Disclaimer: See Chapter One.

"The Return of the Ring"
by Sierra Skymist

Chapter Three: Encounter with Orcs

        They were past Bree now, riding through the swamplands. The conditions were worse as possible, wet and cold, with a myriad of all types of insects swarming about. The two hobbits and Beomer, being younger and less experienced, found traveling especially hard. During the day they wearied of riding, and during the night they could not sleep, bothered by the "breek-neek, neek-breek" of the insects.
        The third night if the swamp was the hardest, they were in the middle of the swamp where the insect swarms were greater. Gandalf would not light a fire, for fear of unwelcome visitors, and everyone was on cut rations, as they were running out of food. Gandalf had gone off to look around, taking Gimli and Legolas with him, leaving Aragorn, Beomer, and the hobbits at camp.
        "I can't stand it!" cried Frodo suddenly, jumping about agitatedly, trying to escape the insects. Faramir had a sudden urge to do the same, but being the elder of the two, resisted and remained seated.
        Aragorn smiled suddenly, as a past memory flashed in his mind. "Frodo," he said, "your father passed through this swamp when he was younger."
        Frodo stopped jumping about and looked at Aragorn. "My father traveled through this same swamp?" He looked astounded.
        "Aragorn laughed softly. "This very one." Suddenly the two hobbits forgot they were in the swamp, cold, wet, and hungry. They looked at Aragorn eagerly. Aragorn looked far away, lost in past memories.
        "Aragorn, will you tell us a story?" requested Beomer, breaking the silence.
        "Nay, not now, for already it grows darker and the rest of our company returns. We must rest for the day come."

*****

        Aragorn quickly sat up, hearing Gimli and Legolas arguing. It was early morning, the sun just beginning to rise.
        "I know not how they came and went, but they were here!" said Legolas angrily.
        "Nay, your eyes must be deceiving you, I see but strange marks on the ground, mayhap made by one of us," said Gimli, with a condescending tone.
        "There were orcs here," insisted Legolas stubbornly, green eyes flashing dangerously.
        "Why didn't they do anything then?" demanded Gimli.
        "They were spies, I am certain. They are probably planning an ambush this second…"
        "Peace!" Aragorn broke in. "Legolas, Gimli, it is not like you two to be arguing these days!"
        Legolas and Gimli stared at each other in stony silence.
        "Where were the orc tracks?" asked Aragorn suddenly.
        "On the ridge, not a furlong away," said Legolas.
        Aragorn walked over to investigate them.
        "Indeed they are, Legolas," he said, when he had come back. "It is strange though that they can appear in one place, then disappear without leaving any mark, only those prints in one place."
        Gimli looked annoyed that he had been outnumbered, but did not say anything more. Aragorn's look said he clearly did not want to become another shield between the two.
        Then the rest of the company awoke, and after a quick breakfast, mounted up. But before they started riding, Aragorn gave them a quick warning.
        "Be watchful and wary, and stay together! Orcs have been here, and most likely still are, watching our movements. Do not draw attention to yourself, it could be the death of you!"
        So they rode in silence, tension mounting on the company. The hobbits were feeling very uneasy, as if expecting orcs to jump out at them any minute. The horses, catching on the mood, were pulling at their reins, shaking their heads.
        Around noon they had ridden out of the swamp, into a bright sunny field.
        "We shall rest when we get to the hills," said Gandalf, pointing.
        And the hobbits felt despair in their hearts, for it seemed the field was many furlongs, a sea of rippling green grass. The hills were barely visible, covered in mist, it seemed. Aragorn smiled at them, and said,
        "Do not look so glum, my dear hobbits, the hills are not far, and it will be easier riding, now we are out of the swamp."
        Indeed it was, and the ponies trotted gratefully along, with no mud or potholes to hinder them. They were past the field in almost no time at all, it seemed, so pleasant was the riding.
        They had started to climb the first hill, when Legolas stopped them.
        "Wait, and listen! There are men on the hill. Look! They come down to meet us."
        They were already halfway down the hill.
        "Halt! Be you friend or foe?" said Aragorn.
        They did not halt their horses, but rode down, unheeding to Aragorn's command.
        "Orcs!" exclaimed Gimli suddenly, as they drew nearer and nearer.
        "And you do not doubt me now," said Legolas.
        "Weapons out! There are only ten, and we can defeat them. Do not get separated from each other!" said Aragorn sharply.
        And the orcs rode down and were upon them in a second. The hobbits were dazed and frightened, and stayed by Gandalf, slashing blindly everywhere with their swords. Over the battle they could hear Aragorn from the other side, shouting, "Elendil! Elendil!" Arrows flew everywhere, and several times, one of the company were almost hit.
        "Legolas!" shouted Gimli, and Legolas turned, just in time, shooting an orc in the throat. The orc's dagger, aimed between his shoulder-blades, scraped his side, instead.
        And then it was over, two orcs fleeing for their lives. Aragorn watched them impassively.
        "We must get to Rivendell. The enemy is stronger than I thought." Then wiping his blade on the grass, he sheathed it.
        "That is enough action today," said Gandalf, looking at the hobbits. "We shall camp on the other side of the hill."
        "Son of Gloin, you saved my life," murmured Legolas, quietly. "Friends?"
        Gimli took Legolas's hand in his own. "Friends once again," he replied.