|WAVES Collar Insignia|
|Enlisted WAVES Uniform|
In July 1942 the WAVES (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service) was established as a component of the Navy Reserve Force. On March 20, 1943 official uniform regulations were issued. The WAVES uniform had a collar insignia that consisted of a reserve (light) blue propeller and a white anchor for the navy blue uniform or a navy blue propeller and reserve blue anchor for the white uniform. This insignia was worn by both officers and enlisted WAVES, but not by members of the Navy Nurse Corps who had a different uniform.