Seattle and the surrounding area has a fair cross-section of organs representing various types of instruments from various eras. Much to my chagrin...none of our original, 19th-century tracker-action instruments or even the later tubular-pneumatic instruments survive intact.
Seattle was never blessed with a large number of tracker organs in the 19th century...since the city is only 150 years old now. There were many, MANY Kimball organs...all of which have been rebuilt beyond recognition or replaced.
We presently have instruments by such builders as Austin, Balcom and Vaughan, Bond, Bosch, Bosman, Casavant, Cook, Estey, Fisk, Flentrop, Fritts, Hook & Hastings, Kilgen, Kimball, Marceau & Assoc., Moller, Morton, Noack, Odell, Reuter, Rosales, Schlicker, Gebr. Spaeth, Vermeulen, Wicks, Willis and Wurlitzer. Of the larger national builders, we have never had a Schantz here...though they did some tonal work at Sand Point United Methodist. Sadly, we never had a Holtkamp or an Aeolian-Skinner. And of our two E.M. Skinners: one was moved to Bellingham and rebuilt beyond recognition, and the other was replaced and broken-up for parts.
We are, however, blessed to live in a region with several notable pipe organ builders...such as Paul Fritts in Parkland/Tacoma; Martin Pasi in Yelm; Richard Bond in Portland, OR.; and John Brombaugh in Eugene, OR.
Assembly of God Churches
Seattle First Baptist
W.W. Kimball, Opus ____, 19__, 36 voices, 37 stops, 38 ranks, 2305 pipes.
Balcom and Vaughan, Opus 619, 1956, __ voices, 41 stops, 41 ranks, 2516 pipes. Electrification & Rebuild
Balcom and Vaughan, Opus 619A, 1971, __ voices, 44 stops, 45 ranks, ____ pipes. "Additions"
The original organ was free-standing and encased with stencilled facade pipes. It operated by means of tubular-pneumatic action. The first Balcom and Vaughan rebuild was an electrification with additions and a new, III-man. Reuter console. The second Balcom and Vaughan was another enlargement.
Mt. Zion Baptist
Balcom and Vaughan, Opus 782, 1975, 24 voices, 39 stops, 32 ranks, 1861 pipes.
This active congregation has a well-renowned music program that features both Classical and Gospel music. The organ features an exposed Great and Pedal with an expressive Swell (left) and Choir (right). The organ also has one of the three Trompette-en-Chamades in the city.
This instrument sits atop a divider at the front of the church with the Great exposed and the Swell enclosed in a chamber to the left. Behind the divider is the chapel.
M.P. Moller, Opus 6908, 1940, II-manuals, 10 voices, 23 stops, 10 ranks, 737 pipes.
M.P. Moller, Opus 6908 A, 1976, II-manuals, 16 voices, 31 stops, 18 ranks, 1237 pipes. "Additions"
This instrument is installed in the rear gallery and is divided on either side of the rear window in matching cases. The added, exposed, Great division was cantilevered off the gallery rail directly behind the console.
This instrument is installed at the front, right side of the modern sanctuary. The Great and Pedal are exposed in a pleasing, asymmetrical display with the expressive Swell enclosed behind them.
M.P. Moller, Opus 9578, 1961, II-manuals, 13 voices, 21 stops, 16 ranks, 965 pipes.
M.P. Moller, Opus 9578 A, 198_, II-manuals, 15 voices, 23 stops, 19 ranks, 1124 pipes. "Additions"
This instrument is installed in the rear gallery and is divided on either side of the rear window atop pedestals. The Great and Pedal are exposed in a symmetrical display. The organ features the only "divided Swell" in the city - with both Swell I and Swell II divisions.
This wonderful instrument sits in the rear gallery on the rail of the contemporary brick church and speaks down the central axis of the nave.
It replaces a previous electro-pneumatic instrument of II-manuals and 13 ranks built by Reuter as their Opus 220 in 1926 for the previous ediface and moved to the present church with one addition by Balcom and Vaughan in 1961.
This instrument is installed on a cantilevered platform above the rear gallery with the expressive chambers behind. The organ features one of only three Trompette-en-Chamade stops in the city. The console has a somewhat peculiar layout. The project consultant, Carl Natelli, has the stops of each divison clustered together in families of tone, i.e., principals, flutes, strings, and reeds; rather than a traditional layout of: 16, 8, 8, 8, 4, 4, 2-2/3, 2, 1-3/5, III, 16, 8, 8, 4 for example.
