Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Chapter 11: A Secret Revealed

Climbing down the junk heap took longer for the foursome than it normally would.  Jemima, who would usually hop and bounce her way down, forced herself to go much slower.  The three toms understood her apprehension and positioned themselves around her, so if she lost her footing one of them could easily catch her.  The four continued to walk in silence; each absorbed in his or her own thoughts.  Jemima was so busy thinking about the past few days that she wasn’t thinking about where she was putting her feet.  She suddenly lost her balance as a shiny tin can slid out from under her foot.  She cried out in panic and her arms flailed at her sides for a few seconds, but she was swiftly lifted into the strong arms of Mungojerrie.  He carried her the rest of the way down the junk heap, her face nuzzling his neck in a show of gratitude.

As they reached the bottom, Mungo set Jemima back down on the steady ground of the Junkyard.  

“Do you think he will let the two of you be mates?” Tugger asked, the one question they had all been thinking.

Jemima and Mungojerrie both looked crestfallen for a few moments, both realising at the same time that they may not be able to share their lives together within their tribe.  Simultaneously they looked to Munkustrap to see if he had an answer.

“Ummmmmmm…I’m sure he will.” Munkustrap answered quietly, doubt thick in his voice.  To tell the truth, he really wasn’t sure how his father would react to this news.  There had been unplanned pregnancies within the tribe, but they had always been the result of rape, or the queen was much older.  Munkustrap turned to look at Jemima.  She had just turned one a few weeks ago, just barely out of kitten hood.  Her pretty face still held that look of playfulness, and innocence.  Innocence that had been taken from her by the tom walking beside her.  And now she was carrying his kittens.  It was almost too much for him to fathom.  It seemed only days ago when Jemima would wake up early in the morning, and pounce him and her mother awake.  Now she would no longer share the Old Ford with them.  She would be living on Victoria Grove, with her mate and kittens.

The three other cats noticed the doubt in his voice, but none of them wanted to think about it.  Up until that moment, Jemima had never thought that she and Mungo wouldn’t be allowed to be mates.  When she heard the doubt in Munkustrap’s voice she wanted to start crying.  What would the tribe do to her and Mungojerrie when they found out that her and Mungo had mated before becoming official mates?  They would probably be exiled and have to live on the streets.  In her whole year living in the Junkyard, a situation like this one had never occurred.  As far as Jemima knew it had never happened in the history of the Jellicle tribe.  Mungo seemed to notice the anguished look on her face because he clasped her hand in his own and pressed a quick kiss to her temple before they continued walking.

The sun was slowly rising above the horizon.  With it, it brought the same color and intensity as it did the day this story began, but today the colors weren’t exhilarating and the sign of a wonderful day.  Jemima in fact hardly noticed the display of beautiful colors and continued walking.  By this time they four cats had made it to the Vicarage Wall where Old Deuteronomy spent most of his days, basking lazily in the sun.  Mungojerrie and Jemima slowed down quite a bit and let Tugger and Munkustrap go ahead of them towards the old cat.

“Father, we have something very important to discuss with you.” Munkustrap said.

Old Deuteronomy looked startled at the sudden company, but the look of shock quickly turned into a pleasant smile on his kind face.

“Hello Munkustrap, Tugger, Mungojerrie, Jemima.” Old Deuteronomy said, smiling at each cat in turn.  “How are all of you this glorious morning?”

“We’re fine, father.” Munkustrap answered for all the cats, “but as I said before we have something very important to discuss.”

“Oh, yes.  What can I help you with?” Deut asked pleasantly.

“Well……” Munku said, unsure of where to start, or even what to say.  He turned to look at Mungo and Jemima hoping one of them would pipe in to tell their own story.  Deuteronomy followed his gaze and looked expectantly at the two younger cats.

The hairs on Mungo’s neck stood up when he realised that the two older toms were staring at him and Jemima.  He gently nudged Jemima who was looking at the ground to get her attention.  She first looked at Mungojerrie and then at the three other toms, a look of total mortification on her face.

“Jemima, is there something you would like to tell me?” Deuteronomy asked quietly.

Jemima’s previous look of mortification was now replaced by one of extreme fear when Deuteronomy asked her that question.  How was she going to tell the Jellicle leader, one of the cats that she respected the most that she had disgraced the entire tribe?

“Well…Ummmmmmm.” Jemima stuttered.  Her face growing redder and redder, as she got steadily closer to the brink of tears.  She looked helplessly at Mungo, wishing the earth would open up and swallow her.  Mungo could easily sense her discomfort, and couldn’t stand to see her in so much pain.  He took a quick step closer to her and wrapped his arms around her round belly.

“Sir,” Mungo began, “What Munkustrap and Jemima have been trying to tell you is that Jemima is carrying kittens.  My kittens.”

“Oh!” said Old Deuteronomy; the look of confusion on his face quickly became a look of understanding.  “I see.” He said more to himself than anyone else.

“Well, let’s see what we can do about this certain predicament.

To be continued.  Sorry!!!! SOOOOOO SOORRRRRY for another cliffhanger.  I promise that chapter 12  will completely end this whole situation, so Mungo, Jemima, and their kittens can start their happy lives together.  I am thinking about starting a new story very soon.  So look for it!  I’m not sure what it will be about, so if you have any ideas please tell me!!!  It would be soooooo helpful.  As always I love reviews and I will send you some candy if you review this here story!!!!

Part 1.
Part 2.
Part 3.
Part 4.
Part 5.
Part 6.
Part 7.
Part 8.
Part 9.
Part 10.

Back to Fan Fiction
Back to Teazer and Vicki's Jellicle Junkyard