The United States Naval Reserve Merchant Marine Insignia was not worn on United States Naval uniforms, but on those of the merchant marine
to indicate that the wearer was a member of the naval reserve. It could be either embroidered or metallic pin-on type
as is the above example. The insignia is two and three-eighths inches long and was worn on the left breast. It
was stated that the insignia was not to be worn on United States Navy uniforms. Under certain circumstances officers were required
to wear the insignia by law. These included those officers serving in vessels operating under license of the Bureau of
Marine Inspection and Navigation or serving on certificates of registry issued by the Secretary of Commerce. This
insignia was first approved on October 11, 1938.