-->
Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Interlake Steamship Co

JAMES R.BARKER : The James R. Barker is a Super Carrier. At 1004 feet long she was the largest ship ever built entirely on the Great Lakes in 1976. She remained Queen of the Lakes until 1981 when fleet mate William J. DeLancy was launched. She is 105 feet wide, and her depth or draft is 50 feet. The Barker was christened on Aug 7,1976. She went to load iron ore on Aug 8. The BARKER was 1 of 2 sister ships to be built for the Interlake Steamship Co. (Pickands Mather)by the American Shipbuilding Co, Lorain Ohio, as hull 905. Her plans were originally to have her forward cabins forward like the CORT, and engine room aft, but the plans changed as she was being built. The BARKER is a self-unloader, and has a Diesel engine. Her total HP that her engines produce is 16,000 HP. She also has a bow thruster. The BARKERS cargo capacity is 63,300 GT. She is named for Mr. JAMES REX BARKER President of the Interlake Steamship Co. The Barker's usual cargo is Iron Ore, and Coal.

KAYE E.BARKER: The KAYE E.BARKER(a. EDWARD B.GREENE b. BENSON FORD) is 767 feet long, 70 feet wide, and has a depth or draft of 36 feet. She was built in 1952 at American Shipbuilding Co, Toledo Oh, (AAA boat) as hull number 189.She was lengthened 120' at Fraser Shipyards, and converted to a Self Unloader at the American Shipbuilding Company, Toledo Oh. She started off in the Cleveland Cliffs Fleet as their flagship, until Cliffs got out of the Shipping business, and then was sold to Ford. After serving the Ford Motor Company as the Benson Ford, she and her fleet mates William Clay and Henry Ford II were sold to the Interlake Steamship Company, and formed a new subsitary fleet was formed called the Lakes Shipping Company. The Kaye hauls Iron Ore, Coal, and Stone. Her Cargo Capacity is 25,900 GT

CHARLES M. BEEGHLY: The CHARLES M. BEEGHLY(a. SHENANGO II ) is 806 feet long, 75 feet wide, and has a depth or draft of 37 feet. The BEEGHLY was built in 1959 at American Shipbuilding Co as hull 193. She took her maiden voyage in 1959 for the Shenango Furnace Co. This ship has had a number of minor accidents of groundings and such, and was always considered BAD LUCK because it was rumored that the cost of her to be built put the Shenango Furnace fleet in bankrupcy. The BEEGHLY is a product of a self-unloader conversion in 81, and was lengthened 96' in 72. Both surgeries were completed at Fraser Ship Yards in Superior Wis. engine, and its cargo capacity is 31,000 GT. This ship is the sister ship to the JOHN SHERWIN.

ELTON HOYT 2ND: The ELTON HOYT 2nd is 698 feet long, 70 feet wide, and has a depth or draft of 37 feet. She was built in 1952 by Bethlehem Steel Co, Shipbuilding Division as hull 4512. She took her maiden voyage in 1952. The Hoyt was lengthened 72' at the American Shipbuilding Company, Chicago Illinois in 1957. She too is a self unloader conversion boat. Converted in 1980 at the Toledo AM Ship yard. The Hoyt is usually the first Interlake boat to lay up, and usually the last boat out of lay up. Her primary cargos are Iron Ore, Stone, and Coal, but she has hauled a cargo of Sugar Beets before :-) The Hoyt's cargo Capacity is 22,300 GT.

HERBERT C.JACKSON: The HERBERT C. JACKSON is 690 feet long, 75 feet wide, and has a depth or draft of 37 feet. The JACKSON was built in 1959 at Great Lakes Engineering Works, River Rouge Michigan, as hull 302 She was converted to a self unloader by the Defoe Shipbuilding Company, Bay City Mi, in 1975. During this conversion plans also called for her to be converted from a coal burner, to oil fired fuel. The Jackson hauls Iron Ore, Stone and Coal. Her cargo capacity is 24,300 GT.

