Baptism of Jesus
At the age of thirty years, Jesus began his public ministry. He walked sixty miles from Nazareth in Galilee to Bethabara, where He was baptized in the river Jordan. At first John hesitated to perform the act, feeling his unworthiness, but when informed that it was necessary to fulfill all righteousness, he yielded and buried Him in its liquid bosom.
It was sealed with the Father's approval and the Spirit's appearance in the semblance of a dove, and thus honored with the revealed presence of the three persons of the triune God--the only time in the world's history. Baptism is a personal duty and a primary rite in the church.
1. Where was Jesus baptized? Answer: John 1:28
2. Why did John baptize with water? Answer: John 1:31
3. From what place did Jesus come to be baptized? Answer: Matthew 3:13
4. In what river was Jesus baptized? Answer: Mark 1:9
5. What did Jesus say He must be baptized for? Answer: Matthew 3:15
6. Was Jesus baptized in the water? Answer: Mark 1:9
7. What opened above the scene? Answer: Matthew 3:16
8. Who offered prayer in the ceremony? Answer: Luke 3:21
9. Who descended
from heaven in the form of a dove and lighted on Jesus?
Answer: Luke 3:22
10. What announcement did John make to the multitude? Answer: John 1:29
11. With what did Jesus baptize? Answer: John 1:33
12. Is baptism a permanent rite? Answer: Matthew 28:19
13. Is baptism a personal duty with every believer? Answer: Acts 8:37
[Answers] [top of page] [Home]
Answers to Bible Study Questions (highlighted in green)
1. John 1:28 These things were done in Bethabara beyond Jordan, where John was baptizing.
2. John 1:31 And I knew him not: but that he should
be made manifest to Israel, therefore am
I come baptizing with water. (John 1:33 says, ...he that sent me to baptize with water.)
3. Matthew 3:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
4. Mark 1:9 And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus
came from Nazareth of Galilee, and
was baptized of John in Jordan.
5. Matthew 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him,
it to be so now: for thus it
becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. (It symbolized the resurrection,
which completes all righteousness)
6. Mark 1:9 And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus
came from Nazareth of Galilee, and
was baptized of John in Jordan. (Yes)
7. Matthew 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up
straightway out of the water: and,
lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove,
and lighting upon him.
8. Luke 3:21 Now when all the people were baptized, it came
to pass, that Jesus also being
baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened.
9. Luke 3:22 And the Holy Ghost
descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a
voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
10. John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and
saith, Behold the Lamb of
God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
11. John 1:33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to
baptize with water, the same said
unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is
he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
12. Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach
all nations, baptizing them in the name of the
Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. (If you read on down through verse 20, you
will see that it says,...I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.) (Yes)
13. Acts 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest
will all thine heart, thou mayest. And he
answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. (Yes)
[top of page]