William Swank's Will
In the matter of the last will and testament of William Swank died July 25th, 1872.
Be it remembered that on this 25th day of July AD 1872, the last will and testament of William Swank late of Putnam County, Ohio deceased was produced in Court and offered for Probate. Joseph Osega and Joseph Wannemacher the subscribing witnesses to said will appeared in open court and on oath testified to the due execution of said will which said testimony was reduced(?) to writing and by them signed and filed oath said will and it appearing to said court by testimony that, said William Swank at the time of executing said will was of full age and sound mind and memory and not under any restraint. It is hereby ordered, that said will be and hereby is admitted to Probate and that the same together with the testimony be recorded.
Hetty Swank, widow of said decedent appeared in open court and her rights (unreadable)
the will and the law being explained to her by the court shew then and there made her election to take under the provisions of the law and on motion it is ordered that Joseph Wannemacher be appointed Administrator with the will accurred(?) of the estate of said William Swank deceased upon his giving bond in the sum of four thousand dollars conditioned according to the law with Joseph Osega and surities where upon said Joseph Wannemacher appeared in court and accepted said appointment and gave bond accordingly. It is further ordered that Joseph Osega, Sebastian Bradly and Arthur Harris appraise the personal property of said estate.
Which said will and the deposition of the witnesses to establish the same is in the bonds and figures (following).
In the name of the Benevolent Father of all. I William Swank of the township Monterey in the county of Putnam in the State of Ohio do make and publish this my last will and testament as follows:
1) I give my soul to God my Father in Jesus Christ, my body to the earth to be decently buried in a decent matter according to my desire, as for my outward estate I thus dispose the following:
2) I give to my dear wife, Hetty Swank all the household furniture which I may own at the time of my decease and one horse or mare and saddle, two cows, five sheep, six head of hogs which she may select and one hundred dollars in money and grain and hay for their support for one year.
3)I desire that all my debts shall be paid from my outstanding and that thirty acres of land situated in Section #22 Township one South R4 east Putnam County Ohio, the east part of the F1/2 of the Southwest quarter shall be sold for the same purpose.
All the rest of my property I divide as follows: 4) I give my sons Theodore and Nelson Swank six hundred (600) dollars each
5) I give my son John Adam Swank one hundred dollars
6) I give Gust Davis son of my daughter Christy Ann all of his part ten(10) dollars
7) I give my son Seth Tailor Swank two hundred dollars
8) I give my son Esra Swank two hundred dollars
9) my son Denun Swank received all of his part in full.
10) I give to my daughter Jenna Swank twenty four dollars.
11) I give to my daughter Sara Swank fifty dollars.
12) I give my daughter Hatty Catharine Swank twenty four dollars.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 3rd day of January 1872
William (X) Swank
Signed and acknowleged by William Swank as his last will and testament in our presence and signed by us in his presence.................Joseph Osega
The State of Ohio, Putnam County
We Joseph Osega and Joseph Wannemacher being duly sworn in open court this 25th day of July AD1872 depose and say that we were present at the execxution of the last will and testament of William Swank late of Putnam County Ohio deceased that we saw the said testator subscribe said will and heard him publish and declare the same to be his last will and testament and that the said William Swank at the time of executing said will was of full age and mind and memory and not under any rtetsraints and that we signed the same as witnesses at his request and in his presence and in the presence of each other.