Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

March 6, 2014: Como Park (St.Paul)

Join the hiking group for a hike around charming Como Lake in St. Paul. Lake Como was named by Charles Perry, who farmed a tract of land on the shore of the lake, in 1848, was renamed Lake Sancy by Henry McKenty, who attempted to build a resort on the lake, and then was renamed Lake Como by McKenty in 1856. Como Park is the largest public park of the city. It was named for the widely famed Lake Como, adjoining the south side of the Alps in Italy. Charles Perry (1816-1904) was born in Switzerland, the son of Abraham Perry, moved to Lake Johanna, where he was engaged in farming, married twice, first, in 1841, at Mendota to Emilie Bruce, and secondly, in 1849, at St. Paul to Aurelie Morissette, who previously had married Pierre Theroux. Charles and Aurelia Perry had 14 children, including Marianne Perry (1845- ). McKenty (1821-1869) was born in Pennsylvania, settled in St. Paul in 1851, and dealt largely in city lots and farmlands. Little Cozy Lake adjoins Lake Como. Glacial Lake Hamline included Como Lake and much of the park as well as surrounding portions of St. Paul. Parts of the park and the area south and west of the park were once part of a separate city, Kittsondale, which was developed around a horse racing track at the corner of Snelling Avenue and University Avenue by fur trade pioneer, territorial legislator, and St. Paul mayor Norman Kittson (1814-1888). Kittson's mansion, built in 1882 and razed in 1905, was located where the St. Paul Cathedral is now.

If driving: From I-94 in the Midway area of St. Paul, take the Lexington Avenue exit and proceed north on Lexington Avenue approximately 1.25 miles, past University Avenue, past Minnehaha Avenue, over the first railroad bridge, and under the second railroad bridge, to Como Park. Lexington Avenue winds through Como Park and will bend around the northern end of Como Lake. There are two parking lots for the Como Lakeside Pavilion, 1360 N. Lexington Parkway, one south and west of the pavilion near the fountain roundabout and one east and slightly north of the pavilion, closer to the golfing clubhouse. Park in either parking lot and meet in front of the pavilion. Map to hike start point: 1360 Lexington Pkwy N
St Paul, MN 55103-1059

Map to the Como Park Pavilion

Notes on the Development of Como Park

Back to the Thursday Night Hikes homepage

This page was last modified on February 27, 2014.