Site hosted by Build your free website today!
4 May, 09 > 10 May, 09
30 Mar, 09 > 5 Apr, 09
16 Feb, 09 > 22 Feb, 09
9 Feb, 09 > 15 Feb, 09
19 Jan, 09 > 25 Jan, 09
12 Jan, 09 > 18 Jan, 09
29 Dec, 08 > 4 Jan, 09
15 Dec, 08 > 21 Dec, 08
8 Dec, 08 > 14 Dec, 08
24 Nov, 08 > 30 Nov, 08
3 Nov, 08 > 9 Nov, 08
22 Sep, 08 > 28 Sep, 08
8 Sep, 08 > 14 Sep, 08
1 Sep, 08 > 7 Sep, 08
4 Aug, 08 > 10 Aug, 08
28 Jul, 08 > 3 Aug, 08
21 Jul, 08 > 27 Jul, 08
7 Jul, 08 > 13 Jul, 08
26 May, 08 > 1 Jun, 08
12 May, 08 > 18 May, 08
28 Apr, 08 > 4 May, 08
14 Apr, 08 > 20 Apr, 08
10 Dec, 07 > 16 Dec, 07
3 Dec, 07 > 9 Dec, 07
26 Nov, 07 > 2 Dec, 07
12 Nov, 07 > 18 Nov, 07
5 Nov, 07 > 11 Nov, 07
29 Oct, 07 > 4 Nov, 07
15 Oct, 07 > 21 Oct, 07
8 Oct, 07 > 14 Oct, 07
24 Sep, 07 > 30 Sep, 07
17 Sep, 07 > 23 Sep, 07
27 Aug, 07 > 2 Sep, 07
13 Aug, 07 > 19 Aug, 07
30 Jul, 07 > 5 Aug, 07
9 Jul, 07 > 15 Jul, 07
2 Jul, 07 > 8 Jul, 07
25 Jun, 07 > 1 Jul, 07
18 Jun, 07 > 24 Jun, 07
4 Jun, 07 > 10 Jun, 07
16 Apr, 07 > 22 Apr, 07
2 Apr, 07 > 8 Apr, 07
26 Mar, 07 > 1 Apr, 07
12 Mar, 07 > 18 Mar, 07
5 Mar, 07 > 11 Mar, 07
26 Feb, 07 > 4 Mar, 07
12 Feb, 07 > 18 Feb, 07
5 Feb, 07 > 11 Feb, 07
29 Jan, 07 > 4 Feb, 07
22 Jan, 07 > 28 Jan, 07
15 Jan, 07 > 21 Jan, 07
8 Jan, 07 > 14 Jan, 07
18 Dec, 06 > 24 Dec, 06
11 Dec, 06 > 17 Dec, 06
4 Dec, 06 > 10 Dec, 06
27 Nov, 06 > 3 Dec, 06
6 Nov, 06 > 12 Nov, 06
30 Oct, 06 > 5 Nov, 06
23 Oct, 06 > 29 Oct, 06
16 Oct, 06 > 22 Oct, 06
9 Oct, 06 > 15 Oct, 06
25 Sep, 06 > 1 Oct, 06
11 Sep, 06 > 17 Sep, 06
4 Sep, 06 > 10 Sep, 06
28 Aug, 06 > 3 Sep, 06
21 Aug, 06 > 27 Aug, 06
14 Aug, 06 > 20 Aug, 06
7 Aug, 06 > 13 Aug, 06
31 Jul, 06 > 6 Aug, 06
24 Jul, 06 > 30 Jul, 06
17 Jul, 06 > 23 Jul, 06
10 Jul, 06 > 16 Jul, 06
3 Jul, 06 > 9 Jul, 06
26 Jun, 06 > 2 Jul, 06
5 Jun, 06 > 11 Jun, 06
29 May, 06 > 4 Jun, 06
15 May, 06 > 21 May, 06
8 May, 06 > 14 May, 06
24 Apr, 06 > 30 Apr, 06
10 Apr, 06 > 16 Apr, 06
3 Apr, 06 > 9 Apr, 06
27 Mar, 06 > 2 Apr, 06
20 Mar, 06 > 26 Mar, 06
6 Mar, 06 > 12 Mar, 06
27 Feb, 06 > 5 Mar, 06
20 Feb, 06 > 26 Feb, 06
13 Feb, 06 > 19 Feb, 06
30 Jan, 06 > 5 Feb, 06
23 Jan, 06 > 29 Jan, 06
16 Jan, 06 > 22 Jan, 06
9 Jan, 06 > 15 Jan, 06
