Disclaimer: I don't own LOTR

"Legolas' Love"
by Trunks's Gal

Chapter Nine: Elf Hunter


        "What is that thing?!" Gimli demanded.
        "Keep your voice down," Aragorn demanded. "Elves are after us, and they have the best hearing, if you have not learned from Legolas and Nimbus."
        Gimli took offense to Aragorn's harsh words and closed his mouth. Frodo quicked his pace to be up with Nimbus.
        "Do you know what it is?" he asked her.
        "No," she replied. "But I've met it before, and you don't want to mess with it."
        Frodo nodded and the group kept running. Legolas grabbed Nimbus's hand.
        "I won't let it touch you," he said.
        Nimbus nodded.
        "I never doubted that."
        Gimli ran in front of the two elves.
        "I don't know about you two, but I don't want to die," he said as he past them.
        The scream rang threw the forest, and Legolas and Nimbus fell to their knees. The others didn't hear it.
        "What's wrong with you!" Gimli demanded.
        "That sound," Nimbus cried.
        Aragorn pushed past Gimli and picked up the two elves.
        "We can't hear it," he told them, "but you can all too well."
        Nimbus started to cry.
        "It hurts so bad," she said.
        "I believe you," Aragorn told her.
        The group sprinted to a dense patch of blackberry bushes.
        "Get in there!" Aragorn ordered.
        The hobbits grimaced and did as they were told. They were a little cut up, but okay. Gimli jumped threw next, the thorns catching on his clothes and causing him pain.
        Aragorn closed his eyes and jumped threw with Nimbus and Legolas. He watched as the black monster pass with Luniar's army. The monster didn't even notice the cries of Nimbus, saving the group...For the moment being.
        They waited in that tangle of bushes for a good hour before they came out.
        "It's an elf hunter," Aragorn said. "Only elves can hear it's cries, and they are helpless after it."
        Aragorn motioned to Nimbus and Legolas who still looked as though they were in great pain.
        "The only thing we know now is that Luniar doesn't care about Nimbus now, and he wants all of us dead."
        "Well, now that's pleasant," Merry replied.
        "He sure seems like a mad ole elf," Pippin added.
        Gimli glanced at Nimbus for a second before he helped her to her feet. Then he took a knee infront of him.
        "Your highness, I will protect you until we reach Rivendell."
        Nimbus smiled.
        "And what do you want for your boldness, Gimli?"
        "Nothing."
        Nimbus kissed Gimli's forhead.
        "You are brave," she said. "Your reward will be great."
        Gimli blushed and stood up. He helped Legolas to his feet. Aragorn watched as Gimli looked on jealously at Legolas and Nimbus as they were holding each other tight. Aragorn put his hand on Gimli's shoulder.
        "I know. Everyone is jealous of him."
        Gimli frowned.
        "I'm not jealous of him," he sneared.
        Aragorn smiled.
        "I felt the same way."
        Gimli looked up at the man and smiled. They finally had some common ground.