Descendants of Brychan
Generation No. 1
1. PRINCE ANLACH1 OF IRELAND1 died Unknown.
Child of PRINCE ANLACH OF IRELAND is:
2. i. BRYCHAN2 AP ANLACH, b. Ireland; d. Unknown.
Generation No. 2
2. BRYCHAN2 AP ANLACH (ANLACH1 OF IRELAND)1 was born in Ireland1, and died Unknown. He married MARCHELL VERCH TEWDRIG1. She died Unknown.
Child of BRYCHAN AP ANLACH and MARCHELL VERCH TEWDRIG is:
3. i. ELERI3 VERCH BRYCHAN, d. Unknown.
Generation No. 3
3. ELERI3 VERCH BRYCHAN (BRYCHAN2 AP ANLACH, ANLACH1 OF IRELAND)2 died Unknown. She married CEREDIG AP CUNEDDA3, son of CUNEDDA AP EDERN and GWAWL VERCH COEL. He was born Abt. 413 in of County Ceredigion, Wales3, and died Unknown.
Notes for CEREDIG AP CUNEDDA:
[Mike Ashley, The Mammoth Book of British Kings & Queens, (Carroll and Graf Publishers, New York, 1998), pg. 131.]
[EB1] CEREDIG Ceredigion, fl 470s.
Ceredig is the eponymous founder of Ceredigion, and supposed son of CUNEDDA. His existence, though, is subject to doubt, and his name may have been assumed by working back from the name of the territory. If he existed, he must have been a younger son of Cunedda, as EINION inherited the heartland of Venedotia (Gwynedd), while Ceredig inherited the coastal territory of west Wales. He probably ruled it as a sub-kingdom of Gwynedd, assuming it existed as a kingdom at all at that time. There is some archaeological evidence to suggest that the southern part of Ceredigion was culturally part of Dyfed and thus had closer Irish connections. Ceredig is recorded as marrying Eleri, the daughter of BRYCHAN, which, if true, would place him closer to the early sixth century. Two of Ceredig's daughters married the native rulers of Gwent and Glywysing (see TEITHFALLT and GLYWYS) suggesting that Ceredig was keen to develop alliances in south Wales. It is just possible that this Ceredig bears some relation to CERETIC, the ruler of Alclud, for although the latter is clearly identified with Dumbarton, both would have had opportunities to undertake slave trading in Ireland.
Ancestral File Number: MQQH-TS
Reign: 470, Ruler of Ceredigion4
Children of ELERI VERCH BRYCHAN and CEREDIG AP CUNEDDA are:
i. CORUN4 VERCH CEREDIG, d. Unknown.
ii. GWAWL VERCH CEREDIG, d. Unknown.
iii. IUSAY AP CEREDIG, d. Unknown.
iv. SANDDE AP CEREDIG, d. Unknown.
1. Mike Ashley, The Mammoth Book of British Kings & Queens, (Carroll and Graf Publishers, New York, 1998), pg. 158.
2. Mike Ashley, The Mammoth Book of British Kings & Queens, (Carroll and Graf Publishers, New York, 1998), pg. 131.
3. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Ancestral File (R), (Copyright (c) 1987, June 1998, data as of 5 January 1998), "Electronic."
4. Mike Ashley, The Mammoth Book of British Kings & Queens, (Carroll and Graf Publishers, New York, 1998), pg. 130.
[Brychan Family Tree]
Steven R. Lusk © 2005 | All Rights Reserved
This page was last updated on 05/28/2006