2 Jan, 06 > 8 Jan, 06
19 Dec, 05 > 25 Dec, 05
12 Dec, 05 > 18 Dec, 05
5 Dec, 05 > 11 Dec, 05
21 Nov, 05 > 27 Nov, 05
24 Oct, 05 > 30 Oct, 05
17 Oct, 05 > 23 Oct, 05
10 Oct, 05 > 16 Oct, 05
3 Oct, 05 > 9 Oct, 05
26 Sep, 05 > 2 Oct, 05
12 Sep, 05 > 18 Sep, 05
29 Aug, 05 > 4 Sep, 05
22 Aug, 05 > 28 Aug, 05
15 Aug, 05 > 21 Aug, 05
1 Aug, 05 > 7 Aug, 05
25 Jul, 05 > 31 Jul, 05
18 Jul, 05 > 24 Jul, 05
11 Jul, 05 > 17 Jul, 05
4 Jul, 05 > 10 Jul, 05
27 Jun, 05 > 3 Jul, 05
20 Jun, 05 > 26 Jun, 05
13 Jun, 05 > 19 Jun, 05
6 Jun, 05 > 12 Jun, 05
23 May, 05 > 29 May, 05
16 May, 05 > 22 May, 05
9 May, 05 > 15 May, 05
2 May, 05 > 8 May, 05
25 Apr, 05 > 1 May, 05
18 Apr, 05 > 24 Apr, 05
11 Apr, 05 > 17 Apr, 05
4 Apr, 05 > 10 Apr, 05
28 Mar, 05 > 3 Apr, 05
21 Mar, 05 > 27 Mar, 05
14 Mar, 05 > 20 Mar, 05
7 Mar, 05 > 13 Mar, 05
28 Feb, 05 > 6 Mar, 05
21 Feb, 05 > 27 Feb, 05
14 Feb, 05 > 20 Feb, 05
7 Feb, 05 > 13 Feb, 05
31 Jan, 05 > 6 Feb, 05
24 Jan, 05 > 30 Jan, 05
17 Jan, 05 > 23 Jan, 05
10 Jan, 05 > 16 Jan, 05
3 Jan, 05 > 9 Jan, 05
20 Dec, 04 > 26 Dec, 04
13 Dec, 04 > 19 Dec, 04
29 Nov, 04 > 5 Dec, 04
22 Nov, 04 > 28 Nov, 04
15 Nov, 04 > 21 Nov, 04
8 Nov, 04 > 14 Nov, 04
1 Nov, 04 > 7 Nov, 04
25 Oct, 04 > 31 Oct, 04
18 Oct, 04 > 24 Oct, 04
11 Oct, 04 > 17 Oct, 04
4 Oct, 04 > 10 Oct, 04
27 Sep, 04 > 3 Oct, 04
20 Sep, 04 > 26 Sep, 04
13 Sep, 04 > 19 Sep, 04
6 Sep, 04 > 12 Sep, 04
30 Aug, 04 > 5 Sep, 04
23 Aug, 04 > 29 Aug, 04
16 Aug, 04 > 22 Aug, 04
9 Aug, 04 > 15 Aug, 04
2 Aug, 04 > 8 Aug, 04
26 Jul, 04 > 1 Aug, 04
12 Jul, 04 > 18 Jul, 04
5 Jul, 04 > 11 Jul, 04
28 Jun, 04 > 4 Jul, 04
21 Jun, 04 > 27 Jun, 04
14 Jun, 04 > 20 Jun, 04
7 Jun, 04 > 13 Jun, 04
31 May, 04 > 6 Jun, 04
24 May, 04 > 30 May, 04
17 May, 04 > 23 May, 04
10 May, 04 > 16 May, 04
29 Sep, 03 > 5 Oct, 03
22 Sep, 03 > 28 Sep, 03
15 Sep, 03 > 21 Sep, 03
8 Sep, 03 > 14 Sep, 03
1 Sep, 03 > 7 Sep, 03
25 Aug, 03 > 31 Aug, 03
18 Aug, 03 > 24 Aug, 03
11 Aug, 03 > 17 Aug, 03
4 Aug, 03 > 10 Aug, 03
28 Jul, 03 > 3 Aug, 03
14 Jul, 03 > 20 Jul, 03
7 Jul, 03 > 13 Jul, 03
30 Jun, 03 > 6 Jul, 03
23 Jun, 03 > 29 Jun, 03
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
Link Exchange
Talking Points Memo
Goooder's Blog

