Exploring Web Page Design
Computer Applications II
Created April, 2000
What is a Web Page?
A web page is a multimedia file which can be stored on a web server.
It can include text, graphics, hypertext links, video and audio files.
What is a Web Site?
A web site is a collection of web pages created for the Internet.
The primary page is called the home page. Usually when someone accesses a web site, the home page will be the first page seen.
Additional pages of information related to the home page will be hyperlinked to the page.
The viewer can access the linked pages by clicking on the hyperlink on the home page.
Using a URL to Access a Web Page
Each web page has a URL (uniform resource locator) which is the addressing system used to locate web pages or other Internet resources.
Equipment/Software/Skill Needs to Author a Web Page
HTML Authoring Software (FrontPage, Word, etc.) OR Knowledge of HTML or Java Script
- Basic computer skills
- Access to a personal computer
- Access to the Internet
- Tools to create the page
Advantages of Publishing on the Web!
- Provides a global outreach to an international market
- Provides a low cost method of reaching people
- Allows immediate updating and/or changing of information
- Provides access to competitorís information if published online
Provides a global outreach to an international market
- The Internet is a collection of worldwide computers
- Users in Texas, France, and Japan can retrieve or view your web page quickly and easily.
Provides a low cost method of reaching a large number of people
- The Internet is not owned by a single organization, thus providing a cooperative effort by many organizations
A growing increase in the number of people worldwide that have Internet access.
- Computer system with Internet access (Many companies can use existing equipment to launch a web page)
- Service provider
Site to publish your page
Allows immediate updating and/or changing of information
- Someone with the knowledge to publish a Web page.
- Changing or updating the web page is as easy as editing the file and uploading the page again.
- It is easy, fast and changes the information immediately.
Provides access to competitorís information if published on the Web
- Any information published on the Internet is available to anyone with Internet Access.
- Companies can use this as a means of obtaining information on competitors.
Disadvantages of Publishing on the Web
How Can Web Pages be Used?
- $Cost of equipment and Internet provider service.
- Computer skills to create and publish web page
- #Number of people actually using the Internet. While the number is growing, there are still many people who do not yet use the Internet.
- *Cultural differences--If your information is to a specific group of people, you must investigate to be sure this group of people uses the Internet.
Web Page Design Terms(Make sure you know the definition of each of the following terms.)
- Personal Interest
- Home Page
- Java Script
- Web Authoring Software
- Web Page
- Web Server
- Web Site