St. Francis of Assisi
Balcom and Vaughan, Opus 732, 1965, II-manuals, 9 voices, 30 stops, 10 ranks, 641 pipes.
This instrument is installed in the rear gallery. It is largely chambered except for the polished tin and flamed copper pipes of the 8' Principal.
This venerable instrument occupies the rear gallery and spans its full width. It is the second oldest organ in its original home in Seattle. Over the years, chests have been releathered as age and use necessitated. The organ was necessarily cleaned several years ago after a fire. More recently, as a part of a Cathedral Renovation Program, the organ was mechanically overhauled by Marceau & Associates of Portland, OR. The console was refinished and retro-fitted with solid state components.
The original front organ was a II-manual, 18-rank Casavant built as that firms No. 1163 in 1926. It was housed in an elevated case with enclosed Great & Swell. It was playable from a IV-manual console which also controlled the rear gallery Hutchings Votey. The Casavant was removed and parted-out to make way for the new organ which was installed in 2000.
* * * * * * * * * *
Rosales Organ Builders, Inc., Opus __, 2000, 36 voices, 49 stops, 48 ranks, ____ pipes
The new Archbishop Thomes J. Murphy Millenium Organ is housed in three free-standing cases at the front of the Cathedral. It is a III-manual & pedal organ playable from a IV-manual console - which can also play the Hutchings-Votey in the rear gallery like its Casavant predecessor. It also retains 5 ranks from the previous instrument.
* * * * * * * * * *
Frans W.M. Bosman, Opus __, 19__, 1 voice, 1 stop, 3 ranks, ___ pipes.
This delightful medieval portativ was designed and built by Frans W.M. Bosman of Mosier, OR. It is used in processions and celebrations.
Christian Science Churches
First Church of Christ, Scientist
Austin Organ Co., Opus 354, 1911, III-manuals, 29 voices, 35 stops, 29 ranks, 1903 pipes.
G. Harold Keefer, Opus 3, 1959, III-manuals, 39 voices, 45 stops, 41 ranks, 2461 pipes. "Major Tonal Renovation & Additions"
This instrument is chambered at the front of the room behind a large facade of gold pipes - some of which were speaking before the rebuild.
Balcom and Vaughan Pipe Organs, Opus 693, 1962, II-manuals, 16 voices, 22 stops, 20 ranks, 1140 pipes.
This instrument is free-standing in the rear gallery with an asymmetrical display of pipes. The Swell chamber sits to the left side of the exposed Great and Pedal organs. Stop nomenclatures are in Dutch.
Schlicker, Opus ___, 1967, III-manuals, __ voices, 51 stops, 62 ranks, ____ pipes.
Marceau & Asociates, Opus __, 19__ "New Console"
The organ is installed in stacked chambers behind a screen at the front of the sanctuary. After the Marceau & Assoc. console was built and installed, extensive tonal regulation, refinishing, raising of some wind pressures, and tonal changes were made by _________________________.
This little instrument is free-standing and encased with an attached, projecting keydesk. All the manual stops are divided into Bass and Treble halves.
W.W. Kimball, Opus ___, 1914, III-manuals, __ voices, 29 stops, 27 ranks, 1971 pipes.
Arthur D. Longmore, Opus __, 1917. "Installation Here"
This instrument was originally built for a theatre in Seattle. It was moved to this ediface in 1917 by Kimball Rep. Arthur D. Longmore and installed without tonal changes. The church was known as Swedish Tabernacle at that time, and later changed its name to Mission Covenant
Balcom and Vaughan, Opus 466, 1942, III-manuals, 32 voices, 36 stops, 33 ranks, 2141 pipes. "Electrification with Tonal Changes"
Balcom and Vaughan Pipe Organs, Opus 744, 1965, III-manuals, 30 voices, 35 stops, 35 ranks, 2___ pipes. "Additions & New Console"
Balcom and Vaughan Pipe Organs, Inc., Opus 867, 1985, III-manuals, 34 voices, 46 stops, 43 ranks, 2501 pipes. "Essentally New Organ"
This was the congregation's first pipe organ. It was recessed into the side wall of the chancel. It had a quarter-sawn oak case with 21 gold-painted facade pipes which likely included the first 17 of the Great 8' Open Diapason. The keydesk was attached and projecting.