You are not logged in. Log in
Squared Sevens Blogging Corp.
Friday, 2 January 2009
Winter Vacation Update

My winter break in America is mostly through. So far, the goal was to be lazy and enjoy the luxurious American way of life, and I think that I have been able to do that so far.

Christmas in Ohio with the family was nice this year, but really short. For the first time in a while it seemed like everyone was able to get back together, which was definitely a good thing. We ate a lot of food of course, not even an ice storm could deter us from Olive Garden. I also got in most of my "fixes" such as Taco Bell (yes), Bojangles, and my favorite cereals. Of course, nothing can replace Mom's home cooking though.

A few more days to enjoy, and then another long, long series of flights and trains back. Great!

Posted by nc/frodaddy at 10:13 PM EST
Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 18 December 2008
Finishing Up
Getting ready to head on out again for another trans-Pacific journey. Got all my stuff packed and ready to go. Just a few more odds and ends to take care of then bright and early tomorrow morning.

Been looking forward to this. I hadn't noticed, I guess because I've gotten used to living here, but this past year has been the longest stretch of time that I've been away from the ol' homestead. So after not seeing everyone for a year, it will be very nice.

With all the bad news recently, it might not be the most merry of Christmases, but we'll sure try our best. This time of year only comes around once a year, so enjoy it while you can.

Finally, one more thing I want to mention. You know all of those company logo animations you see before movies, after TV shows, etc? Well, the internet's so deep, that sure enough there is a site totally dedicated to compiling all of them. The address is If you've got the time, check it out. It's a pretty good time waster. (My personal favorite? Probably Carolco's Neon light C logo. T2 baby!)

That's all. Have a happy and safe Holiday season!

Posted by nc/frodaddy at 9:05 AM EST
Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 14 December 2008
This and That
Getting ready to leave for America soon, but a couple of things that I wanted to mention.

First, let's talk about Japanese banks. A few things that you should know:

1.Business Hours. Japanese banks close for business at 3 pm. Don't be late? Obviously can be a pain if you have something to do during the day, a job for example.

2.Inkan. Your personal stamp that everyone uses in Japan. It's not good enough to have ID and a signature, you've got to have this stamp to prove that you are you. A leftover from the days when the shogun and daimyo would stamp everything, I imagine.  How do they know someone else doesn't have the same stamp? You register it at the town office, but that still doesn't seem to give me a lot of confidence. The counter argument is that signatures can be faked too, but...

3.Old ladies everywhere. The same as anywhere else in the country, but just so you know, cause there will probably be a little late.

So Friday, I had a bunch of classes and notebooks to check, and then a fire drill too, but I thought that I would be able to sneak in before 3 and take care of some business. Well, think again. Talking to the guy took enough time that we passed the deadline, plus I forgot my inkan stamp anyway, so it would have been a moot point regardless. So, back to the bank tomorrow! Might have to go before lunch to be sure that I can make it in time.

Next, the JLPT- how did it go? Good question. I went with a friend to the Kurume, the city where the test was being held. We left plenty early on Satuday, which was good because it was snowing and I forgot my test voucher as well. Along the way, we stopped at a pretty cool used goods shop, and I checked out some vintage used Nikes for $100 and more. Didn't buy any of those, but I did pick up a PS1 game that I had been searching for.

Then, on to the hotel in Kurume, which was pretty nice actually. We got some ramen for dinner, but it was so cold that walking around wasn't much fun at all. I got a nice nosebleed in the restaurant, which was fun too.

Got back to the hotel, cranked up the heat, and got to studying. Good thing too because one of the terms that we studied was actually on the test the very next day. Compared to my normal life, the hotel was luxurious- giant bed, fresh sheets, not having to walk outside to go take a shower- sweet.

Still, nervous about the test, so it was tough to get sleep. We got up and went to get a breakfast of champions at McDonald's. We went to the University by taxi, and settled in for the test. Turns out I was the only white guy in the class room, by far most of the people taking the test appeared to Chinese. Can't lie, it made me feel a little bit self-concious but I knew that I had to focus on the test.

