- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 can (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) chopped chicken livers
- 6 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup skim or low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
In medium saucepan, stir together rice and tomatoes. Bring to boiling. Cover and cook
over low heat until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
In skillet over medium heat, cook chicken livers in 1 tablespoon of butter until tender
but not brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Beat 1 egg. Stir in cooked rice and livers. Press mixture
onto bottom and up sides of greased 9-inch pie plate, forming thick edge around rim. In
same skillet cook celery, green pepper, and onion in remaining butter until tender, 3 to 5
minutes. Sprinkle into rice crust. Beat together remaining eggs, milk, and seasonings.
Pour over vegetables. Bake in preheated 375ºF oven until knife inserted near center comes
out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.