"Legolas and the Lorelei"
by GreenLeaf33

Chapter Six: Desperation


        Legolas was barely out of the forest when a strange feeling settled upon him. He heard rustling behind him as he broke out of the forest into the clearing.
        "Orcs," the elf whispered to no one. He laid his hand on his arrows preparing for battle. However the gallop of a horse made him turn his head.
        "Legolas! Legolas, please wait!" cried a familiar voice he had heard for the first time. Emerging from the forest was Lynia upon a chestnut mare, racing to span the distance between them. Then another sound caught his attention. An Orc.
        "Lynia, no, watch out!" He slung his bow over his shoulder and swiftly shot an arrow into the head of the Orc. As it dropped dead to the ground he saw Lynia's horse rear itself up and paw the ground wildly. Ten more Orcs emerged from the forest encircling Lynia and knocking her horse down. Legolas galloped back shooting arrows off trying in vain to keep the Orcs from harming her. It was too late.
        His arrow shot through the last Orc and he fell to his knees, on seeing his beautiful Lynia, stained with her own blood pooling around her. It was only a slash to her stomach, and those he knew look worse than they are. But there was so much blood, there was so much. Legolas picked Lynia's limp body up and carried her onto his horse, setting off for Rivendell. Her condition worsened as the day grew on, and he could hear her cries of pain that stung into his heart. How did this creature make him feel so differently than anyone else he had ever met? What was so different about her that gave hi this horrible pit in his heart to see her in such despair? They reached another smaller forest and he set the Lorelei down, waiting for her to open her eyes. He found a traditional medicine plant and spread it onto her gash, carefully running his fingers along her stomach, still waiting for her to awaken. He looked beside her to see a single drop of crimson on a blade of grass beside her, and he knew.and his heart cracked a little more.
        Another hour passed and her breathing grew longer and more faint, as he felt his heart cry out in despair. Legolas lit a small fire for warmth and light and slowly began to sing a beautiful song of hopelessness and desperation.

        When I saw you I found you
        When I found you I knew you
        When I knew you I loved you
        When I loved you I lost.

        Tears swelled from his eyes for the first time in his life and he felt himself washed over in pain. Why did he feel so strongly for a girl he had barely even known? He pressed his lips softly against hers, waiting for her to kiss him back but knowing it would never happen. His hand found its way to her back and gently caressed her tender skin longing for the life to spring back into her flesh. His lips lingered a moment longer, and two heavy tears splashed down upon Lynia's closed eyelids. He now understood. He loved, and he had lost.
        As Legolas began to pull back from her loose figure, he felt a warmth join his lips once again to hers. Was she kissing him back? How could it be? He pulled himself away and looked to see her almond eyes staring once again into his.
        She faintly smiled and spoke the words, "There's no use in worrying for me. If I should die, I'll make a hole and pull you up."
        Legolas found a smile of sadness at the words Lynia had uttered. "My angel," he spoke as she drifted off to sleep in the warmth of his arms. He felt her beating heart against his, and she awoke once more to pull him into a deep, passionate kiss. Their bodies entwined, and they were only trying to understand the pain the other was feeling. Two tear streaked faces gently comforting each other. One filled with despair, one trying to take the pain away. Lynia felt Legolas crying gently into her neck as she made circling motions on his back to comfort him. He had never felt this way before, they both knew what was happening, one was ready, and the other was trying to cling on for both of them.
        "Please, Legs, I'm... I'm going to be alright. I promise," Lynia cried into his blonde hair.
        The moon rose high above Legolas and Lynia, basking them in a glow of white. Just like the glow Legolas had first seen shining off Lynia's body. His last tears found their way down his cheeks as he felt Lynia's heart beat grow fainter and fainter. Her kiss was now cold and distant. Legolas felt the last of the heartbeats fade away, unable to tell if they were hers...or his.
        "I love you, and I promise I won't leave you." he cried as he slowly faded into the stillness with Lynia. And then they were nothing.