So, how was the test? Kanji readings, my strong point, was mostly a breeze. Then, some vocabulary, which was pretty diffucult at parts, hopefully I got enough to squeeze by in that section. Next, listening. The first part was rather difficult, but it eased up in the second half. After a lunch break, a long reading comprehension section followed by grammar-related questions. The reading in the practice tests was a toss-up, sometimes it could be easier, or more difficult. This time, I'd say that was more on the difficult side, with a couple of tricky passages and questions. As for the grammar, that's far and away my weakness (in English as well), so I can only hope that I didn't screw it up too bad.

In the end, though, I'm staying cautiously optimistic that I did enough to pass. It's all multiple choice, and even if I didn't completely get the answer, I could make the old educated guess by eliminating a few of the options. As for the result, still gotta wait two months. Guess we'll see then!

Posted by nc/frodaddy at 9:04 AM EST
Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 30 November 2008
Status Update
I can't have Obama's election win as the top entry on the blog, he'll actually be president before I update again it would seem. So time to write about something else.

The students finished having their school festivals a few weeks ago. Every year, the kids put on plays, sing songs, do musical performances, have a charity bazaar or crafts and other such activities. It's a good chance for the kids to work on something other than just studying stuff all of the time. On the flipside, it can be pretty time consuming with all of the stuff that needs to be done, the preparations and cleaning up, etc. This year, a lot of the plays focused on serious topics, such as Minamata disease or discrimination, but a few managed to be a little more fun, like for example in one play a student was secretly a kappa (water imp) disguised as a human, leading to some humorous situations.

My car keeps messing up, again. It's old and is unreliable, but it works just enough to keep me from justyfing purchasing a different car for the reminaing few months that I plan to be here. Again, this time, I'm having problems with the radiator overheating, and it won't start either. Where I live though, I've gotta have that car. It would be great to live in a place where there was mass transit to speak of, but that just isn't the case. In the meantime, got to keep an eye on the car and call JAF (like AAA) to bail me out if there are any problems.

The big news is the JLPT, Japanese Language Proficiency Test, is finally coming up. I planned on taking it last year, but things didn't quite work out as planned and I actually spent the day going to watch sumo. Yeah. Truth is, I wouldn't have gotten close to passing it either. This year, I'm really going for it. Reading, listening, grammar, vocabulary, kanji recognition, a lot of fun stuff in there. The test I'm taking, Level 2, is pushing right up against the limits of my Japanese ability, so it's going to be a close call. But having a good challenge every now and then is a good thing especially if you want to improve on something.

The test this year is in Kurume, a few hours away by car, so we're going to stay there at a hotel overnight, get a good night's rest, and then get ready to go in the morning. No problems and no excuses is the goal.

Other than that, it's cold! A long way to go until springtime, that's for sure.

Posted by nc/frodaddy at 9:43 AM EST
Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 6 November 2008
The View From Japan

This year's election was unique in many ways, for myself, it was my first presidential election away from the US. Of course, I sent my ballot in by mail weeks ago, so there was no problem there. But I didn't really hear about the results until lunch time, when the principal told me Obama won Pennsylvania and Ohio, and I was like, well it's over then. Right after I finished lunch, the nets started calling the election for Obama. I spent the rest of the afternoon (no more classes) surfing the net for just about any information I could find, and checking out the crazy reaction and celebration scenes in Chicago. Some of the local JETs got together for an Obama party dinner, of course the local restaurant made lots of food and gave all of the dishes an Obama-styled name. Still, we really didn't talk about the election too much- I think there just wasn't much else to say, and most people were just glad that it was done and over with.

Well, generally there is a positive feeling over here about Obama. Almost all of the kids know about him and seem to like him. His speeches have been getting a lot of play time over here and have been getting a favorable response. In every news segment they are really bringing up the change theme every time. Obviously, it's successful if it translates all the way over here. I think Obama being President is an opportunity for the rest of the world to get involved or at least interested in America again, and I imagine this pattern is being followed elsewhere around the globe.

One of the teachers asked me if he thought things would change, and I replied that things already have, if a black dude was able to be elected president. I've been trying to explain the significance of the moment to my students, but Japanese people don't have as much of a history with slavery, struggle for civil rights, discrimination, etc. so I'm not sure if they can fully grasp the gravity of the situation. Still, it's a good chance to bring up American History and talk about how hopefully things have changed for the better. I no longer feel like I have to cringe when the topic of the President comes up, and I think that is a good thing.

Some co-workers have expressed surprise that Obama is so young, others have mentioned that they were impressed by the turnout and scale of the election. I forget the exact translation, but something along the lines of how strong American democracy is. Japanese folks don't directly elect the Prime Minister, so comparatively it must be a pretty big difference in feeling.

