Created on 10th February 1764 by Count Esterhazy, the Regiment was formed in Phalsbourg in October of that year with the help of one squadron of the Bercheny, Chambourant and Nassau Regiments. In 1776 it received as a reinforcement the 4th Squadron of the Nassau Regiment which had just been disbanded.
On 1st January 1791 it became the 3eme Hussards. This lasted until 1814 when Louis XVIII gave the Regiment the name Regiment de Hussards du Dauphin. During the "100 days" they reverted to the 3eme, and were disbanded on 26th November 1815.
The Regiment saw service with La Grande Armee at Ulm, Jena, Magdebourg, Gollup, Bartenstein, Langenheim, Hoff and Guttstadt between 1815 and 1807.
They saw service in the Peninsula from then until 1813 and fought at Tudela, Astorga, Tanoris, Banos, Tamanies, Alba-de-Tormes, Ciudad-Rodrigo, Almeida, Leria, Alcoluto, Redinha, Fuentes d'Onoro, Los Arapiles and Vittoria. They returned to La Grande Armee for Leipzig in 1813 and in 1814 fought at Brienne, Montereau and Sezanne. In 1815 they were engaged at Belfort.
Members of the Regiment at the Napoleonic Association Ball in January 2006
Back to Main Menu