Site hosted by Build your free website today!

Transcribed Historical Markers, LaPorte County, Indiana

Entries in maroon font have been transcribed from Johnson's New Universal Cyclopaedia, published in 1876 by A.J. Johnson & Co., New York.

Camp Anderson

One of three Civil War training camps in LaPorte County. Site is one-forth mile west. Named for Colonel Edward Anderson. Used 1863-1864 to train Indiana Union volunteers of the 127th, 128th, and 129th regiments.
(Marker located at the corner of Michigan Blvd. and Carroll Ave. in Michigan City.)

Battle of Trail Creek

Dec. 5, 1780

In the aftermath of George Rogers Clark's conquest, skirmishers from Cahokia led by Captain B. Hamelin and Lt. T. Brady, who had raided Ft. St. Joseph, were defeated and captured near here by fur-trader Etienne Champion and Potawatomi allies of the British.
(Marker located in Krueger Memorial Park along Liberty Trail, Michigan City.)

Cahokia, a post-village of St. Clair county, Illinois, on the Mississippi River, 10 miles northwest of Belleville. It was settled by the French about 1683, and its present inhabitants are of French descent, and preserve many of their old ancestral customs. Coal is found in the neighborhood. The name is derived from a tribe of Indians long extinct.

Old Michigan City Lighthouse

This lighthouse built in 1858 replaced 1837 lighthouse built at water's edge. Remodeled in 1904. Light placed at end of pier. Seven keepers and fourteen assistant keepers served here 1837-1940.
(Located near mouth of Trail Creek at Washington Park, Michigan City).

Barker Civic Center

The Former Barker Mansion

Given to the people of Michigan City as a cultural and civic center by Mrs. Catherine Barker Hickox in 1968. The original house was built on this site (circa) 1858 by John Barker Sr. (1814-1878). It was reconstructed in 1901 by John H. Barker (1844-1910), prominent industrialist, civic leader and benefactor. Entered on National Register of Historic Places, Oct. 10, 1975.
Maneat Nomen Sicut Monumentum.
(Let the name be the monument)
(Marker located on the corner of Washington and 7th Streets in Michigan City).

Civil War Camps

Two Civil War camps, Colfax and Jackson, were located near La Porte. The 9th and 29th Indiana Volunteer Infantries were organized and trained here.
(Marker at the intersection of State Roads 2 and 39, on the west side of La Porte.)

La Porte County Courthouse

County formed by Indiana General Assembly and La Porte selected county seat 1832. Three courthouses built on this site: first 1833, second 1847-48. Present courthouse constructed 1892-94 of Lake Superior Red Sandstone, designed by Brentwood S. Tolan of Fort Wayne in Richardsonian Romanesque Style. Incorporates cornerstone from 1848 courthouse.
(Marker at the southeast corner of the courthouse lawn, near the intersection of State Roads 2 {Lincolnway} and US-Hwy 35 in La Porte.)

Fort Wayne-Fort Dearborn Trail

Sauk (sac) Indian Trail, a southwest fork of the Fort Wayne-Fort Dearborn Trail, was an early route travelled by Indians from Rock Island, Illinois to Detroit, Michigan to collect their annuities from the British for their services in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Pioneers used this as a cross country trading route.
(Marker located in a roadside park on US-Hwy 20, southeast of the town of Rolling Prairie.)

Historical Marker

On Monday, May 1, 1865, shortly before 8:00 a.m., the train bearing the body of President Lincoln stopped briefly at this site. This marker, erected by the Westville Women's Club, honors the centennial anniversary of this event.
(Marker located on Main Street near the Lincoln Memorial in the town of Westville).

Go Back to My Index

Copyright ©, 2001 T.C. Wyman, All Rights Reserved.