So again, there's this feeling of hope and reserved anticipation, there are plenty of challenges up ahead, but we've just got to stick together and see what happens. 

Posted by nc/frodaddy at 7:21 AM EST
Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 27 September 2008
Computer's Busted, Odds and Ends
My computer broke on me. I was minding my own business, watching Unleased starring Jet Li on DVD, and it suddenly shuts off. Power Outage? No, the lights and fan were still on. Not good. I try plugging it in to different outlets, checking out the cords, but no dice. Fortunately Ryan was to the rescue, he had Zack's old laptop laying around so I've been using that. Thanks guys.

The National Sports Games are almost here. Sort of like a national yearly olympics, it's a pretty bug production and this year is Oita's turn to host the games. There's a big opening ceremony at the "Big Eye" stadium and sports events will be held all over the prefecture. Locally, we've got Canoeing, Kendo, and Equestrian competitions; Ono is hosting some softball games so there has been a lot of work getting ready, and crews have been cleaning up and landscaping the town all week. Next Monday everyone from the middle school will go and check it out and cheer on the teams.

And I can't forget to mention Mejiron. Mejiron is the mascot of the Sports Games and is loved and adored throughout the land. Mejiron is a very round, very bright green bird that has been litterally everywhere in the Prefecture since I got here two years ago. Mejiron even has his own song. And what's great is, everyone from kids to old folks just loves Mejiron. Mejiron has become a real symbol of Oita and I wouldn't be surprised to see him sticking around even after the conclusion of the games.

Tuesday I went to Hita, a city in Oita that's actually much closer to Fukuoka. I was invited there by some students that I met at Yufuin Summer Seminar. Overall, things went well. Hita is a good smaller-sized city, there are things to do but it's not too big that you can't walk around. We checked out an old sake factory and went to one of the local shrine festivals. It was good to get out of town for a little bit and see some new things, and the kids were really great, trying out their English and being good guides.

Last week, one of my middle school students had her English speech contest. We had practiced that a lot and made a lot of improvements, but still I knew that the competition was going to be really tough. Well, two speakers before she was going to go on, this poor girl fainted right on stage after missing some lines and going over the time limit. Not a good sign, but Miyuki was tough and didn't let it get to her. She had a fairly good speech, unfortunately in areas such as intonation she made a lot of the same mistakes we had tried to eliminate previously. In the end she didn't win a prize but I think her English improved a lot and her self-confidence also increased as well, so I think that it was definitely worthwhile.

Posted by nc/frodaddy at 3:44 AM EDT
Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Saturday, 13 September 2008
Long Week
It's been a long week.

The fact that I'm writing this on a Saturday, and not a Friday, should tell you something. But let's get back to the beginning.

It all started on Monday, with great news actually. I get on the computer and see that the Panthers defeated the heavily-favored Chargers with a last minute touchdown by my man Jake Delhomme. It's a good start. But then Mr. Goto, the English teacher, is sick for the day, so we can't advance in the textbook, so I have to fill in and try to get the kids to do self-study (various notebooks and workbooks that they have to complete). Well, obviously some of the kids can't sit still for that long or just hate studying English, so they start goofing around, harrasing the other students, etc.  

After two class periods of that, it was feeling like a pretty long day, and in fact, I was thinking of "tomorrow" as Wednesday even though it was still just good ol' Monday. But it wasn't over yet, helping one of my students prepare for the English speech contest, and practicing the same speech over, and over, and over. On the plus side, she is really improving, so that is a bright spot.

On Tuesday, I had my conversation class, again with the 3nen seis, but the problem is they just won't conversate- it's very depressing trying to get these kids to talk, in an elective class where the whole point is to practice talking. But hey, I did get them into new assigned seats, and that seemed to help out a little bit. More speech practice in the afternoon.

Wednesday, it was time to practice for the Sports Day festival, so we did a run-through of almost all of the ceremonies and events, complete with lots of setting up and cleaning up, all in the nice hot outdoors.

Thursday, I was so tired that I could have slept the entire morning. And without any English classes, that's almost what I did. Trying to study Japanese, I would fall asleep at my desk. Now that happens quite often, but it seemed to be really bad that day. I was really incapable of doing anything. Fortunately, after lunch I got some of my wind back for more Sports Day preparation.

Friday, Mr. Goto was back at Ono, and the kids must have been in some kind of rotten mood, because they decided to be total jerks. Not listening, not paying attention, being disrespectful, etc. For everyone who might have told you that Japanese school kids are well behaved (including me possilby), don't believe it. More speech practice in the afternoon.

