Children of Jimmy and Mary Byrne
1. James Henry Byrne 1867-1930 aged 63
2. Frederick Burgess Byrne 1868-
3. Margaret Amelia Simpson nee Byrne 1869-1892 aged 23 years
4. John Douglass Byrne 1872-
5. Edward Byrne 1877-1953 aged 76
6. George William Byrne 1879-1959 aged 81
7. Mary Jane Henman nee Byrne 1881
8. Alan Alfred Byrne 1884-1953 aged 69
9. Walter Byrne 1886-1945 aged 58
10. Herbert Byrne 1886-1917 aged 31
11. Hannah Byrne 1889-1920 aged 31
1. James Henry Byrne 1867 - 1930
Born Harrow (8544 or 603), and his occupation was a Contractor.
He married Rosalie Hetta Franke in 1911 in Horsham (6418). Rosalie was born 1890 (35024) in Nhill and was the daugher of Heinrich Wilhel Franke and Anna Hetta Hoffman. She died 1943 in Prahran Vic (6225). James died 1930 Natimuk aged 63 (6738).
i. Avis Viola Franke/Byrne (Mrs McAlister) born 1910 in Ballaarat (24525) and died 1969 in St Kilda. James was not her father - he and Rosalie married after Avis birth.
ii. Raymond James born on the 14th April 1914 Horsham. His occupation was butcher. He married Ethel Sutcliffe on the 20th June 1942 in Maffra. Ethel was born 11th Aug 1921 in Melbourne, the daughter of John Henry Sutcliffe and Ethel Edward. Raymond died 8th April 1981 at Box Hill (07855) and is buried at Springvale. Their children:
1. John Raymond b 26th Feb 1947 at Carlton, occupation Clerk of Courts. Died 28th Feb 1965 in Melbourne, buried at Springvale Crematorium. A tragic coincidence occurred with this John and Johnny, son of Jack Byrne and Kathleen Eason. Ethel and Kathleen were in the same maternity ward and they eventually worked out they were related. Johnny died in 1951 in a car accident and John Raymond died when he took the car for a drive when he turned 18.
2. Janine Susan b 26th Sept 1949. Occupation Shoe Buyer.
Married Laurence Lenard Bester on 5th May 1965 at Monash University iin Melbourne. Laurence was born 18th Dec 1948 in Melbourne, the son of Lenard Leslie Bester and Audrey Mary Turnbull. His occupation is School Principal. Their children are Adam John b. 22nd March 1975, Melbourne Victoria St Andrews Hospital, occupation Student - Research, Lucas Aaron born 3rd August 1977, Melbourne St Andrews Hospital, occupation Teacher and James Edward born 27th Dec 1980, Casterton Victoria, occupation Student.
iii. Mick (Keith Douglas) born in 1917. Horsham. Occupation Farmer.
He married Muriel Doris Collier, occupation Farmer. I am told that her mother Ina nee Springs was the sister of James Henry Byrne, but have not confirmed this. Mick died 1958 at Fitzroy in Melbourne (5054) while attending an Anzac march. He was aged 40. Children:
1. Douglas b 4th Jan 1945, d 1984 age 39 (ref 09525). His occupation was Farmer and he married Maxine McIntosh. There are 2 children Amanda b 1971 in Melbourne, a Graphic Designer and Nicole b 1974 in Melbourne, a Nurse. Douglas died 8th April 1984 at Winton, Vic
2. Graham b June 1951, occupation Stadium Manager. He is married with a daughter Georgina.
2. Frederick Burgess Byrne 1868
Frederick was born Pine Hill Harrow in 1868 and moved to Western Australia. He married Mary Ann Gurney in York, WA, 23rd Sept 1902 at the age of 32. Molly was 18. Not much is known about this family. There was apparently some scandal in Molly's family when her grandmother changed her surname before her wedding day. The new surname matched that of her mother's (first) husband, who was supposedly not her father according to her birth certificate. There were also stories of convicts in the family.
3. Margaret Amelia 1869 - 1892
Born Pine Hill Harrow in 1869 and married Walter Simpson 1892 (6118). She died in 1892 aged 23.
4. John Douglass Byrne 1872
Born Harrow in 1872 (2905)
5. Edward Byrne 1877 - 1953
Born Harrow (3023) and married Elizabeth Darley 1899 ( 6545). Died in Ouyen age 76. Elizabeth c 1902 -1932 died Mildura age 34. Children not necessarily in correct order:
2. Clarice Laurel Annette , married to Smith. Deceased. Known child:
1. Valda Patricia, married to Edward William Kennedy
3. Ron dec
6. Beryl dec
8. Leonard Richard James c 1914, married Cathy. Died 24th July 1971 Melbourne. Their children:
10. Rex, married Alice
6. George William Byrne 1879 - 1959
Born Harrow (3218), married Annie McKenzie in 1904 and died Rainbow in 1959. Annie died 1956 Horsham. Read more.
