Disclaimer: I don't own LOTR....Wow, I haven't said that before.

"Nimbus and Legolas"
by Trunks's Gal

Chapter Ten


        Arwen walked silently with the group. She didn't speak, and no one was surprised. Nimbus completely understood how Arwen felt: when she thought she had lost Legolas, she felt that life was no longer worth living. Poor Arwen, she had to live without Aragorn forever, and Nimbus had Legolas back. It seemed as though nothing good would ever happen again. Once you were down now, there was no getting back up. These times were hard on everyone involved, and everyone was involved.
        Legolas watched Nimbus with keen eyes. He was not going to let Luniar or anyone else lay an evil hand on her again. She was already in enough pain with her shoulder. Legolas felt the urge to put his arm around her, but didn't want to seem forward. There was something about Nimbus that drew him closer and closer to her everyday. It was as if he was under a spell. Not a witches spell, but a love spell that could only be cast by a goddess. A goddess of wisdom and beauty. And that goddess was Nimbus, at least, to Legolas it was Nimbus.
        Nimbus felt a throbbing pain in her shoulder, but she ignored it. At this point in time, she only cared about one thing, and that was Legolas. She didn't want to lose Legolas, not now, not after she had been threw so much. It wasn't worth it to lose him, she would rather lose her own life. Now she understood. She finally understood how her father felt about her mother, and how people in love always seem so happy.
        Gimli watched everyone with the eyes of a father. Something about Nimbus's eagerness made him think that she would get into trouble: whether it was with Legolas or not. He didn't want this girl to have a horrible life. Sometimes she seemed so trusting, and others, so blind. Did she really not see the danger in half the things she did? Could she not understand that life was not a toy?
        At that minute, Nimbus's eyes caught Gimli's, and for a split second, he knew. He knew what flashed threw her mind, and he knew that she would be okay. In silence, she was yelling at the top of her lungs, and in speech, she was quiet. Nimbus was mysterious, and Legolas was the only one who could understand her. Like a threat in a different language, it was only a threat to those who did not understand.
        Arwen took a jealous glance at the group. They looked like family. Legolas and Nimbus, the happy couple, and Gimli, the nervous father. Who was Arwen? Where did she belong in this group? The jealous neighbor? Or maybe the annoying sister who ran away and just came back. She felt out of place and alone. There was no place for her in this happy family.
        A twig snapped beneath Nimbus's feet. She jumped a little, but Legolas's strong arms kept her feet planted on the ground. A single word was not exchanged; none were needed. Everyone understood everybody else. Everyone was afraid. That was their common ground. Otherwise, there was none.
        Nimbus cleared her throat. She looked at everyone before she began to speak.
        "I appologize for putting you all in danger," she said softly, doing her best to sound like a princess.
        Legolas pulled her to him. Her eyes were were just above his nose, and he had forgotten that since recently she had been keeping her face in his chest. She was no longer afraid of her future, but had come realize that maybe there was more to life then she had seen before.
        "I would do anything for you," Legolas said. "Even fight off ten million men for your safety."
        "And I, the same," Gimli told the elf. "You're like the little sister I never had."
        Nimbus smiled. Arwen stepped up to her. Nimbus expected some sisterly act, a hug or words of comfort. Instead she got a slap across the face.
        "I think I deserved that," Nimbus said.
        "You have killed my love and endangered the lives of the people who love you," Arwen spat. "You are no princess."
        Gimli scowled. He walked over to Arwen and looked up at her. Although he was much shorter than her, he was still just as ruff, and got his point across.
        "She was appologizing for hurting you and everyone here. I think you owe her an appology."
        Arwen looked at the ground. There was a hidden hurt in her eyes that only Nimbus could see. Arwen's heart was shredded, and Nimbus knew that her actions were not ment to hurt her. She hugged Arwen even though it cause her shoulder great pain.
        "I understand how you feel."
        Arwen smiled.
        "I know you do."