Well, the week's not over yet- Sports Day is all day Saturday. So, got to school bright and early, and was assigned the job of photographer. No big deal, so spent all day running around, trying to get the best shot. I also participated in one of the events, running a three-legged race with one of the students, as well as one of the little dances that the students did. It was all good fun, but enough to get you plenty tired, especially considering after all that you've got to clean up, take down all of the tents, etc. And this being Japan, there was a nomikai dinner afterwards, with plenty of drinking and socializing and whatnot, fortunately I managed to get out of there after too long, although some miscommunication meant that is cost me a $35 taxi ride back home (no, I didn't expect it to be that much).

So that was my really long week. Hope that you enjoyed it. Good news is, Monday is a holiday here. I will be looking forward to sleeping in.

Posted by nc/frodaddy at 8:56 AM EDT
Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Thursday, 4 September 2008
Long Summer Journal
Well, summer is over. School is back in session and some leaves are even beginning to fall from the trees. As this could have been my last free summer is Japan, I was determined to take advantage of various opportunities, so I was pretty busy but I managed to see and do a lot of cool stuff. The big theme was travel. As a result my wallet was feeling pretty light for a little bit there but when you are traveling in Japan that's the price you gotta pay. But overall it was what I needed- a chance to get out and stretch my legs a little bit, see some new places while I had the chance.

First was a two-day trip to Hiroshima and Miyajima. I had never been to Hiroshima before, but this time it was mostly a train stop for the Shinkansen while we were on the way to Miyajima. We did have enough time for lunch, where were had special Hiroshima Okonomiyake, which is kind of a vegetable-noodle-seafood-pancake, and very deliciousbut I burned my mouth eating it right off of the grill! Oops. After that, we made a brief detour to Iwakuni, where there is a Marine base, a famous five-arched wooden bridge, and a reconstructed castle on a mountain overlooking the town, accessible by ropeway. It was all fairly nice and well-done, but the extreme heat kept us from enjoying things too much. We definitely needed a stop for some soft-serve ice cream along the way, fortunately there was a specialty shop that sold, oh, about 40 kinds of soft serve, the most I've ever seen in one place.

From there, we drove a little bit and then took a ferry to Miyajima. Miyajima was long considered a sacred island by the Japanese, so the shrine and it's attendant torii gate were built over the water so as to keep people from stepping foot on the land. As a result, when the tide comes in, the shrine and torii appear to be floating on water, and it's spectacular to say the least. Well you can walk on the island now, but still it feels different- there are pine trees every where, a lack of concrete and cars, plenty of ancient sites, and also like Nara, there are sacred, tame deer roaming the island to add to the atmostphere.

After taking some pictures that evening, we stayed at a hotel on the island for the night. The next morning, it was back to the main torii gate and shrine, and this time with the tide in we got a really great view. After some more pictures, strolling around the island, and some shopping, it was once time to head back to Ono.

Then, after a brief break, it was on to the next stop, a summer Enlgish camp in Yufuin. Many of the local JETs participate in the three-day camp, doing group activities, skits, games, dances, art projects, etc. The big catch of course is that being an English camp, everyone has to use English all the time. This year's theme was the "Wild West" and everyone really played it up with cowboy hats, toy guns, etc. For the students, it's a good opportunity to use English with native speakers and get a break from the drag of everyday study, so typically it ends up being a lot of fun, but the non-stop nature of the camp can make it pretty tiring as well. Still, a good time, and because it's for high school students, I can talk with the kids at a little bit higher level than with the Junior High kids.

The next morning after I returned from Yufuin, bright and early at 5:15 AM, the next trip got started. This time, I went with the Chitose teachers to the island of Shikoku, Japan's smallest and most isolated major island. Shikoku has a different vibe, being much more rural andnatural feeling, and much, much less crowded than the rest of Japan, it was a nice break from the nonstop crowds one would find almost anywhere else. After a ferry and car ride, we stopped for lunch at some of Shikoku's famous Sanuki Udon noodles, which are just fantastic. But don't take it from me, take it from the wait lines staggered outside the doors of the most popular restaurants. Man, I could eat that stuff everyday. Then we went to visit a temple, Konpira-san, high in the mountains and only accessible by climbing hundreds of stairs, and that was great fun in the middle of August, let me tell you. Next, we checked out Takamatsu, one of the larger cities on the island, and after some souvenir shopping went back the next day.

