THE NATIONAL SOCIETY OF BLACK ENGINEERS
1454 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 683-5312 (Fax)
here to go to the national webpage
The NSBE National Headquarters (HQ) is the resource center for the
organization. Its primary function is to provide continuity for the
organization, coordinate membership, fund-raising, publishing and administrative
activities. Operated by a professional staff, it is the prime source for
channeling communications, both internal and external to the membership and the
In addition, the Headquarters provides the following services:
• Provides continuity and consistency for the
• Gains resources for the organization through foundation funding and
· Facilitates strategic planning for the organization with the National
• Publishes the NSBE Magazine, The Career Engineer and The Bridge
· Maintains long term relationships with other industry organizations and
• Provides continuity for the organization with Public Relations;
• Maintains a library of legal documents, publications and other documents on
the National level;
• Handles accounting for all six regions, Alumni and NSBE
· Strategic planning for membership recruitment and retention;
• Provides membership services, such as processing membership applications,
dues, and chapter chartering documents;
• Serves as a primary contact source for convention and meeting planning on
the National level;
• Develops and coordinates the processing of convention registration;
• Provides administrative support, such as channeling information to the
chapters through mailings;
• Serves as the primary point of contact to the general public;
The National Executive Board (NEB) is the governing body for the National
Society of Black Engineers, and as such is responsible for setting policy and
making decisions for the organization.
POLICY AND PROCEDURES
• Members are encouraged to use the National Headquarters as a resource to
answer questions and solicit information.
• All requests made through the HQ should be made to the appropriate staff
· HQ does not have the resources to do graphic or handle printing work for
• Chapter mailings will be sent to chapters, the National Executive Board, the
regional boards, and national and regional advisors on or before the 5th of
every month (or on an as needed basis). Chapters are encouraged to check their
mailboxes at least twice a week.
• The HQ is responsible for distributing information from the NEB/NAB. It is
preferred that HQ receives documents for mailing in the final, proofed form,
however, special circumstances may call for HQ to proof read and edit documents
into final form.
• The HQ is not responsible for distributing information on behalf of a
particular region (including Alumni) to its chapters.
• Requests for refunds of membership dues and convention registration fees
must be made through the Membership Coordinator. A copy of the canceled check,
money order receipt or credit card statement must be submitted with a written
• To ensure receipt of mailings and NSBE publications, all address corrections
(chapter and individual members) must be sent (in writing-via fax or e-mail) to
the Membership Coordinator.
• HQ does not have NSBE paraphernalia (posters, T-shirts, hats, etc.) . These
items are generated by individual chapters, and are not stored at HQ.
• The publications Dept. does not over print the NSBE magazine, The Career
Engineer, or the NSBE Bridge. Requests for extra publications can only be filled
if they are available. Bulk copies of the Bridge Magazine are available for $1
each, in boxes of 100 only. For large shipments, postage must be pre-paid to the
Publications Dept., or a UPS or Federal Express account number must be provided.
Chapters must contact the Marketing/Circulation Manager.
• All submissions of story ideas for the magazine must come through the
Regional Publications Chair, who will submit them to the National Publications
Chair. Submission of a story does not guarantee publication.
• The National Chairperson and the National Executive Director must be
courtesy copied on all correspondence that relates to NSBE on a national level.
• In many cases, the National Executive Board and the National Advisory
Board need to be courtesy copied on correspondence/documents.
• All legal matters should be brought to the immediate attention of the
National Chairperson, National Executive Director, Corporate Counsel and
National Treasurer, unless otherwise noted. Copies of legal documents should be
sent to HQ for filing.
• All purchases/expenditures through the HQ should have prior authorization
from the National Treasurer, and should be in accordance with the National