1. Charles Lawrence
2. Norma (Doris Norma)
3. Doreen (Iris Doreen)
4. Len (George Leonard)
5. Sylvia Roselie
6. Olive Laureen
7. Roma McKenzie
8. Jack James
9. Thora May
10. Fay (Shirley Fay)
11. Lois (Valerie Lois)
7. Mary Jane Henman nee Byrne 1881-
Born in 1881 at Harrow (170520, married Alfred Henman in 1902 (6281).
Gravestone of Alfred and Mary Jane at Rainbow
Alfred Henman pictured at the Hopevale Rifle Club in 1906.
8. Allan Alfred Byrne 1884 - 1953
Born at Gymbowen in 1884. He married in 1909 to Jinnie Ethel Ellis (1890-1971 ) at Kenmare West, and died at Ouyen age 69 in 1953. Children:
1. Stanley Frederick was born at Hopetoun in 1909and died in Sydney in 1968, aged 57
2. Daphne Lillian Jean was born at Hopetoun in 1911 and died at Ouyen
3. Herbert Reginald Garnet (known as Jim) was born in 1912 at Hopetoun and died at Oyen in 1989, aged 77
4. Allan Albert Deverne was born at Hopetoun in 1914 and died at Ballarat in 1976, aged 62
5. Walter Leo Vallery was born at Kenmare in 1916 and died at Williamstown, Melbourne in 1978 Williamstown, aged 62.
6. Laurel Lorna Enita was born in.1918 and in at Oyen in 1968, aged 50
7. Dorathy Mavis Lorraine was born at Manangatang in 1926 and died at Adelaid in 2000, aged 74
9. Watty (Walter) Byrne 1886 - 1945
Walter was born in 1886, the eldest of twins (see Herbert, below) at Karnak (according to his war records, Walter was born at Gymbowen, in the Parish of Kopwu, County of Lowan). Walter was 5 ft 9 inches tall, with a dark complexion, black hair, blue eyes and was dentally fit (from his war records). He worked as a farm labourer and was of CE religion. He played football for Yaapeet, Rainbow and Hopetoun. He won a medal in1910 for Best Ruckman at the Yaapeet Football Club. It was presented to him by S. Fisher & G. Smith. On 27th October 1915, at the age of 27 years,
Walter embarked on the Ulysses to serve in France with the 23rd Battalion. During the war he also served with the 65th battalion. He suffered Trench Feet in 1916 and was sent to England to recover. His brother George wrote a letter at this time, as the family was concerned about him. At the end of the war, in 1919, he was repatriated to Pt Macquarie and discharged. He was awarded the Star and Victory medals.
In 1920 he married Mary Jane Mitchell.
- James Drysdale was born in 1924 and died 6 weeks of age
- Olive Joy was born in 1928 and married Samuel Ian Anderson. She died in in 2001
- Mary June was born in 1929and married James Douglas Gallacher
- Patricia Joan Overall was born in 1937 at Kaniva. She was the seventh child of William (Bill) and Alice Overall. At the age of 3 ½ months her mother died. Joan was then taken care of by her Auntie Mary (sister of birth mother) and Uncle Walter who later adopted her in 1940. She married Morris Graham Haeusler
Watty died at Hopetoun, aged 58, in 1945.
Mary Jane Byrne nee Mitchell Walter Byrne
10. Pte Herbert Byrne 1886 - 1917
Herbert was Born Karn/Gymbowen ( 27159) in 1886, a twin to Walter.
In 1917 Herbert embarked on the "Ascanius" as a member of the 39th Battalion 3rd Division. He survived 3 gassings and 2 woundings before being killed action at Belgium on the 22nd November 1917 age 31. He is buried at Berks Cemetery Ploegsteert.
The Rainbow Argus carried the memorial:
"In loving memory of out dear son and brother, Pte Herbert Byrne, 39th Batt, killed in action in France Nov 22 1917.
We read his cheery letters
Written where bullets fly
Though it's hard to realise it
He has left the firing line
He has crossed the great horizen
Eternity's great span
He has earned the crowning glory
Of a soldier and a Man".
11. Hannah Byrne 1889 - 1920
Born 1889 in Gymbowen (12911) and died 1st October 1920 at Rainbow age 31, from heart trouble. The grave inscription is:
Loving Memory of
Dearly beloved daughter of
J and M Byrne
Who died 1 Oct 1920
Aged 31 Years
"Safe in the arms of Jesus"