1. Is it right? 1 John 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there
is a sin not unto death.
2. Will this bring me near some temptation? Rom. 13:14 But put
ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil
the lusts thereof.
3. Does this give place to the devil? Eph. 4:27 Neither give place
to the devil.
4. Is there anything in scripture contrary to it? Isa. 8:20 To
the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word,
it is because there is no light in them.
5. Am I trusting God or depending in my own strength? Prov. 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
6. Is it doubtful? Rom. 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if
he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is
7. Will it cause someone to stumble? Rom. 14:21 It is good neither
to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth,
or is offended, or is made weak.
8. Does it appear evil to anyone? 1 Ths. 5:22 Abstain from all
appearance of evil.
9. Would the Lord Jesus Christ do this? 1 Pet. 2:21 For even hereunto
were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example,
that ye should follow his steps: Rom. 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he
also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might
be the firstborn among many brethren.
10. Will it please God? John 8:29 And he that sent me is with
me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that
11. Am I trying to impress others with my spirituality? Acts 5:1-11
But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought
a certain part, andlaid it, at the apostles' feet. But Peter said, Ananias,
why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep
back part of the price of the land? Whiles it remained, was it not thine
own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power?why hast thou
conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto
God. And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and
great fear came on all them that heard these things. And the young men arose,
wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him. And it was about the
space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came
in. And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so
much? And she said, Yea, for so much. Then Peter said unto her, How is it
that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the
feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry
thee out. Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the
ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her
forth, buried her by her husband. And great fear came upon all the church,
and upon as many as heard these things.
12. Do I hope somebody notices me? Gal. 5:26 Let us not be desirous
of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
13. Does it edify? 1 Cor. 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when
ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a
tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done
14. Am I being selfish? Phil. 2:3-4 Let nothing be done through
strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better
than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also
on the things of others.
15. Am I denying the flesh? Luke 14:26 If any man come to me,
and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren,
and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. Luke
9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny
himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
16. Am I putting Christ first? Col. 1:18 And he is the head of
the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead;
that in all things he might have the preeminence.
17. Is it expedient? 1 Cor. 10:23 All things are lawful for me,
but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all
things edify not.
18. Will it bring glory to God? 1 Cor. 10:31 Whether therefore
ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
19. Am I deceiving myself or being deceived? 1 Cor. 3:18 Let no
man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world,
let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
20. Do I know better? 1 Cor. 8:10 For if any man see thee which
hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience
of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered
21. Am I searching for an excuse to justify what I want to do?
Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before
men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among
men is abomination in the sight of God.
22. Do I have to hide it from anyone? Sneak around? 2 Cor. 4:2
But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness,
nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth
commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
23. Did I handle the word of God deceitfully? 2 Cor. 4:2 But have
renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor
handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth
commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
24. Will this in anyway defile God's body? 1 Cor. 3:17 If any
man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God
is holy, which temple ye are. 1Cor. 6:19 What? know ye not that your body
is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and
ye are not your own?
25. Can I sincerely thank God for it? 1 Thess. 5:18 In every thing
give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
26. Can I do this in Jesus' name? Col. 3:17 And whatsoever ye
do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks
to God and the Father by him.
27. Can I go all the way with it? Col. 3:23 And whatsoever ye
do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Eccl. 9:10 Whatsoever
thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor
device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
28. Have I prayed about it? Ps. 66:18 If I regard iniquity in
my heart, the Lord will not hear me: Phil. 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but
in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests
be made known unto God.
29. Will it increase or hinder my prayer life? 1 Pet. 3:7 Likewise,
ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto
the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the
grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
30. Am I breaking one commandment in order to keep another? Jer.
48:10 Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed
be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
31. What does my pastor think about it? Hebr. 13:7 Remember them
which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God:
whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation. Hebr. 13:17
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch
for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with
joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
32. What does my church brethren think about it? Prov. 11:14 Where
no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there
is safety. Prov. 15:22 Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in
the multitude of counsellors they are established.
33. Would I like to be doing this when Jesus Christ returns? 1
John 2:28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear,
we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. 1 John
3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we
should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because
it knew him not.
34. How will it appear at the Judgment Seat of Christ? Rom. 14:10-12
But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy
brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For
it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and
every tongue shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall give account
of himself to God. 1 Cor. 3:11-15 For other foundation can no man lay than
that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation
gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall
be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed
by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If
any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself
shall be saved; yet so as by fire.