A/N: Someone told me I should stay true to the original story, but I like it better the way I'm doing it now, so if you don't like this version, I'm sorry. =) That said, here's chapter three. *AS*

"Love Never Loses Hope"
by ArwenStar914

Chapter 3: Returning Home


        Legolas came slowly back to consciousness, his body on fire with pain. Opening his eyes, he slowly moved his head and looked around him. His companions lay near him, cold and unfeeling. He attempted to sit up but fell back down with a scream. His chest screamed as well, blood beginning to seep again from his wound. Biting his lip until blood flowed, Legolas drew himself into a sitting position, almost passing out in the process. His head was spinning, but one thought asserted itself painfully. Aiwë.
        Legolas closed his eyes, trying to remember the final moments of the battle. Aiwë... run... look out!... No! Legolas opened his eyes, tears pouring down his cheeks. Aiwë had been captured by orcs, his friends were dead, and he was wounded, far from the safety of his father's halls. How long had he lain there? He was not sure, but it could not have been long, for the orcs had not yet returned to despoil the bodies.
        Suddenly Legolas heard a groan. Turning slowly, Legolas saw Thindolfin push himself up onto his hands and knees, a nasty gash on the back of his skull.
        Legolas tried to speak, but his throat was dry and no sound came forth. Thindolfin lifted his head and saw Legolas, but stared at him blankly. Slowly recognition came to his eyes.
        "Legolas!" Thindolfin said, his voice hoarse. "You are alive!"
        Legolas nodded slightly. "Barely," he croaked, wincing at the pain in his chest.
        Thindolfin slowly crawled over to Legolas and saw that the prince's shirt was shredded and soaked with blood. Pushing aside the torn shirt, Thindolfin grimaced at what he saw. A sword had torn Legolas from below his right shoulder, across his chest, stopping midway down his left side. Thindolfin looked up at Legolas anxiously. The prince was white and his breathing was shallow and labored.
        "How is it?" Legolas gasped, not daring to look at his wound.
        "It is not deep, thank the Valar, but it is not a mere scratch either," Thindolfin said grimly. "We must get away from here before the orcs return. Hold still."
        Legolas tried not to cry out as Thindolfin made a makeshift bandage for Legolas from his cloak. Thindolfin then helped Legolas to his feet, and they stumbled a few feet before Legolas sank to his knees. Thindolfin feared the prince was too weak to walk, but then he saw Legolas lift something from the ground. It was Aiwë's knife. It was then that Thindolfin realized her body was not in the glade.
        "Oh no," Thindolfin moaned, closing his eyes.
        "I told her to run, she would not listen," Legolas murmured, his voice tight as he held back tears.
        "It was not your fault," Thindolfin said gently, "but we cannot help her now. We must get away while we can."
        Legolas allowed himself to be raised to his feet, his hand still grasping the long white knife. The Elves stumbled on, thinking only of getting away from the orcs. A search party from Thranduil would not be sent for at least three more days, and there was no guarantee they would be found. Thindolfin sighed. Two wounded Elves, unarmed but for a knife, returning to Thranduil's halls, alive, on their own, did not sound very probable.     Thindolfin forgot his doubts as Legolas stumbled and fell. "Are you alright?" Thindolfin asked anxiously.
        "Must, rest," Legolas panted.
        "Of course," Thindolfin said, looking around for a place they could rest without being seen. A hollow tree was the best protection they could find, but they took it gladly, falling fast asleep.

*****

        "Six days, I would say they have found the glade by now," Legolas said, leaning heavily on Thindolfin.
        The older Elf glanced at Legolas anxiously. While Thindolfin had been improving, Legolas had been worsening. He blacked out often, and Thindolfin sometimes had to carry him. Unfortunately, the sometimes were increasing.
        "Do you think they think we are dead?" Legolas asked, trying to ignore the pain in his chest.
        "I am not sure, they may," Thindolfin replied quietly.
        Legolas stumbled and Thindolfin stopped. Legolas stood still, trying to catch his breath. After their rest in the tree, the Elves had walked until they reached a stream. Thindolfin had washed Legolas' wound and bound it, adding some herbs he had found growing on the stream bank to help ease the pain. Thindolfin also discovered that Legolas had not been poisoned by the blade, but the prince still weakened.
        "Legolas? Did you hear me?"
        Legolas turned dull eyes towards Thindolfin. The silver-haired Elf winced as Legolas looked at him. "Legolas, did you hear me?" he repeated.
        "You said you think we should stop and rest," Legolas said faintly.
        Thindolfin nodded, lowering Legolas into a sitting position. Thindolfin grimaced as he watched Legolas. What a fool I am, we should have stayed near the glade and hidden from the orcs until Thranduil‘s search party arrived. Thindolfin thought angrily. Then he glanced at Legolas and sighed. But then there is no guarantee they would have found us. I fear I am pushing him to hard, but I have no choice, I cannot heal Legolas out here and I do not wish to return too late.
        "Thindolfin, move."
        Thindolfin looked at Legolas, startled. "What?"
        "Move," said Legolas, pushing Thindolfin aside.
        Thindolfin grimaced and turned away as Legolas vomited. Valar help us, we must get back soon.
        Legolas sat up, his face whiter than it had been for the past six days. "Thindolfin, we must go faster," he said grimly.
        Thindolfin stared at Legolas. "Faster? I am pushing you too hard already!"
        Legolas shook his head. "No, I am pushing myself, do not feel bad. But we must go faster, I do not think I can go on much longer."
        Thindolfin felt fear grip his heart. If Legolas admitted he was weakening, he must truly be at the end of his strength. Helping him to his feet, Thindolfin half-carried Legolas as they walked on.
        They went for another day before Legolas gave out completely. As darkness began to close around him, Legolas could almost hear Aiwë's voice calling to him. Legolas, do not give up! Please! Then the merciful darkness took him.

*****

        "Legolas? Legolas, can you hear me?"
        Storm grey eyes slid open. "Father?"
        Thranduil smiled. "Welcome home, my son."
        "Was it a dream?" Legolas asked drowsily.
        Thranduil shook his head sadly. "I am afraid not. Last week Thindolfin returned, carrying you. We healed you and you have been sleeping ever since."
        Legolas closed his eyes. Last week... I have slept for a week?
        "How is Thindolfin?" Legolas asked, opening his eyes.
        "I am fine," Thindolfin said, coming to stand next to Thranduil. A white bandage was wrapped around his silver hair, but otherwise he looked healthy.
        Legolas swallowed hard, trying to speak but finding he had no voice. Finally, Legolas asked, "Aiwë?"
        Thranduil's face saddened, and Thindolfin bowed his head. "We have not found her," Thranduil said quietly. "I fear she is still at Dol Guldur."
        Legolas turned his head away so the others would not see the tears that flowed down his face. Thranduil looked pityingly at his son and left the room. Thindolfin placed a gentle hand on the prince's shoulder.
        "I am sorry, Legolas," he said softly, "but do not give up. Remember, love never loses hope."
        The silver-haired Elf silently left the room and Legolas pondered his words. 'Love never loses hope'... but where is hope to be found? Legolas thought sadly. He looked at the table next to his bed and saw that Aiwë's knife had been placed on it. Sitting up, Legolas lifted the knife. As he stared at the blade, Aiwë's voice rang in his head. Legolas, do not give up, please! Legolas' grip on the handle tightened. I will not lose hope, Aiwë, I will not give up. I promise.

End of Chapter 3.