The Toast Chronicles
(above picture is artist rendering of toast)the semester long study of toast. toast is cool. we believe it is quite possibly the best, most versatile and overall coolest food ever. this has been our attempt to study the uncomprehensable goodness that is toast.
The Official Toast Chronicle
- Day 1: went and ate mock-breakfast after we finally got up and moving at 11:30. my friend mike had toast, and prepared it to a nice golden brown. very good technique there. he had it with butter (country crock, to be precise). amanda forgot that toast chronicle started today, and accidently got bagel. toasted the bagel to make up for her insolence. it was good, but it wasn't toast.
- Day 1.5: the inner turmoil, the torture. duty, versus my terrible cravings and whims. tonight on toast vs the ultimate nite in ...(nachos plus, mikes lemonade, watching a random movie, like bill and ted's excellent adventure). winner: the ultimate nite in. sorry toast. tomorrow, we'll try harder.
- Day 3: we both ate toast today. go us. mike's gone mad over trying out all the toppings on the condiment bar, so today it was toast with cream cheese and powdered sugar. conclusion: pretty damn weird. plus, if you're going to put anything like powdered sugar on a wonderful toasty base, you need something fatty (think lard, syrup, etc) to make sure the sugar sticks to the surface. weight gain woes begin here my friends. amanda was feeling a bit more low key, so she got some cinnamon-raisen toast, and it was grand.
- Day 4: mike's not used to eating breakfast, so he didn't know if he could handle the toast this morning. made some anyways and packed it in his bag for a snack. good plan compadre. that's using your 'toast sense.' amanda had some toast with cinnamon this morning, along with her well-balanced meal of lucky charms. they're magically delicious, you know.
- Day 5: mike got two pieces of the above-mentioned cinnamon-raisen toast, but was looking for more variety than he got. next time, he promises to actually put forth the effort instead of just going for the bag of bread that's already opened. amanda wasn't feeling toasty, again. midway through the meal, her glass of diet coke fell over on to her mail she had just got. the workings of a bitter toast god? (edit: amanda, remember that we were trying not to be a toast cult?)
- Day 7: mike and amanda breakfasted this morning on some lovely toast. mike had his standard style with butter, and amanda made herself a little toasted peanut butter and jelly. sweetness. later, amanda returned and had another awesome toast sandwich. this time, a blt of sorts. it freaking rocked. the fact that it was toast, not just regular bread, totally made the difference. we're detailed-oriented people here.
- Conclusion: TOAST ROX!!!