Hello from Forbes NSW Australia, my name is Michael and I am self employed as a Handyman in Forbes, a small country town in the central west NSW with a shire population of 10000+....
......................................................TIP OF THE MONTH: "Do you have a leaking garden tap? Don't even think about reseating it or changing the washer,REPLACE THE TAP! They're between $5 to $10 to buy. No mucking about, turn your water off, unscrew the old tap with a shifting spanner, wrap the thread with quality pink plumbers thread tape(white tape will suffice)and screw back on. Don't forget to turn your water back on."
If anyone has a problem or question about a DIY job you have planned and would like some tips or answers please email me and I will get back to you ASAP.
- When digging a post hole, bell out the bottom of hole for greater strength when filled with concrete.
- When concreting, always make sure that the dog is tied up!!!
- If your hammer keeps slipping off the nail , just rub the hammer head on concrete until flat. Now try.
- When cutting a door to size, clamp a straight edge on for a guide.
- When putting up a garden shed, 9 times out of ten it's come with the wrong instructions.
- For a perfect angle when sharpening drill bits on a grinder, put two large nuts side by side on a bench & hold drill bit up to them for a guide.
- When you have finished using your wheel barrow, rub or spray oil in it to prevent rust & it's easier to clean after use.
- If your telephone buttons have to be pressed more than once all the time, take the cover off & clean back of buttons & the circuit board with an alcohol cleaning fluid.
- When joining timber, use Selleys Aquadhere in the joint before nailing or screwing together.
- When pulling nails out of quad or any timber you would like to recycle again, using a pair of pincers pull the nail from the pointy side all the way through.You will only have to putty a little hole compared to the damage you may cause if trying to hammer the nail out the way it went in.
- Do you get numb or sore fingers holding the paint can handle too long. Simply cut a 4 inch length of garden hose off and then slice it length ways, slide it over the handle then wrap with electrical tape.
Helpfull Handyman Links in Australia
Hardware Shop On Line
Tradingpost On Line
Dulux Paint Tips