Next was something that I had wanted to do for a very long time, to go watch the National High School Baseball tournament at Koshien Stadium near Osaka. High School baseball is a big, big deal here. The whole nation watches every year on NHK, many future stars make their first appearances here, and all of the schools reall get into supporting their team. It's every young baseball player's dream to appear, and the top players get lavished with attention by the media. Furthermore, being a single-elimination tournament, every game is do-or-die, and even for the players who aren't graduating, there's no guarantee they will win their prefectural tournament and advance again. So the stakes are very, very high. And there's the stadium itself, opened since the 1920's, host to Babe Ruth on his tour of Japan, feeling very traditional and aged, but also an intimate atmostphere as well- much more than the mega domes that are standard elsewhere in Japanese baseball. It seems big yet small at the same time, and you've still got to look out for seats blocked by support beams, just like Fenway. Open and yet full of tradition, it's a great place to take in a baseball game.

So how did the day turn out? Well, it was long. Four games in one day, about eleven hours total. I bought a free ticket along the thrid base line, which was good for all day. I bought a bento box with me, plus there was a KFC of all things in the stadium, so I had enough to eat. The big challenge was beating the heat. Being out in the relentless sun all day was just brutal. Unfortunately, the shaded seating areas were pretty limited and were taken up quickly. By the end of the second game, I was doing pretty rough, fortunately I found a shaded seat for the thrid and fourth games. There were some dull games, and some exciting games, and one where a team almost rallied from a seven-run deficit, but the best game was the last one. Yokohama High and Sendai Ikuei, two traditional powerhouses, took on each other in a defensive battle that entered the ninth inning tied 2 all. But Yokohama scored on a wild pitch in the top of the ninth and held on for the victory, leaving Ikuei to go home to Sendai in defeat. By the evening, the sun had gone down and the weather had cooled significantly, so I had moved down to near Sendai's dugout. After the end, the Sendai players did the traditional scooping of Koshien dirt to take home with them, crying and sobbing. Seeing the kids' emotion after that tough loss was simply shocking, you don't expect to see it from Japanese people and it doesn't convey on TV enough at all. That might the memory I take most with me from Koshien.

While I was still in Kansai, I took the advantage to check out some other sites that I wanted to see. First was Himeji Castle, a National Treasure and World Heritage site, one of Japan's finest castles and one of the few to survive the centuries in its original wooden form. It's an impressive structure and certainly picturesque, the various defense mechanisms designed to repel attackers are really devious. Also I went for a brief stop to Nara, home to both a massive Buddha temple and even more of the handout-seeking sacred deer. Additionally I made the mistake of going to the incredibly popular Osaka Kaiyukan Aquarium on a Sunday, where it was absolutely slam-packed with families out for the summer weekend. A 30-minute wait to get into an aquarium? You better believe it. By that time I was committed though, and while a few of the displyed animals were interesting, jostling with crowds the entire time made things difficult. Oh well. Plus, of course, a visit to Den Den Town, Osaka's electronics district, although I had exhausted much of my funds by that point.

So, in review, it was a very busy summer vacation, but one with plenty of good experiences and memories. For now, back to school, and trying to enjoy fall before it gets cold...

Posted by nc/frodaddy at 10:42 AM EDT
Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Monday, 4 August 2008
Summer Part 1 (more)
This past Friday and Saturday, I went with the Ono JHS teachers to Hiroshima, Miyajima, and Iwakuni, three spots close to each other located on Japan's tranquil Inland Sea. All in all, it took about three of four good hours to reach Hiroshima by train. I had some real excitement Friday morning as I overslept and then parked at the wrong spot near Inukai station, just barely making the train to Oita. If I had missed that one... it could have been real exciting. Anyway, we rode on the Shinkansen from Kokura to Hiroshima, which is always a treat. It's just a slick operation, and there were new N700 trainsets, so everything was sparking clean. On the way back, I got to see one of the few remaining original 0 series trainsets, which was interesting. Anyways, once we arrived in Hiroshima, it was lunchtime, so we scrambled into our rental cars and found an Okonomiyaki restaurant. Okonomiyaki is basically a pancake with all sorts of noodles, vegetables, meat, etc. with sauce on top, and Hiroshima's okonomiyaki is real famous, so it was a treat (but I burned my mouth eating it too fast).

