"Elfsong"
by Lynliss

Chapter Fifteen: Departure


        The Great Hall of Meduseld was filled to overflowing, and Legolas had to forge a path through the tightly packed, well armored bodies to reach the front of the room. Nimoë was pulled along behind him by his firm grip on her hand, but rather would she have waited outside while the warriors were in council. The din of voices echoed off the high vaulted ceiling and seemed to reverberate in her skull. Finally, they reached the foot of the throne.
        Gandalf, Aragorn and Gimli were there, along with Eomer and other marshals of the realm, in attendance on the king. Eowyn stood as always behind the throne, where she lent her support to Theoden, but Nimoë saw that her gaze rested not on the Lord of the Mark. Rather did it linger on the rugged visage of Aragorn. The ranger glanced up at their approach. “Legolas, well met. And Nimoë, it is good to see you on your feet.”
        “It is your doing that I am as you see me. I thank you for your healing.”
        Aragorn nodded to her. “You would have done as much for me.” Then he gestured to Gandalf, “Tell us, now that we are all assembled, what is your counsel.”
        Gandalf spoke in a voice both loud and powerful and it carried throughout the hall, silencing the room. “Theoden has received word that Erkenbrand’s forces are sorely pressed at the Fords of Isen. We must ride thence with all speed and with all the fighters which can be gathered. Should Saruman’s forces take the Ford, they will have clear passage into all of Rohan. Those who cannot be numbered among the fighters will go to Dunharrow. Those riders who are too old to follow to the Fords should accompany them, and protect them if we should fail to repulse Saruman at the Isen.”
        Theoden raised his hand to command attention to himself. “That is all very well, Gandalf, but who is to lead them? I have no son, and while I have named Eomer as my heir, I cannot spare him. Who then shall it be?”
        Hama, who was near at hand, raised his voice. “We trust in the house of Eorl. Send the lady Eowyn to lead them. She is valiant and strong in character.”
        Theoden looked somewhat startled at the suggestion, but he turned to face his sister-daughter. “What say you to this, Eowyn?”
        Her eyes left Aragorn and she turned their pale blueness onto Theoden. Her face was resolute and stern, and none could believe she would fail in such a task. “Loath am I to be parted from your side, my king. I see, however, that there is a great need, and I will fulfill my obligation, although I long for the glory of battle.”
        Theoden then arose, standing tall before his throne. “So be it! The Lady Eowyn will shepherd my subjects to the fastness of Dunharrow. All others, warriors strong, will follow me to the Ford of Isen. This will be a day which will be sung of for many years. Let us hope for songs of victory and valor! Forth!”

        The massed throng of people then began to filter their way out of the throne room. Most went directly down the hill to the stables, where their horses had been made ready for them. The stomping and whickering of the proud beasts could be heard even at the gate of Meduseld, and it was clear that even the horses were anxious to join the battle.
        The companions followed the rest out of the gate and began the walk to the stables. Eomer walked next to them and offered his arm to Nimoë for her to lean on, as she was not yet strong. She was about to accept when she was startled to hear Legolas speak, “Do not touch her. She is no longer your concern, as you have failed her once already.”
        Nimoë glanced back at the Elf prince. “What do you mean? Only has Eomer tried to keep me safe. It is no fault of his that I was taken captive.”
        “I cannot agree with you. If he had allowed you to remain in our company on the hunt, or had perhaps tried harder to keep you away from Wormtongue, then you would never have suffered as you did.”
        There was confusion writ plainly on her face as she replied, “I am sorry that you see it so, but I deem that Eomer is a worthy man. He acted only as he thought best, in what he thought to be my best interest. I count him as a friend, and I wish that you would do so as well. We ride to war. It is not a time to have enmity among us. Surely you must see this?”
        A flush crossed Legolas’ pale face before he spoke and a hardness crossed his lips, so briefly that none of the companions noted it. “For your sake, I will give him the benefit of the doubt. At least until the battle is over.”
        Eomer smiled broadly. “You see! That was not so very difficult. I swear on my soul that I never meant harm to come to this fair lady.” Again he proffered his arm to Nimoë, and this time was rewarded when she laid her hand against his forearm. A flush crossed his face also, but it was from pleasure, rather than ire.
        Soon they reached the stable yard. Shadowfax cantered up to Gandalf when the wizard whistled for him, and the great beast’s hide reflected the light of the sun in such a way that he almost seemed to glow. Gandalf then threw off his cloak and was revealed in robes of glistening white. He launched himself onto the broad back of Shadowfax and the pair gleamed so brightly that all stood momentarily in awe.
        Aragorn then cried out, “Behold the White Rider!” and the call was taken up throughout the stable yard. Shadowfax pranced as if he understood that the adulation was being directed at himself and his rider.
        Horses were brought then to the rest of the company. Legolas greeted Arod, whom he had ridden earlier on the hunt for the hobbits, with pleasure. Nimoë, on the other hand, regarded Finduél with a bit of trepidation. “I do not know that I can ride such a spirited horse. My strength has not returned, and it was enough of a trial to remain on his back when I was healthy.”
        Before Eomer had a chance to offer her a seat upon his horse, Legolas swept her off the ground and placed her upon Arod’s back. “You will ride with me. Do not worry about keeping your seat, for I will hold you up.”
        Gimli, who had been waiting with them, grunted. “And you would desert me now? I ask you, who am I to ride with, for I will not ride a horse on my own. It is not to be borne.”
        With a gallant gesture, Eomer spoke, “It would be an honor to have a Dwarf of such legendary valor ride with me.”
        Thus settled, they great company rode out of Edoras, Gandalf and Theoden in the lead, with Eomer and the remaining members of the fellowship close behind. Nimoë looked back over Legolas’ shoulder and saw the figure of Eowyn, clad in silver mail, standing tall outside the gates of the city. The sun glinted off of her mail, and her golden hair blew about in the wind. She remained in place for as long as Nimoë could see her, and that was, for an Elf, a long while.