MESABI MINER The MESABI MINER is the sister ship to the BARKER. She is a Super Carrier. She is 1004 feet long, 105 feet wide, and has a depth or draft of 50 feet. The Miner was built in 1977 at American Shipbuilding Company, Lorain Ohio, as hull number 906. She was christened by Senator Hubert M. Humphrey's wife, and when the bottle broke on her haul, a hatch cover was lifted off to the crowds delight and thousands of red,white,and blue ballons came flying out. She took her maiden voyage June 7, 1977. She is a self-unloader, and her primary cargos are Ore, and Coal. Her name pays tribute to the Messabi Iron Range, and the official spelling of the mine had to be adopted by the US Government.

PATHFINDER (a. J.L.MAUTHE) The PATHFINDER is a new barge that came to the lakes in 1998. She was the old straight deck bulk carrier J.L.MAUTHE. The PATHFINDER is pushed by the tug Dorothy Ann. She was built in 1953, at the Great Lakes Engineering Works, River Rouge Michigan as hull number 298(as the MAUTHE)and is 606 foot long, 70 foot wide, and has a depth or draft of 36 feet. The PATHFINDER'S carring capacity is 21,260 GT. She is a self unloader. Her primary cargos are Stone, Ore, Coal, and Dry Bulk. DOROTHY ANN The DOROTHY ANN was built in 1999, and is Interlake's newest vessel. She is a tug. The DOROTHY ANN is about 141 foot I am guessing. She is the biggest "Z" Tug ever built. She is 40 foot wide, and has a depth or draft of 24 foot.

JOHN SHERWIN The JOHN SHERWIN is the largest traditional laker on the great lakes. She is 806 feet long, 75 feet wide and has a depth or draft of 37 feet. She was built in 1958 by the American Shipbuilding Co, Toledo Ohio, as hull 192. She took her maiden voyage on May 4, 1958 to load iron ore pellets. She was lengthened 96 feet in 1973 by Fraser Shipyards, in Superior Wis. This ship sadly has not operated since Nov 16,1981. Nearly 19 years ago. Rumor has it though that she will be converted to a self unloader, and sail as a steamer. She has been mothbolled ever since. She is a straight decker, and has a Turbine engine, her cargo capacity is 31,500 GT. She is the sister ship to the BEEGHLY. (If anyone out there has any items off of her that they would be willing to sell, please contact me)

LEE A.TREGURTHA The LEE A. TREGURTHA (a. SAMOSET b.CHIWAWA c.WALTER A.STERLING d. WILLIAM CLAY FORD) is 826 feet long, 75 feet wide, has a depth or draft of 39 feet. The TREGURTHA was built as a tanker in 1942 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co.,as hull 4378, and served in WWII. After the war was over, she was purchased by Cleveland Cliffs Steamship Co, and lengthened with a new midbody of 228 feet. She was renamed Walter A. Sterling in 1961. Again lengthened 96 feet at the AM Ships Lorain Yard in 76. She was converted to a self unloader in 1978. In 1985 she was purchased by Ford, and renamed the William Clay Ford. After Ford left shipping, she was purchased by The Interlake Steamship Co, and placed on its new substitary fleet, Lakes Shipping Co in 1989. At this time she was renamed, Lee A. Tregurtha. Her primary cargos are iron ore, coal and stone. Her capacity is 29,300.

PAUL R.TREGURTHA The PAUL R. TREGURTHA(a. WILLIAM J. DELENCY) is the biggest ship on the great lakes known as the "Queen of the Lakes." She is 1013 feet long, 105 feet wide, and has a depth or draft of 56 feet. The TREGURTHA was built in 1981 at American Shipbuilding Co, as hull 909. She took her maiden voyage on May 10, 1981. She is a self-unloader, and her typical cargo is coal, and iron ore. The Tregurtha is named for Interlakes part owner, Paul Richard Tregurtha.