A Colonel and Flight Surgeon of the 11th Air Force based in Alaska wears embroidered wings.
Qualification badges for Army Aviators were originally adopted in 1913. The design was
revised in 1917 to one with a winged shield bearing the letters U.S. and again revised to the
modern appearing design without the letters U.S. in 1919. In addition to the familiar pilots
wings, any other flying personnel were authorized badges as aircraft became larger
and crews bigger. The date is the date that the particular design was introduced. In some
cases the title of the badge was changed.
Balloon Pilot (1)
Senior Balloon Pilot
Service Pilot (2)
Liaison Pilot (2)
Technical Observer (3)
Flight Surgeon (3)
Flight Nurse (4)
Flight Surgeons' and Flight Nurses' badges were gold until 1944 when the color was changes to silver.
Air Crew Member
Flight Engineer Early Version (5)
Flight Engineer Regulation Version
Flying Instructor Insignia
Flying Instructor (6) 1943
This insignia was worn on the right uniform cuff not over the left breast as with other wing badges.