By Marion Sargent
Launceston is an attractive city located on the Tamar River in northern Tasmania. The population in 1891 was 17,208 and by 1911 had risen to 20,754. This flourishing city boasted a grand new museum, post office and the Albert Hall, all completed in 1891. In this year also the Mechanics' Institute became the Launceston Public Library. This progressive city was home to the Sargent family for 21 years.
Sargent residences and businesses in
1890-1893 205 Wellington St (house and fruit shop) now Toddle Inn
1892-1893 68 Frankland St (house)
1894-1895 200 Charles St (grocery shop) now Coles Supermarket carpark
1896-1897 160 Bathust St (house and shop)
1898-1900 "Worthing" 8 Welman St (house)
1902-1903 27 Esplanade (planing and moulding mills)
1900-1904 9 French St (house)
1905-1906 52 Lyttelton St (house)
1906 169 St John St (house)
1909-1910 193 George St (house)
George Newton Sargent built the following houses in Launceston:
1899 66 Wellington St, owner William A. Brown (demolished)
1900 34 Abbott St, owner W. Thurman
1901 16 Stone St, owner F. Rawson
1902 14 Keane St, owners G.N. Sargent and G. Bennett
1902 12 Mulgrave St, owner T.L. Laurence
1902 16 Portland St, owner P.Pike (demolished)
G.N.Sargent also built a bedroom for the night nurse at the Launceston Homoeopathic Hospital, 172 St John St, Launceston in 1901. It was a weatherboard building with brick foundations, and had just one room 15 by 12 feet with one window and door. The price of construction was 45 pounds. It has been demolished.
Nov 1890-Jan 1899 "Ashfield", St Leonards
Charles Dodgshun (Ruth's father):
1889-1891/92 "Victoria Terrace", 7 Welman St
1892-1900 "Mellerstane", Abbott St (between David and Campbell Streets)
Joseph Dodgshun junior (Ruth's uncle):
1894/95-1899 11 Stewart St
The Dodgshuns were wholesale clothing manufacturers and warehousemen supplying the trade with soft goods, general fancy goods, boots and shoes, clothing, artificial flowers and wigs. They were also wool buyers.
From about 1881 the Dodgshun companies had warehouses and factories at various locations in York Street. The 1896/97 Tasmanian Post Office Directory has internal and external photographs of their warehouse at 91-93 York Street, which has since been demolished.