Dedicated on June 19th, 1999. The day of Private Owens' mark in history while manning the Guns at Stephenson's Depot, VA near Winchester.
Today's 1st Maryland Artillery Battery with the Owens Monument.
It was an Honor for us to be able to be a part of this tribute to a great Civil War hero and a true Marylander, on the 136th Anniversary of the Battle of Stephenson's Depot.
History of Private Owens:
In 1993, Maryland Governor William Donald Schaefer proclaimed June 5th "Benjamin Welch Owens Day" and Owens was posthumously awarded the Confederate Medal of Honor. Private Owens was one of only 43 Confederates to be awarded this medal. He was the Only Marylander, which makes this a truly significant honor for the State of Maryland.
April, 1861 - The War between the States had begun. The State of Maryland has been forcibly kept in the Union. Over the next four years many true Marylanders "Go South" to fight for States rights and the Confederacy. One of these brave men is Private Benjamin Welch Owens of Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Private Owens would enlist in the 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A on the 3rd of June, 1863. On June 5th the line of march to Gettysburg would begin, and he would have his first baptism of battle at Stephenson's Depot, holding off Union forces. This battle was later called by General Robert E. Lee "The Thermopylae of the War." During the battle Private Owens single-handedly held off the enemy forces-continually firing his cannon after his compatriots had been wounded. This occured until officers and additional help could make it to the guns to assist. This action has been regarded as one of the most brilliant artillery achievements in the War in Virginia.
A group of Marylander citizens felt that this event was an integral part of our history and formed a committee to raise money for a monument to honor this forgotten hero. Private Owens represents all the Maryland boys who fought for "a War of ideas, political conceptions and loyalty to ancient ideals of English freedom." Nationally known artist Ron Moore was commissioned to build this sculpture and erected in southern Anne Arundel County, Maryland. The monument is along Rt.408 & Ed Prout Rd, in Lothian, MD at the Mt. Calvary Southern Methodist Church. The dedication for this monument was held on June 19th, 1999, around the 136th year anniversary of the battle of Stephenson's Depot.
To help fund this cause and its upkeep, please send a tax deductible contribution to:
Return to 1st MD home page