Slow-Cooked Beef Stew
Preheat the oven to 275° F.
In a large mixing bowl combine the beef with all the vegetables. Season with the garlic, celery seeds, thyme, salt and pepper.
In a small bowl whisk together the V08 juice, wine, mustard, brown sugar, and tapioca, making sure to dissolve the sugar and tapioca. Add this mixture to the meat and vegetables; stir well to blend.
Transfer the stew to a Dutch oven or large casserole. Cover lightly and cook 5 hours without peeking or disturbing. Serve at once or refrigerate overnight and reheat the next day.
2 1/2 pounds lean beef stew beef, cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 12 ounces baby carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 small onions, (about 2 inches in diameter), peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups V-8 juice
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
Makes 6 servings.