Paul Fritts & Co., Opus 19, 1999, 26 voices, 24 stops, 36 ranks, ____ pipes.
This wonderful instrument sits at the front of the church at chancel level and speaks down the central axis of the nave. The organ is free-standing and encased, and the keydesk is attached and projecting.
It replaces a previous electro-pneumatic instrument built by Aeolian as their Opus 1518 in 1923, and later enlarged by Balcom and Vaughan.
This noteworthy instrument sits in the rear gallery against the back wall with the Ruckpositiv case on the rail, and speaks down the central axis of the nave. The keydesk is attached and slightly recessed into the case. It was the 2nd tracker-action instrument to be installed in Seattle after the Organ Reform Movement was begun in this country. It was a landmark installation and was dedicated by E. Power Biggs. In recent years, it has had some tonal additions to the Hoovdwerk (Great) and Pedaal (Pedal) by Paul Fritts. The action was also converted to a suspended key action during this renovation with additions.
It replaced a III-manual, W.W. Kimball originally built in 1902 for the previous ediface. It was moved to the Cathedral and installed behind wooden grilles in the front, left corner. The Kimball had 33 voices, 34 stops, 33 ranks, and ____ pipes.
Paul Fritts & Co. Opus 23, 2002, 18 voices, __ stops, __ ranks, _____ pipes.
St. Stephen's Episcopal
Bond Opus 23,1994 33 voices, 36 stops, 44 ranks, 2258 pipes.
This newer Bond organ on the Seattle scene is free-standing and encased, but uniquely designed as a part of a wooden screen which spans the front of the church. The console is detached.
It replaces a III-manual, 14-rank, 41-stop Wicks, Opus 3688, 1958 which was deeply chambered in the roof of the left transept and had many prepared-for stops.
Paul Fritts & Co., Opus 6, 1987 __ voices, 29 stops, __ ranks, ____ pipes.
The organ is free-standing and encased with a projecting keydesk. It stands at the front of the church and speaks down the central axis of the sanctuary. This is the congregation's third pipe organ.
The previous organ was a III-manual, electro-pneumatic instrument that was originally built by Estey for a church in Santa Ana, CA., then rebuilt by M.P. Moller. It was installed here by Balcom and Vaughan in 1954 as their opus 613. The organ had 22 ranks.
The congregation's first pipe organ was a W.W. Kimball, Opus ____, 19__. It was a II-manual & pedal instrument with 14 voices, 14 stops, 14 ranks and 792 pipes.
The organ occupies most of the projecting, rear balcony. It's handsome, Holtkamp-style display of unenclosed pipes is visually striking in the room. The Great has a unique and commanding 8' Trompeta Real which is the only solid brass trumpet stop in the State of Washington. This is the congregation's second pipe organ.
The former church - now the chapel - houses a small, II-manual & pedal, electro-pneumatic instrument built by Balcom and Vaughan in 1951 as their Opus 500. It has 5 voices, 29 stops, 5 ranks, and 353 pipes.
Despite having some very nice ranks, and a versatile stoplist, it was never highly successful. It was removed by Wicks Rep. Philip A. Larson of Spokane and is in storage awaiting rebuilding and installation in a Lutheran church in Spokane.
* * * * * * * * * *
Reuter Organ Co., Opus 2196, 2000, 70 voices, 125 stops, 93 ranks, ____ pipes.
This grandiose IV-manual organ boasts being the largest organ in the State of Washington. And it is prepared to be expanded to 104 ranks!
Seventh-Day Adventist Churches
University Unitarian Universalist
Olympic Organ Builders, Opus 7, 1969, II-manuals, 15 voices, 15 stops, 21 ranks, 1080 pipes.
The organ is free-standing and encased in an elevated gallery at the rear, left side of the room. The keydesk is attached and projecting.
University of Washington, Kane Hall, Walker-Ames Room
Paul Fritts Co., Opus 9, 1990, __ voices, __ stops, __ ranks, ____ pipes.
The organ is free-standing and encased with an attached, projecting keydesk.