Popular Films of the Year - 1930-2003
Written and researched by M. R. & M.J. Sypniewski
FILMS OF THE 2000's:
- 2003 - The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King
- 2002 - Chicago
- Won 6 Academy Awards.
- Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, Renee Zellweger, Queen Latifah.
- 2001 - A Beautiful Mind
- This is listed as Russell Crowe's 2nd most popular movie to date. Ron Howard won "Best Director" for this movie.
- 2000 - Gladiator
- Most popular Russell Crowe movie to date.
FILMS OF THE 1990's:
- 1999 - *Star Wars I - The Phantom Menace
- This film grossed $927 million.
- 1998 - Armageddon
- 1997 - Titanic
- The top grossing film of the year at $1,834 million.
- Production costs were $200,000,000.
- James Cameron won "Best Director"
- Leonardo Di Caprio, Kate Winslet, Gloria Stewart, Billy Zane.
- Rated as the #1 Kate Winslet film
- Won 11 Academy Awards, out of 14 nominations.
- 1996 - *Independence Day
- This film grossed $809 million.
- 1995 - *Die Hard - With a Vengence
- 1994 - *The Lion King (Disney)
- The Lion King grossed $772 million.
- 1993 - *Jurassic Park
- Grossed $913 million.
- 1992 - Aladdin (Disney)
- Grossed $498 million.
- 1991 - Terminator 2 - Judgement Day
- Even though Dances With Wolves won 7 Oscars.
- 1990 - Home Alone
- Grossed $535 million.
FILMS OF THE 1980's:
- 1989 - *Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- All the Indiana Jones Movie were extreemly popular. The Last Crusade grossed $495 million in ticket sales.
- 1988 - Rain Man
- Tom Cruise, Dustin Hoffman.
- 1987 - *Fatal Attraction
- 1986 - Top Gun
- 1985 - Back to the Future
- 1984 - *Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- 1983 - *Star Wars VI - The Return of the Jedi
- 1982 - ET - The Extra-Terrestrial
- Grossed $701 million.
- Still listed as #1 Drew Berrymore film in popularity.
- 1981 - *Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Top money maker in 1981.
- Steven Spielberg directed
- 1980 - *Star Wars V - The Empire Strikes Back
- Top money maker in 1980.
FILMS OF THE 1970's:
- 1979 - Moonraker (James Bond)
- 1978 - *Grease (Travolta + Newton-John)
- Top money maker in 1978.
- 1977 - *Star Wars
- Top money maker in 1977.
- 1976 - Rocky
- Sylvester Stallone, Burgess Meredith, Talia Shire
- 1975 - *Jaws
- Top money maker in 1975
- 1974 - Blazing Saddles
- 1973 - The Exorcist
- 1972 - *The Godfather
- Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, and Robert Duvall.
- Top money maker in 1972.
- 1971 - *Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
- 1970 - Love Story
- Top money maker in 1971.
FILMS OF THE 1960's:
- 1969 - *Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
- 1968 - *The Graduate
- 1967 - The Jungle Book - Sabu (Disney)
- 1966 - Hawaii
- 1965 - *The Sound of Music
- Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, Peggy Wood
- 1964 - Goldfinger (James Bond)
- Even though My Fair Lady won 8 out of 10 Oscar nominations.
- 1963 - Cleopatra (Burton + Taylor)
- Cleopatra had the record number of costumes at 26,000/
- This film cost $43 million to make.
- It was the longest movie at 4 hours, 3 minute.
- It was also the top money maker in 1963.
- 1962 - Dr. No
- 1961 - One Hundred and One Dalmations (Disney)
- Even though West Side Story won 10 out of 11 Oscar nominations.
- 1960 - Let's Make Love
- Rated as #10 Marilyn Monroe movie of all time.
FILMS OF THE 1950's:
- 1959 - *Ben Hur
- Charlton Heston, Jack Hawkins, Hugh Griffith
- Ben Hur cost $3,900,000 to make
- It was the top money maker in 1960.
- 1958 - *South Pacific
- 1957 - The Bridge of the River Kwai
- William Holden, Sir Alec Guinness, Sessue Hayakawa
- 1956 - *The Ten Commandments
- The Ten Commandments cost $13,500,000 to make.
- It was the top money maker in 1957.
- 1955 - *Lady and the Tramp (Disney)
- 1954 - White Christmas
- Bing Crosby's song "White Christmas" has sold over 30 million copies up to the year 2001. Bing Crosby wanted to cut the song from the movie.
- 1953 - *Peter Pan (Disney)
- 1952 - The Greatest Show on Earth
- Dorothy Lamour, Betty Hutton, Charleston Heston, James Stewart
- was the top moneymaker in 1952.
- 1951 - Quo Vadis
- They made 32,000 costumes for this film.
- 1950 - Cinderella (Disney)
FILMS OF THE 1940's:
- 1949 - *Samson and Delilah
- 1948 - The Red Shoes
- 1947 - Welcome Stranger
- Movie made to play on the popularity of Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald films.
- 1946 - *Song of the South (Disney)
- 1945 - *The Bells of St. Mary
- 1944 - Mom and Dad
- Going My Way with Barry Fitzgerald and Bing Crosby won 7 Oscars and is a more lasting movie in popularity.
- 1943 - This is the Army
- 1942 - *Bambi (Disney)
- 1941 - Sergeant York
- 1940 - Pinocchio (Disney)
- had a $2,600,000 budget.
FILMS OF THE 1930's:
- 1939 - *Gone With the Wind
- Cost $4,250,000 to make
- It was one of the longest films at 3 hours and 40 minutes in length.
- won 8 awards out of 13 Oscar nominations.
- 1938 - Boys Town
- 1937 - *Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney)
- Film budget of $2,600,000.
- It was a top money maker in 1938.
- 1936 - San Francisco
- 1935 - The Woman in Red
- 1934 - Viva Villa
- Wallace Berry as Poncho Villa
- 1933 - 42nd Street
- 1932 - The Kid From Spain
- 1931 - *Frankenstein - Boris Karloff (born William Henry Pratt)
- 1930 - All Quiet on the Western Front
- Lew Ayes, Louis Wolheim
In the horror film category, there were 169 Dracula films up to 2001.
The most rented horror film was Jaws II in 1978. Jaws won the Academy Award in 1975.
The Exorcist was the most rented film in 1974. It won an academy award in 1973.
Most of the time horror films do NOT get Awards, so these were the best, at least according to the Academy and the people
You are the visitor since November 17, 2004
BACK TO MAIN PAGE
Webmaster: Margaret Odrowaz-Sypniewski B.F.A.
Last updated on March 8, 2007
Page Owner: E-Mail: RhysMatt@aol.com