as Custerís trail runs by the ranch, marking the route of the distinguished but unfortunate general when in pursuit of the Indians. His name is cut in bold letters on the bald rock far up the mountainside, and it is said that inscription was the cutting of the generalís own hand. April 18, 1889, witnessed the marriage of Mr. Clark to Miss Ollie Thompson, who was born in Colchester, Illinois, in 1870, the ceremony being performed at Soda Springs, Idaho, and the bride was a daughter of Michael S. and Nancy (Dunsworth) Thompson, members of pioneer families in the great Prairie State, who settled in Idaho in 1884 and went to ranching near Boise City, where Mr. Thompson now resides, his capable wife having passed into the Eternal Silence in 1902. Mr. And Mrs. Clark have had four children, Nathan S., John V., Delia B., deceased, and Ethel L. Politically Mr. Clark affiliates with the Republican party, but is more concerned for the advancement of the community than party triumphs and he is held in high esteem throughout a large scope of country.