Next, we split up into two groups, and even though it was extremely hot, I elected to go the outdoors route and check out Iwakuni, where there is a famous bridge called the Kintaikyo, made of five wood arches and allegedly without the use of nails. It's a real interesting piece of work, quite beautiful actually, although the irregularly sloped steps can be a little awkward to walk on. At the other end of the bridge was a nice park, followed by a cable car ride up the mountain to Iwakuni Castle. The castle itself is a concrete recreation and is really more of a museum, but it provided a nice view over the river and city. Then we stopped for some ice cream and headed to our next stop, the sacred island of Miyajima.

Miyajima is a special place. It's an island, and when you stop off of the ferry, it really feels like you've been transported somewhere else. The island is full of pine trees, there is a refreshing lack of concrete, and tame deer roam the streets (much like in Nara). And of course, there is the famous "Floating Torii" (gate) that appears to rise out of the water at high tide. When we got there, it was actually low tide, so you could walk out to the bay and get quite close to the Torii itself. It's really huge, fits the natural setting perfectly, and is definitely an incredible sight to behold. Then it was time to head back to the hotel for the standard onsen bath/enkai party/etc. But I was just glad for the air conditioning and the sleep.

The next morning after breakfast, we headed back to the Gate, except that this time the tide was practically full so we could see the Torii "rise" out of the water. Then, we went into Itsukushi Shrine, which is also built on stilts and seems to rise out of the water, it's also an incredible sight as well. The way the light reflected off of the water and onto the shrine was remarkable. After that, we checked out a couple of different sights and did some souvenier shopping, then back to the mainland for lunch, this time anago-meshi (grilled eel on rice).

With only a few hours left before the train, there wasn't enough time to properly see the city of Hiroshima, so we just went to an outlet center for shopping. By this time, I was pretty tired, so there wasn't much I could do about it either way! After we returned to Oita, there was the big yearly Tanabata festival with lots of dances, singing, and food, so I stuffed my junk into a locker and walked around for a couple of hours. I gotta say, that was the first time in Oita that I've been concerned by the crowds and number of people- definitely a huge turnout for the big festival. But I met with Zach's former student and her sister, which was nice, and watched an enkai performance. Then, it was time to head back home for real. Definitely a long couple of days and quite expensive but I would have to say that it was worth it.

Posted by nc/frodaddy at 11:01 AM EDT
Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post
Sunday, 3 August 2008
Summer Part 1!
The first part of summer has come to an end, and I've got a little break for a few days, so I'll think I'll write about what has happened so far. First of all, as mentioned previously, it's incredibly hot here. It's incredibly humid and the intensity of the sunlight is really extreme. You've definitely got to drink to keep your fluids up and it feels like you need to change shirts every few hours. Fortunately I suppose, there were a few days where clouds and storms developed, at least cooling things off a bit, although we got hit pretty hard by lightning last week and I thought for sure the power was going to go out. Well we managed to keep the power on and thereforet the airconditioning on, but it made things a little exciting there for an hour or so.

Some big news in town in the new ALTs that are coming in this year, two Americans in fact. I went along with some people from the board of education to greet them at the airport, and then we spent the next couple of days getting everything set up. There's certainly a lot to be taken care of, and of course the new folks still had to be tired from the flight and Tokyo orientation, and I remembered what it was like when I first moved here, so I was just glad to help. Besides, it was one less day spent sitting behind a desk in the teacher's room. Anyway, I enjoyed explaining about the town, and It was a real chance for me to practice my Japanese, as I helped translate with getting a bank account and cell phone. I know it was a big difference from when I came here two years ago, I could hardly understand much at all myself, but you certainly get a lot of practice with Japanese living here in the countryside. Zach also helped the new ALT in Inukai get everything set up, hopefully they will be in good shape from here on.

It wasn't all just helping out though, I did decide to get a new cell phone for myself. It's a global-themed phone, in that it has GSM for overseas use, all of the conversion calculations built in, predicitive English text, dictionaires, some audio voice-phrases, two different clocks so you can keep track of time in different time zones simutaneously, etc. It's very slick, with a brushed aluminum cover, slim profile, textured plastic, etc. One thing that it doesn't have in one seg TV capability, but that signal doesn't reach Ono anyway, so no big deal. Since I've been with au for two years, I got a break on the price of the phone, but still it wasn't free, yet my old one was getting chewed up and it was time for it to be replaced.

This past weekend was the first of my summer trips. I'll write about that tomorrow if I get the chance.

Posted by nc/frodaddy at 10:45 AM EDT
Post Comment | Permalink | Share This Post

Newer | Latest | Older