Hey, sorry for the shortness of this chap. But check out my new story! It’s gonna be good! Don’t worry, this one is still going to be continued. R&R
"Wooded Fear and Hidden Darkness"
by Sitrine Topaz

Chapter Seven


 


        There was something about Imladris that soothed most angers… and for some reason it was not working for Aragorn. Something about the twin elves… and the fact their guild was from Mordor and insisted on terrorizing Gondor. The twins themselves were said to have been born when the elves started traveling west. Whether or not it was true, their origin was not good for the new challenge. And the worst thing was that Legolas would defend the two, despite anything he would hear.
        One thing he learned of elves: They were stubborn in matters of love.
        “Lord Dúnadan?” Aragorn spun, finding Legolas five feet away from him on the railing of the balcony.
        “Valor,” He said, placing a hand over his heart. ‘I did not hear you come in.” Legolas chuckled slightly.
        “Your senses are not as sharp as they were, old friend.” Aragorn snorted
        “You forget, Age clouds the senses.” He frowned. “Right, doesn’t affect you.” Legolas looked stung. Aragorn had to turn away, he hated that look on any Elvin face.
        “Elessar, what have I done?” His voice was soft and hurt, almost as if her really wanted forgiveness for something he knew not of. The king of men sighed, trying to contemplate the words.
        “The she-devil you have started courting… she and her brother robbed my kingdom. They-“
        “They have names, Aragorn.” The king looked into the prince’s green eyes.
        “Legolas, do you have any idea who they really are?” That seemed to strike a nerve in Legolas’s calm form. His hands clenched into fists, the only break in his calm façade.
        “Does it honestly matter?” His green eyes flashed with anger. ‘Why does everything I do matter? How come I am criticized for being friends with Gimli, for helping in the fellowship, and now for loving someone?” he froze as soon as the word left his lips. Aragorn noticed Legolas’s sudden confusion and reached out to touch the elf’s shoulder. Legolas jerked away. “I…I…I…” His common tongue failed him. “I’m sorry.” He darted off the balcony, landing gracefully on the ground. A second later Nazglas entered the deck, looking around. She froze when she saw Aragorn.
        “What do you want?” The king demanded. He was rather surprised at her appearance. The hood and scarf he had normally seen her in had hidden her beauty.
        “I want to find Legolas. He has been very… awkward lately- I think that you have something to do with that- and I wish to find him before he does something rash. Is that wrong?”
        “No, I suppose it isn’t.” Aragorn regarded her for a long moment, watching her intently. She glared back, a trait the elves had often used to intimidate humans. He caught something, though. A slight betrayal in her brownish-gold orbs. She was afraid for him. And behind that, an older fear. Tinged with red, as it shone through her eyes. There was something wrong. “Is everything alright?” She frowned again, and looked over the balcony.
        “I would ask you the same. You are fearful of your kingdom- you’re afraid you’ll mess up.” For a second, the king of men looked shocked. “And you fear for the lady Arwen. Do not be so shocked, though I wasn’t raised an elf, I do understand how to read emotions… just as you do.” She cocked an eyebrow, suddenly reminding him of the rouge he saw before.
        “I am sorry, you just… startled me.” She chuckled lightly.
        “Startling a ranger is one thing I thought I could never do.”
        “And starling an elf is one I never thought.” Nazglas jerked backwards, surprised at his use of the elvish speech. “I can speak the language I grew up with, Nazglas.” For a long moment she stared at him much like he had done to her, but then, her face grinned.
        “Perhaps, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.” And she bolted, much in the same way Legolas had, and darted off the balcony. Aragorn could only stare after her, a look of confusion on his face.
        “Of course, I speak to the two most insane elves in this wood.”

*****

        “Legolas?” Legolas frowned as he heard his name being called from somewhere below. The voice was one he normally thought was music, yet now it was one of the last he wanted to be bothered with. “Legolas, I know you are in the Willow tree. Come down.” The Elvin prince sighed and Adjusted the way he was sitting so he could see down.
        “Make me.” A slight laugh, much like his own floated through the trees.
        “If I must.” Suddenly, the old willow began shaking. There was a laughing voice near his ear.
        I would go down, if I were you, young elf. I can shake much harder when I wish. Or I could just part my branches…
        “Um…” Legolas felt the branch underneath him shift and then felt the rush of air beneath him. Without much thought, he reached out and swung onto another branch, halting his free fall.
        Just remember prince, I can do this all day.
        “And again I am beaten like a child.” He muttered, starting down. The laughing voice of the tree and the elf annoyed him, and he smiled slightly. He got to the branch above the elf and jumped down in front of her. She jumped back, startled. He grinned. “Arwen, cousin, you forget: I am at home in the trees. And I have known far more traitorous ones then she.” He remarked, gesturing towards the willow. Arwen laughed, but soon a frown overtook the smile in her eyes. Legolas frowned as well. “Cousin?’ she looked up at him, her face sad.
        “I fear for you, Legolas. Your danger is closer than you think.”